College of William & Mary Reviews

1,375 reviews
The classes are challenging but not outrageous, I go back to my dorm every day having learned something new. The campus is safe no matter the time of day. The community William & Mary had built is inclusive and welcoming, and the students work hard to make sure everyone feels equal in their place at the college.
My favorite thing about W&M is the abundance of tradition. We have ceremonies throughout the year that you can always count on to celebrate the history of the school and the community within it.
There is still quite a bit of racial/political tension on campus. This really undermines the whole "One Tribe, One Family" mantra that the school so openly boasts.
Start Your Review of College of William & Mary
The College of William and Mary very quickly became my home away from home. I met some of the best people while participating in pep band, studying for classes, and working at Campus Recreation. Everyone is so warm and welcoming, and always pushing you to try new things! There are so many opportunities to take advantage of, whether it be helping with research projects on campus or at VIMS or taking classes on subjects you are completely unfamiliar with. The campus is beautiful and the dorms are fairly decent. The only downside to the school is the food and the fact that the weather can never make up its mind. GO TRIBE!
All of my peers at William and Mary push me to do my very best while also supporting me when things don't go exactly as planned. With such trying academics, a supportive community is one of the most important aspects of a college campus. The one issue on campus that we strive to improve every day is diversity. Some members of a few clubs and organizations around campus are less than aware of the culture surrounding the work environments and activities. One aspect that I believe could be improved on all fronts in inclusion and diversification.
William and Mary is a wonderful school. I would more so advise it to business majors and art majors. In my experience these are the fields that I see people most prepared for the next stage in their life when they graduate. I would not recommend it for people going on to med school unless they are fully confident in their ability to make straight A's under any possible conditions. I have not had any experiences in having bad professors. Some classes are extremely tough however this is necessary. Classes are small so professors are able and always willing to spend a lot of one on one time with students when help is needed. This is a stressful school however their are many resources provided to reduce this stress and help students gain any skills needed to reach their academic goals.
I like it enough. The people are friendly, the professors are fantastic. I came in very skeptical but I have warmed up to it and I have already planned the next three years.
I absolutely love this school. From the academics to the beautiful campus, this really is a great place. The professor are amazing and resources for invaluable advice and help in choosing a career path that is right for you.
The College itself is a good place. The immediate area is quaint, but it is a dead town. Williamsburg is for tourists and townies, most of which are rich old people. It is difficult to do anything in the surrounding area unless you have a car, which is unlikely if you're a freshman or sophomore. The underclassmen dorms are terrible. The food is adequate. Parties are all at off-campus houses and are held by frats/IRC. They’re boring and repetitive. You're not getting into a bar if you're under 21. The classes are not all that challenging, but be ready to take lots of exams. Course registration is a hassle. Don't expect to get half the classes you want - especially as an underclassman. Overall, 2 months into my time here, I'm not impressed by the school. It is a good value for academics and reputation, and the people are generally nice. But as a freshman, you’re limited and get the worst of just about everything. I don't know whether to transfer or suffer until I'm an upperclassman.
The college has a very welcoming admissions staff . They made the interview process easy and an overall great experience.
William and Mary is a great school. For being a small school Greek life plays a big part of the party scene, which is very small. The campus is beautiful and very safe. Professors are tough and expect a lot of the students.
My overall experience at William and Mary was wonderful. The students are involved, interesting, and intelligent. The professors are wicked smart and very focused on the success of their students (even in intro classes with upwards of 150 people). Many freshman dorms do not have air conditioning - I was lucky enough to live in Yates, where I had both A/C and a sink in my room. Also, as a vegetarian I was more than happy with the food situation in the dining halls. One problem with W&M - and probably with a lot of schools - is the way they seem to throw money around. They recently demolished Millington Hall to replace it with more Integrated Science Center. While I do enjoy these new facilities, it is disappointing to see my tuition money spent so extravagantly and callously.
I am an out of state student in the St. Andrews and William and Mary Joint Degree Programme. The small campus side and diverse views among the student population allow for active conversation between students and professors alike. The professors are always available to help you, whether it be in the classroom or otherwise.
Our slogan "one tribe, one family" is accurate. We get lots of pride from hearing about our classmates' accomplishments. Students never compete with one another, because each member member of the tribe is genuinely compassionate.
Loved the people, professors, faculty, and staff. Resources were limited for certain departments (arts) as per usual and the buildings are so old (okay I know it's the 2nd college in the U.S. ever) but renovations could be better. Also mental health services are way down on the prioritizing list.
I really enjoy William and Mary. My classes and professors have all been very engaging and the people I have met on campus have been very friendly. There are lots of nice restaurants around campus in the tourist areas, and there is usually stuff to do on campus on weekends.
I remember William and Mary having great professors who really care for their students. William and Mary professors grade more difficultly than other schools, but this means undergraduates end up producing better work.
Start Your Review of College of William & Mary
William and Mary is such a beautiful, historic campus that I feel privileged to be able to study here. Academics however, are very rigorous and students are extremely competititve. There are lots of clubs and activities to be apart of and you'll never have a dull moment here. I'm thoroughly enjoying my experience her and would not change a thing.
Going to school here has been truly enjoyable, and I've gotten to meet so many phenomenal people and been pushed to new limits academically. We have the oldest honor code in the country, and "community of trust" is a phrase you will hear a lot. You feel really safe and at home on campus just leaving your phone or your computer sitting out or walking around at night alone. The food is alright and freshman dorms are a little old and cramped, but overall it's really a great school.
I am a prospective student. Day for Admitted Students was well organized and showcased the school's strengths - its focus on undergraduate academics and close relationships students can foster with their professors through many small seminar/lecture style classes. The campus is beautiful, the weather was perfect, and a ridiculous amount of current students were enthusiastically volunteering at the event. For anyone looking to major in government or IR, their programs seem incredible, with many opportunities to travel to DC and a very intensive and helpful Career Center that helps students find both internships and jobs.