Colby College Reviews

I'm a parent of a rising sophomore who had an extremely positive first year at Colby. I've been really impressed by Colby's commitment to excellence in everything they do. The faculty and staff my son has interacted with so far have all been professional, supportive and highly accessible, more so than one would likely find at a larger university. The campus itself is stunning with Portland, the coast and ski slopes all just an hour away. The college is deep into a record-setting fundraising campaign that is allowing it to offer generous resources to its students including financial aid, paid experiences abroad and a best-in-class athletic center due to open in 2020. There's a dynamism at Colby that's palpable. It may or may not be the best fit for your son or daughter, but I can say without hesitation that it's been a great fit for mine.
If you are someone who values being engaged on campus and being challenged academically then Colby is the school for you. As a small liberal arts college it is easy for students to form close relationships with faculty and staff on campus. Professors are invested in each of their students and are more than willing to help them when they are struggling inside or outside of the classroom. Colby for the most part is an excellent experience. However, Colby like many other elite colleges is a predominantly white institution. If you are low income, a person of colour, or any other type of minority there will be times at Colby where it feels as if you do not belong on campus.
I love being at Colby, I am very happy and believe that Colby is a great place to be. I have enjoyed my time on the varsity sports team and that has been beneficial for the social scene. I think that if I was not an athlete the social scene would have been more challenging. The academics are difficult but not impossible and the connections made attending Colby are incredible. My father also attended Colby. I have also had a ton of conversations started just by the fact that I was wearing my Colby gear.
Start Your Review of Colby College
I am a first year at Colby College and this school really suits me. All the students are very involved in clubs and it easy to be apart of them. I love that the majority of college students are Colby are outdoorsy. The dinning hall staff are very accomodating and kind. The head chef always says hi. All of my classes are relativley small which I love. All of my professors I have had refer to me by my first name inside and outside of class. The only downfall of Colby is that it is far away from home.
Colby provides students with rigorous academics but also a vibrant student life that makes the campus scene fun and engaging.
Great, small liberal-arts college in Central Maine. The small size allows for everyone to know each other and connect better while surrounded by Maine's amazing Maine.
A top notch education. Prepares students to learn over a lifetime in a safe, beautiful and challenging environment.
When I reflect on my time at Colby, I am grateful for the small liberal arts experience; the feeling of community, small class sizes with professors who knew your name, and free printing. I am now pursuing post-graduate studies at a big University and the resources available to students, professor expertise, and quality of coursework is inferior to Colby in almost every way. Colby students are friendly, extremely intelligent, and well-rounded. Most of my friends volunteered, had an on-campus job or worked in a lab, and actively participated in campus clubs. The Colby bubble can become a little suffocating, as it is easy to not leave campus for weeks, but I am honestly sad I will never be in such a tight-knit community of similar-minded peers again. Colby is not perfect by all means, but it's a damn good school. If you choose to go to Colby, go in with an open mind, positive attitude, and readiness to introduce yourself to a million people.
At first, I thought Colby might be too far, or isolated, but Instead found the opposite. Many students are from the DC, Boston and NYC area and Waterville is right off i95. Catching a ride from classmates with cars driving to NYC is not too difficult. My classes are interesting and relevant. Davis Career Center is a great new resource for Internships and study abroad programs. Colby commitment comes from admin and students. Being outgoing, creative and positive pays off in opportunities. Colby College Museum of Art is largest in Maine and has been written about in NYTimes. Check it out.
Colby College has very strong academics and close ties between students and faculty. Good study abroad programs and funding. The biggest downside is the location, as Waterville has very little to offer in terms of life off campus and academic internships of job opportunities.
I am in love with the school. As a first year student I feel like the students, the staff, and everyone on the campus is just very nice and welcoming. They have so many great opportunities for every student, even freshman. I wouldn't think of a better school to go to.
I am so happy that I chose Colby to be my college. Like every school, Colby has its flaws (i.e., diversity issues, and imperfect dorms), the friendships I have made, the education I have received, and the life experiences I had were absolutely amazing because of Colby. Calling myself an alum makes me proud and the Colby community persists long after your 4 years.

What made Colby so great for me were its talented professors, who would form friendships with students and bend over backwards to help you learn. Also, at Colby, you can make it what you want: Colby has many wonderful opportunities for students (accessibly study abroad, unique on-campus jobs, surrounding wildlife, research, etc.). The amazing education added onto the many unique experiences make Colby unique.
I really enjoyed the social environment at Colby. It is a small school so you can really build strong relationships with groups of friends and I truly found a family in the ultimate frisbee team. With campus up on Mayflower hill you have privacy from the town which is very nice yet it is right next to town if you ever wanted to escape campus real easily.
Colby College is a great liberal arts college. The professors are great and the academics are pretty rigorous but one can definitely thrive if they seek for help. My problems with Colby stems from their lack of diversity and the ways that they've gone about increasing that diversity. There's lack of economic support for low-income students and although they manage to get students on this campus, there is very little that is done to ensure that they survive on this campus. We need equity.
Colby College has provided me with a lot of opportunities that I would not have been able to experience elsewhere. It has been an incredibly transformative experience for me from my experiences with professors to the tight knit community that so many people have worked to create.
Exceptional college with a great community. Though in the middle of nowhere, Maine is absolutely beautiful and there are tons of things to do.
I am currently a freshman at Colby. I am a member of the Women's Soccer team and am currently pursuing a Biology/Pre-Health major with the aspiration of going to medical school. Colby has provided me so many great resources, not just academically, but also in terms of networking, and helping me create my future beyond Colby. The student body is incredibly diverse and everyone is super friendly. Colby is also a really active school. The Outing Club is super popular, there is so much local outdoor recreation. There's a college ski pass to Sugarloaf, Loon, and Sunday River for the winter. I am also a Colby Cares About Kids Mentor which is a really cool volunteering program a Colby. Colby students are matched with a student (usually low-income) in the local Waterville area school district. There are so many ways to get involved inside and outside of Colby. It really is a school that is what you make of it.
Start Your Review of Colby College
Welcome to the land of the rich, white kids from Boston area private schools. If you don't fit in with that crowd, then you best look elsewhere.
Colby College offers a unique place to study closely with your professors. Professors are readily accessible and even go out of their way to spend time with you.

While Colby is not located near a major city, for those that attend there that is actually one of the major drawing points. Colby is surrounded by beautiful lakes, mountains - and with a short drive - one can make it to the ocean as well. Ever been to Acadia National Park...? Colby is the perfect place for an outdoor enthusiast.

Important to note as well: Colby's name resonates well with employers, especially on the East Coast.
Colby College is simply amazing. Work hard play hard. Everyone wants do as good as possible in school, but nobody is competing. School is chilled and people are amazing. Student body is pretty diverse, even though it can be grater.