Christopher Newport University Reviews

1,114 reviews
I loved my time at CNU and felt like I got a great education here. The professors are wonderful, dorms are great, buildings are immaculate. I wouldn't trade my experience at CNU for anything.
Words cannot begin to describe how much pride I have every time I say I am a Christopher Newport Captain. CNU was my first pick university and each and everyday I take a moment to reflect on how thankful I am to be at such a well-respected university where the facility, staff, and students take pride in their work and challenge themselves everyday to be the best they can be. I take the values CNU expresses, service, character, and integrity, to heart
Christopher Newport is a small school that the students either love or dislike, there's not much of an in between. I am one of the students who loves it. I live an ocean away from home so the small campus and community environment is exactly what I needed. The teachers and administration is involved, the facilities are top tier, students are great, and the campus itself is gorgeous. Some people don't love cnu because there aren't tons of people, so if you didn't meet the perfect group of friends like I did, you may have to work a little harder on your social life. Frats throw parties every weekend and tailgate season is a blast. If you are tired of the frat scene I found older friends with houses who have kickbacks that are just as if not more fun.
Start Your Review of Christopher Newport University
I have loved my time at CNU. I like the small class sizes and personable professors. The small campus size is perfect for not having to walk miles to class like some larger universities. Overall, it is a very good college.
Christopher Newport University is one of the best small, public school experiences a student can hope for. The campus is alive with Greek life, academics, and community interest groups. Everyone is very polite and holds doors for strangers in a traditional, kind southern fashion. Overall, a wonderful school full of wonderful people.
The environment is great on campus and many facilities are available for the children to use. Some of the dorms are kind of grimy, but it's bearable. Some very extreme opinions are present at this school, but you just have to find your group. The president is a great man and very easy to talk to. Overall, a great experience.
What I liked about Christopher Newport University was when I first arrived on campus I felt like I belonged. The one thing that I would change about Christopher Newport would be, honesty I don’t know.
Christopher Newport is honestly a fantastic university if you are going there to focus on sports and academics. The facilities, as well as the faculty, are unmatched compared to others nearby schools. However, the downfalls of the school include its diversity. The majority of all minorities going to that school are going there as a student-athlete, and the party scene could be more desirable, but due to the schools moderate size it limits how much of a party school it can be.
Great campus, good food, caring professors and overall great school. Near the beach, dorms are spacious and nice, and campus is small and a very tight-nit community.
I studied at Christopher Newport University for one semester and hated it. The classes were super easy and not challenging whatsoever. Also, the school was not very diverse at all; in fact most of the students there were very racist. The food was never fully cooked at the dining halls which resulted in food poisoning and I had to resort to eating off campus. I will admit, the campus is nice and the facilities (gym and student union building) were very cool and where I spent most of my time. I could not stay there and came home almost every weekend (Dry campus so all parties were far away). They offered club sports but the people there were very cliquey and said that I could not join. I would sum the school up as a place where everyone you hated in high school ended up. Also, the area around this school is very boring aside from the beach. There is not much to do and it is very unsafe at night.
CNU puts on a beautiful front. But then you discover they are overcrowded, constantly under construction, tuition constantly rising, full of entitled students that are as fake as the administration. Everyone fears graduating late because classes are capped at ridiculous sizes so they can brag about the small class sizes. The school only does things to benefit their bank account, they don't care about the students.
Think long and hard about sending your kids here. Yes great school as far as physical grounds, good academics, diversity, food etc. Be warned however, the campus police are predatory. My freshman was arrested walking to his dorm and charged with drunk in public and minor in possession of alcohol with no alcohol on his person and a breathalyzer reading of .06. No angel, he clearly had been drinking off campus underage. But a .06 is ridiculous to physically arrest a college student. The CNU police literally stalk students at night on campus to stop them for "suspicious behavior." Spent the night in the city jail, 6 month probation, suspended driver's license (although no car involved), and a honor violation. All for walking to his dorm with a .06 blood alcohol content. Not the college experience anyone deserves. If your kid will not party at all, then this school may be worthy of your consideration. Otherwise, take your $26,000 to the next VA state liberal arts school.
CNU is a great school. I absolutely love how small it is because I learn a lot better and I am able to form relationships with my professors.
I have had the best experience during my first year at Christopher Newport. The professors genuinely care for your well-being and work to built relationships with you in and out of the classroom. Professors are more than willing to help you outside of class time. It is a very diverse campus where people of all ethnicities and political backgrounds coexist happily. Additionally, the housing at Christopher Newport is superb. Though you are required to live on campus for three years, you never share a bathroom with more than four other people. Furthermore, by your third year, you are provided a room and bathroom to yourself.
The professors here will really push you to your academic limits. Academics are very intense here. CNU has a great campus, dorms, and academic facilities. There are tons of clubs and organizations to join. Over half the student body is in Greek Life, so it's a big deal here. Academic diversity is lacking, as well as student diversity. Many students are from the same area in Virginia. The party scene sucks, unless you are in greek life. Safety is really good; I've never felt unsafe on campus.
Tuition is kind of high, but it's a great school. Professors are helpful in every way, the other students are so kind. The campus itself is beautiful, and there's always something to do on campus.
My first year at CNU was amazing! The outside scenery is beautiful. The grass, flowers, buildings, equipment, etc is very well up kept. The University President is extremely friendly and proactive within the community, which gives a very welcoming feeling. The dorms are very nice compared to other colleges surrounding the peninsula. The student to teacher ratio really helps students become comfortable with asking questions in a formal setting and learn more hands on.
Start Your Review of Christopher Newport University
The campus is absolutely stunning, the classes truly are small and it is easy to have personal relationships with professors and faculty members. Almost every faculty member is passionate about their job and will do anything to invest in their students either academically or by supporting their other endeavors. Campus is very safe and there are a multitude of opportunities for extracurricular involvement and community service. The residence halls are relatively new and dorms are much larger and nicer than what other public universities offer. Only downside is that available scholarships are small compared to other universities and it is rather expensive for a public school, and most scholarships only apply if the student lives on-campus.
CNU is a beautiful and friendly campus. I absolutely have loved my time spent here! It is a small school which allows you to make friends quickly as well as get to know your professors personally so that you are known by name, not a number.
CNU is incredibly diverse and all around welcoming to any and everyone. There are multiple ways to get involved and everyone makes you feel at home on campus, from staff to students.