1. Dubuque, IA
  2. 4 Year

Clarke University Reviews

I would NEVER tell anyone to attend this college.
The tuition inflates, professors don't think of students & do not deliver material in a beneficial manner, & Clarke preaches small class sizes but many of the classes in the medical field add up to more than 80. They tell you that your class sizes will not exceed 12, but in my last semester at Clarke I was in Anatomy and Physiology every MWF with 85+ students. The professor didn't know names, you were a number, & you didn't get the 1 on 1 attention you needed during an intense class.
When choosing Clarke I was under the impression that students had a large impact on campus, but once there I was mistaken.
The nursing department is ranked highly, but I do not see it being ANYTHING that the professors do. It is nearly impossible to get any nursing professor to help you understand material, prepare for an exam, or do well in their class.
Clarke was overall a waste of time & money.
I really loved the location of the college. it is located in Dubuque near the bluffs and a river, and is also about 5 minutes away from downtown. The campus itself is very old, but is newly renovated which gives it that antique feel. It used to be an all women college, but has recently been opened up to men. The architecture of the buildings is spectacular, and even more impressive, the school has underground tunnels! I'm going for nursing, and the program guarantees you're out in four years with a degree which is extremely satisfying. There are also a lot of hospitals near the campus which makes it super easy to complete my clinicals. The only problem I have with the overall atmosphere is that it is still a blossoming campus, so it is quite small. I'm from a small town so I'm familiar with the small-town feel, but it would be nice to be apart of a campus with more students at some point in the future.
So far, everything here has been great. I was involved in a sexual assault in the beginning of the year and the school did a great job in handling the situation and making sure that I stayed safe after everything happened. Academics are awesome, the professors are always easy to get to when needed and they make their schedules available at all times. The campus is beautiful and well kept, rooms are gorgeous. All faculty and staff are easy to speak to and everyone goes by first name.
So far, the Clarke experience hasn't been all that bad. The professors all know their fields very well, at least the ones that I've had, and do a decent job teaching the content. There have been a few miscommunication issues, but overall it's been good. Student Life provides many different activities throughout the year to take part in that are usually pretty fun. Resident Life also has many events off campus to attend that are fun as well. The food is also really good.
The career center on campus is very helpful! I worked there in years past as a works study and experiences all the times they helped students fine internships, jobs, or even study abroad opportunities.
  • College Junior
  • 6 months ago
  • Value
There is a good variety of classes and most of the professors are fair. Some really don't teach and just read off slides, but the majority of them are good.
The security is always around and always willing to help anyone who needs the help. You constantly pass them in the halls walking to class or anywhere on campus. They are also very friendly when they are helping you.
The on campus apartments are great! You get to live close to some of your closest friends, but still have the opportunity to get some alone time in your own room.
We do not have Greek life at our school so I cannot answer this question.
Both the baseball and softball fields are off campus and the athletes do not get any help gas money wise, but softball is not that far away. The soccer field is right on campus, but completely tore up and not a very good field. The gym inside is very nice and probably the best court/field we have for any sport.
For the most part, the professors are very open to helping their students and making sure they succeed. Some professors are just harder than others to understand and get on their good side.
Clarke University makes it a priority to create a safe community for students. Many precautions are taken in order to prevent any unfortunate incidents. We have security 24/7 with access to Resident Assistants on call 24/7 as well. Both are very easily reachable. In addition security makes their rounds pretty often around campus checking on everything. I feel very safe while I'm at Clarke. I've never run into any problems or dangers while attending Clarke University.
Living on campus is easy and great, especially for freshman year! On top of having to get use to a whole new school moving out of your home can be a scary but exciting step in ones life. My experience with the dorms has been great for the most part. Sometimes it gets a bit too hot for comfort but cracking a window and getting a fan or two usually does the trick! I lived in Mary Ben which is the girls dorm and everyone was very friendly and welcoming. Move in day is a breeze with all the help you get. Clarke staff and students are ready when you arrive to help you get all unpacked and settled in! I would really recommend dorm life.
  • 6 months ago
  • Housing
Athletes make up a good portion of the student body here at Clarke University. We are all very supportive of one another and try to attend each others games as often as we can. I feel that in the next few years with football becoming a new addition to Clarke University we will be seeing some exciting changes in the facilities Clarke has to offer. We have facilities both on campus and of that our sports teams utilize. Overall, being an athlete at Clarke University, you have support from all over including fellow students, local residence and the faculty of Clarke! Its great to be able to represent Clarke, coming from a Clarke athlete themselves! GO CRUSADERS!
To some people Clarke University may seem too small and not as lively as some big Universities but I agree to disagree. I've seen many friends leave because this school was not as big of an all around party as they dreamt college would be. However, the ones that stay leave here gaining a whole lot more than one wild story to tell. Students from Clarke University leave here with a million unforgettable stories to tell their children. Clarke teaches students about culture, diversity, service, leadership and many more essential life long attributions to a fulfilling and successful life. Clarke University offers dedicated professors and counselors to help students find their own path in life. Even if there were such a thing as "do-over's" or "take-back's" I would still chose to attend Clarke University because I know I am on the right path to a prosperous life.
Theres's a policy enforcement but no student really follows it. I know that there are students who are underage drinking because I can hear them when I am inside my dorm room. That of know of, there is no peer pressure if you don't drink or do drugs. The school is very helpful and vibrant so no student feels pressured to do something. The policy of underage drinking needs to be enforced, especially at night because sometimes students go out to drink on weekdays and do not let me sleep. I feel that underage drinking is more common because they are not a lot of things to do in Dubuque for 18-20 years old.
I feel really safe on campus. They are guards in their office and at night they do checks to see if everything is alright. If you need help or forgot your keys you can just call them and they will pick you up. I feel really safe in this school, sometimes at night it can pretty dangerous to cross the street though, from the SAC. There has not been any crime that was a huge deal. At one time, at non-Clarke person did come in the school and was going inside students' room but that was controlled, and have not heard of any more accidents occurring. That was the only time, where I did not feel safe knowing some stranger was walking around school other than that I feel really safe. Guys and girls have different chips to access the dorms, so at night guys are not allowed to enter the girls' dorm.
I really enjoy all my professors. They can really make you feel important. The largest class size I have is about 20-30 students which is not bad. The smallest class I had was 6 students! You can always email your professors and they will surely reply in a timely manner, they are always there to help. When I don't understand something the professors go over it one more time and this is great. The courses are very good. Some of the courses that we are required to take I think that it is a waste. I think that the school should focus more on your major other than that the courses are great. You have a wide range of selection when selecting your courses.
I can't really comment on this because I have not used all of these resources. The school does have a "compass" office where you can go talk to them about internships, study abroad, career questions, majors, etc. The employers here on campus are great at recruiting people to study at Clarke.
  • 7 months ago
  • Value
The dorms are very clean and well kept, there are some things for example the walls that need updating, I also feel that they need to be removed just a bit. The best thing of the dorms is that they are very close to classes you can't easily get out five minutes before classes start and you will make it! I love how close they are to your class! The good thing about living on campus is that you never have to walk outside to get to each of your classes, which is really convenient (especially in winter).
  • 7 months ago