Colgate University Reviews

Colgate University has an excellent campus and learning environment. The dorms are very comfortable and in an excellent town. It was definitely my favorite campus that I have ever visited. The academics focus on small groups and classes so that you have personalized learning, which I really appreciate.
Colgate University is an amazing environment with exceptional academics, a beautiful campus, incredible faculty and students, many opportunities for involvement, and overall is a really fun and enjoyable atmosphere!
Overall, I have enjoyed my time at Colgate. I think one of the better aspects of the university is how much the professors care about individual students whether or not they are their advisees or even in the major taught by that professor. I have always felt like my professors wanted to see me succeed and that has definitely shaped my experience here.
Start Your Review of Colgate University
The campus is beautiful despite the long winters. Most students like to go out and party however I am not that type of person, yet I found a group of people with similar values as mine to bond with and call my friends. I am a minority race at Colgate which I thought would make me uncomfortable-- and it did at first-- but the people there are welcoming. I have friends with many different backgrounds and personalities. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I went to college at another place, but I am comfortable here, even if I wish sometimes there was more to do downtown or on campus. I would like to see the arts advertised more, such as ensemble concerts, drama shows and musicals.
Absolutely love my experience at Colgate! The community on campus is amazing and follows you when you graduate by an incredibly strong alumni network.
Colgate is a reputable small university with excellent education programme and very promising future career prospects!
Colgate academically was an excellent undergraduate institution. I was exposed to dedicated professors who truly cared about the advancement of their students. I was certainly held to a high standard, which although daunting at times is something I am very grateful for. The campus and village of Hamilton are also places I will miss whenever I am away from them. I truly fell in love with the local area, and I plan to return as often as possible. The only complaint I have about Colgate is the social scene. Although I had a great time, not being involved in Greek life certainly hurt my ability to excel socially. I often felt ostracized from the general student body and sometimes struggled to feel part of the social life.
Colgate is the perfect school for me. The academics are challenging but the atmosphere is not competitive. The athletics are amazing for a small, academically focused university. The campus is beautiful. It’s in the middle of nowhere but it’s beautiful, I could walk around the campus for hours. Social life is fun, kids work hard and party harder. Only this is that it sucks for a freshman guy. Like REALLY sucks unless you join an early organization or are on a team or are just an alpha dude who has connections. Still love school though.
Find your place. It is a small school, which makes it a student-oriented campus. Everyone knows everyone and the classes are smaller sizes. There also is not much in the town, but you find friends then you find things to do.
I absolutely love the community at Colgate University. Furthermore, I'm excited about all the academic opportunities I have, especially in terms of study abroad as well as exploration because only 4 classes are required for the core curriculum.
School is great, but if you are excited to study abroad, know that Colgate will charge you full tuition for your semester or year abroad, even when your foreign college has a substantially lower tuition. Then, Colgate will make you pay for additional housing costs, meals, airfare, visas, etc. out of your pocket, while they keep $25,000 in tuition differential. So studying abroad is only an option for the aristocracy, and Colgate's tuition retention is designed to line the coffers of an already pricey place.
Colgate is the best place on earth. I am a second semester sophomore and already stressing about now having enough time left on this campus. The Colgate community is so real everyone genuinely wants to be friends with everyone regardless of grade, gender, etc.. Not to mention it is home to quite possibly the best people on earth, it is so encouraged for people to be themselves and embrace their quirks. I had no idea what I was doing applying to schools but I am so lucky I ended up here, especially comparing it to others peoples experiences, it is genuinely so happy here always :)
My four years at Colgate University were some of the best and most formative years of my life. The campus is small enough to feel intimate, but large enough that you are constantly meeting new people. The academic structure is designed to allow exploration in interesting subjects while also providing in-depth knowledge in your chosen field. The professors are passionate about both their subjects and students, and many students graduate having formed lasting relationships with their professors. There is a lot of school pride and alums really go out of their way to provide opportunities to students. It snows most of the school year so it is wise to invest in a good coat and snow boots, but with or without snow it is one of the most beautiful campuses in the country. Attending Colgate was one of the best decisions I have ever made.
Campus is beautiful. Academics are excellent since class size is small with professors being outstanding. I graduated when Colgate was all male which caused students to be focused on academics. Party weekends started on Thursday and ended Monday and there were a total of four during the school year. Football and track were excellent.
Rigorous academics and plenty of resources to assist students. Comfortable facilities to learn, study, and exercise in as well. Beautiful campus with great elevated views. Overall, a wonderful place to call home for 4 years.
Colgate is isolated, though it makes up a wonderful community as a small liberal arts university. The campus is gorgeous, the services it provides are top notch and the academic experience is among the best in the world.
Colgate has changed my life. I grew up with a single parent who made minimum wage, so going to college was never a guarantee. Colgate helped me every step of the way. They aren't need blind, but they do meet full demonstrated need. I have traveled to over 15 countries, had three summer internships (fully funded by Colgate), and met with world leaders. Colgate is an incredible place, especially if you take advantage of it. Go to office hours. I went for advice on a paper and one of my professors made some calls to help me get me my dream job. Alumni will go out of their way to help you (seriously. I have a colgate sticker on my car and people will leave their business cards on my windshield in case I want to meet with them).
Start Your Review of Colgate University
Colgate is an excellent school, with good name recognition (particularly in the Northeast, and within certain industries). It is set in a beautiful area, although it is somewhat depressed once you venture far from campus. I have no complaints about the academic environment, and the professors were largely top notch. However, culturally, Colgate leaves a lot to be desired. Not coming from the most diverse of backgrounds myself, I was truly shocked by the lack of diversity and the preppy culture left to flourish by the administration. This is to be expected at a small, liberal arts school in the Northeast. But the isolated setting allowed all the worst elements of this culture to be magnified. Might be perfect for some, definitely is not for others -- but you should go in to the admissions process with militant objectivism (as with any school), and not let anyone gloss over the very real shortcomings of the school.
Colgate University is a major liberal arts university located in Hamilton, NY. It prides itself on giving its students an interdisciplinary education. On the whole, the professors at Colgate are fantastic and its resources are immense.
I enjoyed attending Colgate very much. The Alumni network is probably the largest investment return for the school. The reputation as a party school is changing with recent protests motivating safer and more conscientious greek life. The town is very small and rural with almost no resources, however, this makes road trips to cities quite fun. Similarly, the small town, harsh winters, challenging academics, and small class sizes makes the Colgate community very close.