Columbia University Reviews

1,121 reviews
I love Columbia University! Not only are the faculty members and instructors an experts, but they do care about the students. They take time outside class to engage with students and help them go the extra mile. Another great element is the student body. It is well versatile and have students from all over the world.
Overall, I have had a fantastic experience at Columbia. It was a bit of a shock moving to New York, but after a year of going to Columbia, I can say that I am just about fully adjusted to living on my own in the big city. The only negative I have experienced at Columbia is getting used to the socioeconomic differences, with myself coming from lower income and most of my peers coming from high income families.
Always there to help when you need it. I would like to see more grants or scholarships available for Columbia students.
Start Your Review of Columbia University
I really love the location and the campus. Being in the heart of NYC is incredible and there are so many opportunities that come with being a student here. I've also had a great experience with my teachers and classes.
I visited Columbia at the end of March with a group and loved the vibe of the campus. Although I want to be as close as I can to or in the city, my ideal college campus needs look like a university setting. NYU, on the other hand, is right in the middle of the city and sometimes you can't tell where the buildings are without the NYU flags. I liked Columbia much better in that sense and I personally do not need to vouch for the education standard because we all know an ideal place to go for an intelligent, hard working student. Walking around the main area made me feel like I belonged there!
I feel as though it is difficult to tap into all of the university's resources as a first generation, low income student. I think if this community had more visibility on campus, it would be easier for me to benefit from all the networks and opportunities Columbia has to offer.
Columbia is in NYC and is the perfect place to connect with a wide variety of people who care about issues similar to yours.
Academics are good but the price is outrageous. Great campus in a great city, and some professors are amazing. Lots of opportunities, but the name recognition alone is what sets it apart.
Columbia has one of the most amazing and diverse student bodies I've ever seen. In addition, the location in NYC only brings unique resources and opportunities that no other university is able to access. There are just so many amazing events going on both on campus and in the city, and Columbia is just as lively as New York.
Columbia is known for it's academic rigor and it's well rounded education. The work load is incredibly heavy and you need to be prepared to make a lot of sacrifices if a student would like to attend Columbia. The biggest struggle of Columbia is having the skills to maintain good study habits and handle the extreme stress levels that come with being a student there. The school does what they can to aid in managing your course load, but at the end of the day it's mostly up to you. There's a unique level of independence for the students and succeeding at Columbia means you need to be able to teach yourself a lot of the material and keeping up on your own.
I have had a wonderful time at Columbia University. The students here are extremely friendly and always willing to help each other out. I am particularly happy I chose this university because of our core curriculum. I have taken courses in philosophy, literature, and African history because of our core curriculum. I am convinced that I will leave this institution as a well-rounded individual. Lastly, this university has opened many doors for me as I have had the opportunity to network with top companies and learn skills that I know will benefit me in the workforce.
Columbia is simply outstanding in every way. You can't beat the academics, the opportunities it provides, or the location!
I just started graduate work at Columbia University, and as a career-changing I have been surprised by the amount of support and resources available. It will be a very challenging next few years, but the programs commitment to excellence are indisputable and I can't wait to be an excellent journalist.
Lots of resources, friendly students, prepares you well for the real world, great liberal arts curriculum
I am a junior enrolled in the College. Columbia will make you cultured. Columbia will make you grow. Columbia will make you question everything. By virtue of being in the greatest city in the world, Columbia will bring you the city. It will also bring you the world. From Homer to the Big Bang, your mind will expand beyond measure. Your heart will soon follow.
Listen; there's something you have to do. Stand atop the steps of Low Library on an evening here. Feel the thin, New York air inflate your lungs; look down at Butler. Read the names: Homer, Herodotus, Sophocles, Plato, Aristotle, Demosthenes, Cicero, Vergil. The greats, the immortals. You will be here one day, too. Columbia is like no other. Here, you will learn to ponder the greatest questions of humanity's past. Here, you will carve out a future worth living, for all people.

Welcome to the golden age of Columbia.
The people were great at Columbia and I had a great experience. However, I sometimes got the sense that the administration didn't really care about students and it could feel disaffecting.
Start Your Review of Columbia University
This placed changed my life. I am continuously surrounded by passionate, forward-thinking individuals that begin as my classmates and end as my dear friends. Columbia is certainly entering a golden age, with its location in New York City and increasing academic research capabilities and undergraduate focus.
Columbia is a high-stress environment, and that works for the people who go there. While there's a "we're all in this together" vibe, it would help if the administration gave off the aura of caring about students a little more. We aren't just investments—we're people, too.
I'm a non-traditional student at Columbia University's School of General Studies. The administration at Columbia GS has been phenomenal - it is very easy to get help for anything. Whether you are trying to get academic help or help with some paperwork, the GS administration will not disappoint.

The instruction and classes that I've seen so far in my first semester have been phenomenal as well.