College of William & Mary Reviews

1,357 reviews
I am a prospective student. Day for Admitted Students was well organized and showcased the school's strengths - its focus on undergraduate academics and close relationships students can foster with their professors through many small seminar/lecture style classes. The campus is beautiful, the weather was perfect, and a ridiculous amount of current students were enthusiastically volunteering at the event. For anyone looking to major in government or IR, their programs seem incredible, with many opportunities to travel to DC and a very intensive and helpful Career Center that helps students find both internships and jobs.
I loved William and Mary. It was really hard. In more ways than just academics. I burned out my sophomore year in school. The culture can be such that it seems like if you aren't stressed, you're not working hard enough. My professors were some of the smartest, kindest people.
The best part of William & Mary's degree is the reputation and foundation of education you earn from the institution itself. I would change the level of intensity and expertise obtained from the classes themselves. The presentation and collaborative interaction with other students is priceless.
Review College of William & Mary
Great campus and area! The professors are very smart and willing to help you. The classes are very difficult but you learn a lot.
It is rare to find a place where everyone around you is extremely intelligent, driven, creative and passionate. William and Mary is a unique school that puts an emphasis on the potential of the individuals and the support of the community that surrounds them. I learned a lot in the classroom because of the skill and expertise of the professors, but learned even more outside of the classroom by constantly being surrounded by others who question things for the sake of understanding and growth. I will always cherish being a member of the tribe!
W&M is slightly better than an okay school. It's pretty, academics are good, food is lackluster at best, greek life is okay (we just got a new sorority and are getting a new frat). I want to transfer out, but mainly because of the mindset of the school/student body. A lot of people are entitled white rich kids who are focused on the past and think the world owes them something. Not only is the student body focused on the past (how they were mistreated in high school and etc.), the governing board constantly reminds us of W&M's "glory days" when four presidents went here. For example, one of the first things you learn at W&M is that it was chartered before Harvard, and a Native American rebellion stopped us from being built first, which would be relevant if Harvard weren't more than fifty years older than us. I want to go to a college focused on preparing me for the future, and I don't think one focused on the past can properly do that.
AMAZING PROFESSORS - BEAUTIFUL SCHOOL - VERY BAD HOUSING!

Absolutely beautiful and small, manageable campus and college. Williamsburg is a lovely place too. Professors are passionate and truly amazing, and the curriculum/class choices/education - equally amazing. Students are also not subject to being taught by graduate students.

Most dorms are really bad though especially the ones the freshman are put in, many without air conditioning. Housing selection is disorganized and favors the university and not the student. Their screening process to match roommates needs significant updating.

Not easy or cheap to get to the airport in spite of how simple they make it sound especially for those without cars and/or out of state students. Connections are not great either (avoid Norfolk airport).

W&M not helpful to out of state students. Like the extra $ but tuned into more of the in state students or ones from states nearby. It's time W&M goes back to being private.
The College of William and Mary is a very inclusive and life-giving environment. While there is a stigma of anxiety across the student body, there is also a relationship of love and acceptance.
There is a saying at William and Mary, "Those who come here, belong here." Two and a half years later, I cannot imagine going anywhere else. While better food can be found at other universities, the same beauty, history, and prestige found at William and Mary is unmatched.
Attending William and Mary was the perfect choice for me. The academics are amazing, and it was so cool to take classes in the oldest standing academic building in the country! The school offers intramural and club sports, Greek life, student entertainment and activities, language housing, and a lot more. The school has a rich history and is close by to Colonial Williamsburg. It is also close to Busch Gardens and plenty of local restaurants. Virginia Beach is only an hour away and the city of Richmond is only 45 minutes away. Going to W&M was the best choice I ever made!
I didn't know much at W&M when I applied. I knew just as little when I was accepted and paid my deposit. Most everything I know about my school, I know because I experienced it first hand. We have amazing professors here and amazing classes. We are a liberal arts school, but no student is cornered into taking random, gen-ed classes. You have options in everything you do. There is so much opportunity here, in this sleepy little town. There are downsides of course: dorms kind of suck for freshmen, food gets worse throughout the year, Greek organizations can be suspect. Overall, though, I know that I would not be any happier anywhere else. I love it here.
The college of William and Mary is an extremely challenging college. Students are exposed to different fields of work which helps them to fully express and find their self. I always thought that i wanted to go to a big university, however, coming to the college of William and Mary dispelled that penchant. William and Mary is just the right size for me. I am able to build strong relationships with peers as well as meet new faces. I highly recommend the college of William and Mary.
William & Mary is a great place for driven, passionate, and caring people. As a community of scholars and friends, W&M is amazing, and I've loved getting to know many people. The campus is the perfect size--large enough that it doesn't feel too small and that there are always people to meet, but small enough that you'll accidentally run into your friends all the time. The professors are intelligent AND personal, and as far as I've seen, they really care about their students. If you enjoy learning, enjoy challenging yourself, and don't mind working hard, W&M could be a great fit for you.

The student body in general likes to complain about the food. In reality, it's not bad. If you want gourmet meals, though, you're not getting them here.

This is getting long, but--all that to say, it's a really great place, with really great people.
I love the school and the surrounding area, it's beautiful, not to mention the students are very friendly and welcoming. As for the academics, of course they're amazing as well for having such a broad availability of majors. You can study almost anything there and get a degree for it. I love that.
The campus of William and Mary is beautiful. Whether you're hanging out at the sunken gardens or taking a stroll around the trails by Lake Matoaka, you're in for a visual treat! You have access to historical sites such as Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown. Teachers work toward student success through challenging classes. The fitness facilities on campus are great and even include racquetball courts, a rock climbing facility, an indoor pool, saunas, and a massage room. The food isn't gourmet, but certainly adequate. There are plenty of organizations to get involved with on campus and the school puts on plenty of extra-curricular activities for students to enjoy. For those that have a car, it is also conveniently located right next to a theme park (Busch Gardens), central between Richmond and Virginia Beach, and about equidistant to Charlottesville and Washington D.C. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at William & Mary and would highly recommend it.
This is probably the most beautiful college campus in all of America. W&M has incredible friendly students, staff, and professors. With that being said, nothing is easy at William & Mary. You will need to study for long hours for every single class - and this is coming from someone that never had to study in high school. The dorms are okay. This is the oldest college in America, so the dorms are quite old as well. Our athletics aren't much to cheer about, in fact, no one really goes to any of the games. There is a great amount of diversity here, which is something that W&M prides itself in. The campus is very safe. While there is a party scene, there are also other entertainment options for students who do not drink. The dining hall is good and there are other restaurants on campus as well. The college is in the middle of colonial Williamsburg, which provides lots to do and see around campus.
Amazing school with a great atmosphere, and great academics. There is a party scene if you want it, and there is basically something for everyone here. Very diverse population, Williamsburg is an amazing place to be.
Review College of William & Mary
To quote Ron Weasley "you're gonna suffer... but you're gonna be happy about it..." idk maybe I'm just not smart enough to be here but this school has been literally so tough class-wise but I love everything else about the school. Also the food is not that good at all.
The College of William & Mary is located in beautiful Williamsburg, VA. As the second oldest university in the U.S., the school and its surrounding localities are steeped in history. You will walk in the footsteps of former Presidents and dignitaries with a sense of pride. The quality of education and reputation are both superior. As a student, the faculty and course loads will push you to work very hard. However, the level of learning and sense of personal accomplishment when completing each requirement is unparalleled. It is not an easy experience, but very worthwhile and a highly recommended school for both undergraduate and graduate students.
William and Mary is vastly overrated. Many seem to fall victim to the charm of it being one of the oldest schools in the nation, and use it as an excuse to justify the poor quality of the food, dorms, and student life in general. The school is the most expensive public school in Virginia, yet despite being the most expensive it is not the best at anything. UVA has better academics, JMU has better food, CNU has better dorms, Tech has better athletics, and Radford has a better party scene.