Columbia University Reviews

1,100 reviews
As with other colleges, Columbia was something I needed to adjust to. What Columbia has that other colleges may not, is an amazing support system to make sure students transition into i]their new lives as smoothly as possible.
Over the summer of my junior year I took an architecture course at Columbia University for 3 weeks and loved it. The professors are very supporting and engaging. The people there are so welcoming and the campus is just beautiful.
The school is on a small campus making places accessible. There are several resources available to students and free online subscriptions to great software. the instructors are knowledgeable and very kind.
Start Your Review of Columbia University
This college may be one of the best, but as always, it is the students here that make it the school that it is. Everyone here is pretty motivated and aiming to do well. The atmosphere is quite stressful as the workload is heavy. In the Engineering school, students have to take 5 classes every semester just to get the requirements finished, unlike some other colleges/universities where 4 classes are enough. Some professors are better than others, but that goes for every school.
It's a place with endless possibilities. And the campus is nice. The location is in upper west side of Manhattan, close to everything you need. You'll find interesting people here, all very different. You will definitely have an eye-opening college experience.
The location is very nice, because it is in the middle of New York. You are situated on the upper west side, which means you are just a subway ride away from anywhere you want in New York. It is also one of the safest campuses in the country. The dining halls are very highly rated as well, and you are on a dining plan all four years, so it works out very well. The on-campus housing is also very good, especially due to the fact that it is near impossible to find off-campus housing. Overall, the school is very good in terms of its location and accommodations. The student life is pretty good, but could use some work in terms of being less intense.
To me, Columbia University is a top-tier university with incredible educational opportunities. At times, it can be tough to stay afloat in the deep stress culture present on campus, as well as maneuver the majority wealthy student body. However, the education, the resources, the surrounding communities, and the amazingly talented students themselves contribute to a unique experience that few other universities have to offer.
After one semester I would only give three stars for my graduate experience at the School of Professional Studies, within Applied Analytics program. Initially my early decision application was not reviewed until August, when the expected wait for decisions was in March. The school has very few opportunities for grants and scholarships, and few resources for financial aid advice. As a commuter student who mostly takes online classes, having to pay over $500 in campus fees per semester that I am unable to take advantage of is unreasonable. I feel the education I'm being provided does not make up for the extremely high tuition and fees.
This school is honestly such a good engineering school for those who also want a rounded education and the opportunity to take classes outside of their major.
Columbia is great for reasons of getting good jobs and making great connections, however most students are unhappy here as it is majorly competitive.
An excellent university, but the rigor can be quiet a turnoff. It's also centered in a busy high-traffic area next to a hospital, so sirens are more common than the sound of birds.
The people are stuck up

No parking

No athletic ability among students

Professors are difficult

Tuition is very expensive, not particularly because the education is better, but because it's an Ivy

You're buying a name, not an education
I have found my experience at Columbia to have been one of endless discovery. In this review I will focus on the Core Curriculum, which all students in the College and the School of Engineering take in one way or another. Although there is a valid claim to the antiquity of the texts themselves, Columbia's teaching and discursive methodology is second-to-none. The way I see it, there is universal value in being well-read; it is a prerequisite for engaging with the world in meaningful terms outside of what one might experience through their personal spheres. Even those who may oppose aspects of the Core -- as I have at times -- have plenty of options to respond creatively. The curriculum may appear rigid at first, but as Columbia teaches us, knowledge at face-value is nothing gained. The Core Curriculum was the most flexible aspect of my education, because there was always the lingering question of how I would bend it towards my will in hopes of doing good for this world.
The Ivy League brand is a leg up in the job market. Resources are great, education is solid. Professors vary, but are mostly good.
Love the classes and professors. If you're looking for the classic college experience though, this is not the school for you. You're living in New York City and you won't get the feel or experience of a college town.
Your peers and professors are top-notch. With diversity built into their undergraduate program via their school of nontraditional students, General Studies, Columbia offers a unique and rewarding educational experience.
One of the main things that I like about Columbia is the exposure to the alumni network after graduation. There are a lot of alumni groups that get together to network and there are reciprocal alumni organization with other universities. Columbia's location is also amazing and the campus is beautiful!
Start Your Review of Columbia University
I really enjoyed the fact that Columbia keeps their students on core curriculum for two years to build community. However, it made me very upset that the majority of the literature in their core curriculum is written by white straight men. I think that in our modern day society it is important to teach literature not only written by white men, but literature that is created by women, people of color, and the LGBTQ community.
Overall, I was disappointed with my experience at Columbia University. Many of the professors delivered disjointed, uninteresting lectures lacking in breadth and depth. The two courses I took at the Teacher’s College, one focused on educational research methods and the other on Critical Race Theory, turned out to be the most formative in helping me complete my thesis which was really the only product I had to show for my entire time there. While the advisement sessions on my thesis were moderately helpful, I figured out much of how to conduct my thesis on my own. Although I concede that my experience might have been slightly different had I not been a commuter student, the university and its faculty, nevertheless, did not meet up to my expectations. The anthropology department seems more invested in its PhD students than its Master’s students and I, for one, certainly did not advance my career prospects by attending this university.
Columbia gave me a chance to learn new things and challenge myself. There were times when I felt a bit discouraged by the immense workload. But the professors and students were friendly and encouraging enough to help when you really put the effort. The people are amazing (both students and faculty) and I thank the school for helping mold me to the person I am today. I hope to give back to the school one day in any way possible.