1. Golden, CO
  2. 4 Year

Colorado School of Mines Reviews

Very Friendly staff and professors. EXCELLENT Disability Support. A very supportive and friendly climate.
Going here has been a great experience because you know that the professors and other faculty are extremely committed to your education and how it will be useful to you in the future.
Colorado School of Mines is the best engineering school in the world. This being said, as a freshman I know that I will struggle in the school but every bit of the struggle will be worth it.
This is a great school with lots of very intelligent people. Golden, CO, is one the nicest places to live. We are only 50 minutes to the nearest ski resort. The professors are very nice and helpful. The school is challenging but that's why we are all here!
Great school, academically challenging. This is not for students looking for the 'college experience'. This school is for students who are looking for a solid career in science or engineering. The school has a great reputation and a lot of resources for career searches, with a very high placement rate of graduates into jobs. The campus is nice, and they are doing a lot of improvements/additions.
As a freshman here at Mines, I must say that I am very impressed by the quality of education, the community on campus, and the overall vibe of Mines. I had originally anticipated this STEM specific school to be very dry and single-minded in terms of its campus community, but people here are very open thinkers and are deeply concerned with the future of STEM and making that future more humanitarian in nature. The education received here is really awesome too. The professors are incredibly understanding and, while they challenge students, they create classroom environments that are very conducive to learning and leadership building. I am in love with this school.
So far my school experience has been good. For the most part the classes are hard and the workload varies from class to class. If you want to party then you have to get in with the fraternities/sororities, or at least know someone in them. The food on campus is alright and if you don't like it you can take your pick from the many different places in Golden. There isn't anything i would really want to change about this school.
Wonderful school. Easily one of the top engineering schools in the country, and maybe the world. Every program is world class. Professors are great, students are connected and act like a family. For an engineering school, the sports are amazing. Usually winning the division title in each sport.
If you want to take part in parties you have to get into fraternities/sororities or have a friend that is member of fraternities/sororities.
I feel extremely safe on campus and I think our campus takes a lot of pride in ensuring the health and happiness of students. So many faculty members and students spend all of their free time taking initiatives to take care of people and make sure that resources are known across campus.
I loved living in the residence halls and made lifelong friends there, I am so glad with the situation I ended up with and all of the living options on campus are amazing.
  • College Sophomore
  • 6 months ago
  • Housing
Greek life on our campus is very different than most, and is incredible. Greek life students are very involved and do much better than most other students on campus. They are all very friendly and there are no large stereotypes or grudges against any particular branch of Greek life.
I am not personally involved in sports on campus but the teams are amazing. They compete very well and everyone I know who is involved absolutely loves it.
Although I struggle in my classes a lot I have never felt a more compassionate and involved community in any place I have ever been. I love the campus and all of the people in it. I feel at home there and and I am very glad that I chose to attend school here and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
We have companies on the waiting list for our Career Fairs because for years a degree from Mines has been compared to gold in many career fields. Employers know that we have to work hard here, and that is the kind of person you want working for your company.
  • College Junior
  • 7 months ago
  • Value
The school is known for it's academics, and once you are suffering through it, you understand how incredible the experience actually is. Every professor that you get the privilege of learning from is more than willing to help you understand the curriculum - from entry level courses to very specific lectures. Classes range from 300+ lectures to 25 people seminars depending on your major and how far you are in your degree.
It's nice to see and become acquainted with the campus police. They address everything from a missing phone in a locked room to a group of people getting caught with alcohol on campus. They treat the students with respect and I have never questioned their compassion.
It depends on where you live. The oldest buildings - the Traditional Halls - are the smallest ones, but they have the best atmosphere. The other dorms are suite style so they feel a little more private and spacious but they lack the community feel. All buildings are a close proximity to dining and classes because the campus is small to begin with. I living in the Traditional halls and would highly recommend it.
I may be bias on this front because I am part of Greek life. More often than not, Greek life is heard throughout campus raising awareness about a variety of issues. They try to get people involved in a variety of ways and offer their service around campus. Another good point that Greek life offers is how easy it is to feel like part of the campus after you become a member. You automatically feel like you have found the people who are most like you, and this definitely helps with studying.
Unfortunately, my school isn't really known for the athletics. Most people are too stressed out with classes to attend events, but that doesn't mean the school tries to get people to come. I know other schools in colorado have a much better athletic program.