Colgate University Reviews

I enjoyed attending Colgate very much. The Alumni network is probably the largest investment return for the school. The reputation as a party school is changing with recent protests motivating safer and more conscientious greek life. The town is very small and rural with almost no resources, however, this makes road trips to cities quite fun. Similarly, the small town, harsh winters, challenging academics, and small class sizes makes the Colgate community very close.
Being a school on the smaller side has its pros and its cons. It means there is a large sense of community, and after just one semester you'll keep bumping into people you know no matter where you go. There is a bit of a party scene, but truth is that you can get whatever you want from the school if you find the right group of people to hang out with, regardless of your tastes.
I like way of teaching academic learning skills, and the place of where I actually wanted - a rural area. Colgate University had been called the most beautiful campus in America, this such environment make me feels that I am fulfill with energy everyday. I with no doubt that choosing this college is definitely right, because its has everything you want, and serving variety great opportunities to everyone. I love the dormitory, the scene outside the window, nevertheless - everything.
Start Your Review of Colgate University
Going to Colgate was a fantastic experience. I still have many friends from there. Fortunately, I was able to receive a scholarship to attend. Otherwise it is quite pricey.
If you went to a wealthy, white, private high school, you’ll probably be very happy here. If you didn’t, there’s a pretty good chance you won’t be. DO NOT COME HERE if you want to be around people who are down-to-earth or have ever had to have a minimum wage job. The majority of students here are totally out of touch with reality. Greek life is extremely problematic. I like going to parties, but the classism is present all the time, everywhere. This might not even be the majority of the students at Colgate- it’s just the dominant culture. A girl in my class yesterday, verbatim: “well, part of the reason poor people have a lower graduation rate is because their family probably doesn’t value education or push them to succeed.” I’m not kidding. If I’d known what the dominant culture was, I wouldn’t have come here. Dorms are meh, there's no school spirit. Statistically low social mobility after graduation. The professors are fantastic.
Phenomenal school with something for everyone. Colgate has all of the intimate class sizes of a great liberal arts college with all of the vast resources of a major university - not only do you get a world class education, but there is literally no opportunity they won't throw money at you to do if you put your mind to it. Study abroad is also a stand-out due to a number of faculty-run semester programs, which give you the benefit of traveling with classmates and friends rather than strangers. Countless clubs and activities, which is where you'll meet most of your friends. The campus is gorgeous and still takes my breath away.
Country club/preppy, party school. Academics are quite good but the culture leaves much to be desired. If you are academic-minded and like diversity, there are more rigorous and prestigious schools with better atmospheres (and with bigger endowments, making your education much more affordable).

However, like everything in life, it's what you make of it. A degree from Colgate (in a marketable major, kids.... Times are changing--a history degree is just not the same as an economics or hard science degree anymore, unless from top tier schools) with good grades should open some doors, if you know how to network. And Colgate does have a good network, but students really need to learn how to take advantage of it. Otherwise, Colgate just doesn't have the cachet or household name status of the Ivy League.
Visited here for a potential college and I loved it! All the students were very friendly and the professors are very well qualified.
I have had a great time at Colgate so far. I have met some amazing people and I am getting a world-class education. I am pursuing a degree in computer science as well and I just finished the hardest course that I have ever taken in my college career, which was algorithms. I'm really starting to enjoy computer science, especially because it's so rewarding when you finish a really challenging problem. In terms of the overall campus, there is still much to be desired. As an African-American man, I notice that there is a lack of other African-American male students and professors and I would love for there to be more diversity on campus. However, there is an atmosphere of comradery amongst many people of color across campus and it is a blessing to know that when I feel alone, I will always have someone on campus that will listen to me.
Do NOT attend Colgate if you are an international student. HUGE lack of diversity and low presence of international folks. Community is not friendly/welcoming towards students of color. Racial issues exist and have upsetted many students big time. Majority is white, rich, preppy and party a lot. Very big party school and there is absolutely nothing to do unless you have a car or know someone who can drive you.
Colgate allows you to go to school with a lot of America's richest children. That connection to Corporate America is second to none.
Colgate has a great core curriculum program that encompasses a variety of courses and really gives you a good foundation for a liberal arts education. The distribution requirements seemed silly to me when I started, but I really appreciate the classes they have encouraged me to take. Overall, a good college in a pretty little town, emphasis on the little.
The academics are great, however I've found that if you don't drink, there isn't much of a social life. Nonetheless, the longer I'm here, the more I love it.
Colgate is the place for me! As a sciences major being able to study at Colgate enabled me to have a much greater breadth of learning, which has benefited tremendously both culturally and financially in my life.
Academics are challenging but professors are very available. Diversity is still a challenge at Colgate, but there is a Cultural Center for socializing and activism. Very small town, very safe, but sometimes little much to do off campus, unless you have access to a vehicle. Syracuse is a 45 minute drive. Party scene is great if you know upper classmen, especially as a first year male. Campus is a short walk to town; well organized and one can walk 10 minutes to any part of campus. Food and housing are average but dining hall is open 24 hours; great for athletes and late night studying.
Best college ever! I love everything about Colgate from the small class sizes to the food to the atmosphere to the people. Although, Colgate isn't every well known it shouldn't be looked over! Courses are challenging but very rewarding.
I am currently a first year here at Colgate and I can tell you that it is the best school that I could have possibly picked. I am extremely challenged in the classroom, averaging 6-7 hours in the library daily, but then at night I am able to be social which is so necessary in such an academic environment.
Start Your Review of Colgate University
Colgate is even better than I had hoped it would be. Torchlight, DanceFest, and all sporting events like football, m/w ice hockey, soccer, basketball...what a great Colgate experience. The campus is exquisite.
I believe the college takes this issue seriously.
It is a small campus with many housing choices.There are dorms , townhouses apartments and Greek life housing to chose from. Most students live on campus .