Colgate University Reviews

I currently do not intend the college, but visited with my cousins over the summer. The campus is BEAUTIFUL! I felt like I was at Hogwarts. Everywhere we went on the tour made me feel at home, and I could definitely see myself going here. From town to the campus itself, it is like another world. While on the tour, I learned of several traditions and original quirks about the school. It's a somewhat large school with a small town feeling.
Phenomenal school with something for everyone. Colgate has all of the intimate class sizes of a great liberal arts college with all of the vast resources of a major university - not only do you get a world class education, but there is literally no opportunity they won't throw money at you to do if you put your mind to it. Study abroad is also a stand-out due to a number of faculty-run semester programs, which give you the benefit of traveling with classmates and friends rather than strangers. Countless clubs and activities, which is where you'll meet most of your friends. The campus is gorgeous and still takes my breath away.
Country club/preppy, party school. Academics are quite good but the culture leaves much to be desired. If you are academic-minded and like diversity, there are more rigorous and prestigious schools with better atmospheres (and with bigger endowments, making your education much more affordable).

However, like everything in life, it's what you make of it. A degree from Colgate (in a marketable major, kids.... Times are changing--a history degree is just not the same as an economics or hard science degree anymore, unless from top tier schools) with good grades should open some doors, if you know how to network. And Colgate does have a good network, but students really need to learn how to take advantage of it. Otherwise, Colgate just doesn't have the cachet or household name status of the Ivy League.
Start Your Review of Colgate University
Visited here for a potential college and I loved it! All the students were very friendly and the professors are very well qualified.
I have had a great time at Colgate so far. I have met some amazing people and I am getting a world-class education. I am pursuing a degree in computer science as well and I just finished the hardest course that I have ever taken in my college career, which was algorithms. I'm really starting to enjoy computer science, especially because it's so rewarding when you finish a really challenging problem. In terms of the overall campus, there is still much to be desired. As an African-American man, I notice that there is a lack of other African-American male students and professors and I would love for there to be more diversity on campus. However, there is an atmosphere of comradery amongst many people of color across campus and it is a blessing to know that when I feel alone, I will always have someone on campus that will listen to me.
Do NOT attend Colgate if you are an international student. HUGE lack of diversity and low presence of international folks. Community is not friendly/welcoming towards students of color. Racial issues exist and have upsetted many students big time. Majority is white, rich, preppy and party a lot. Very big party school and there is absolutely nothing to do unless you have a car or know someone who can drive you.
Colgate allows you to go to school with a lot of America's richest children. That connection to Corporate America is second to none.
Colgate has a great core curriculum program that encompasses a variety of courses and really gives you a good foundation for a liberal arts education. The distribution requirements seemed silly to me when I started, but I really appreciate the classes they have encouraged me to take. Overall, a good college in a pretty little town, emphasis on the little.
The academics are great, however I've found that if you don't drink, there isn't much of a social life. Nonetheless, the longer I'm here, the more I love it.
Colgate is the place for me! As a sciences major being able to study at Colgate enabled me to have a much greater breadth of learning, which has benefited tremendously both culturally and financially in my life.
Academics are challenging but professors are very available. Diversity is still a challenge at Colgate, but there is a Cultural Center for socializing and activism. Very small town, very safe, but sometimes little much to do off campus, unless you have access to a vehicle. Syracuse is a 45 minute drive. Party scene is great if you know upper classmen, especially as a first year male. Campus is a short walk to town; well organized and one can walk 10 minutes to any part of campus. Food and housing are average but dining hall is open 24 hours; great for athletes and late night studying.
Best college ever! I love everything about Colgate from the small class sizes to the food to the atmosphere to the people. Although, Colgate isn't every well known it shouldn't be looked over! Courses are challenging but very rewarding.
I am currently a first year here at Colgate and I can tell you that it is the best school that I could have possibly picked. I am extremely challenged in the classroom, averaging 6-7 hours in the library daily, but then at night I am able to be social which is so necessary in such an academic environment.
Colgate is even better than I had hoped it would be. Torchlight, DanceFest, and all sporting events like football, m/w ice hockey, soccer, basketball...what a great Colgate experience. The campus is exquisite.
I believe the college takes this issue seriously.
It is a small campus with many housing choices.There are dorms , townhouses apartments and Greek life housing to chose from. Most students live on campus .
There is a balance of Greek life , athletics and academics
Start Your Review of Colgate University
I am on the football team of a Division 1 AA program . Colgate has competative athletics in a close knit community. We have a great coaching staff and support academically .
Colgate University is a small liberal arts undergraduate college. It has a beautiful campus in upper state New York with roiling hills views of mountains and beautiful and unique brick buildings . Colgate has great acedemics and athletics with a diverse students from all walks of life.
Insane. Wouldn't trade it for any other school's party life. Besides the exclusivity of fraternity parties, there seems to always be someone getting down and having fun. Whether its meeting new people, bonding with friends, or just making amazing memories Colgate's party scene is a lot and a lot of fun.