1,062 reviews
  1. Newport News, VA
  2. 4 Year

Christopher Newport University Reviews

1,062 reviews
I visited the campus and it was pretty alright I suppose. It was mainly just a courtyard with most of the academic buildings surrounding it. The surrounding area is rather run down and lackluster. Also Newport News isn't the safest place in Virginia.
My experience so far at Christopher Newport University has been wonderful. I have made friends with common interests thanks to the university's use of learning communities. I have been able to get involved on campus in my first year here and I look forward to continuing my education and involvements in the coming years.
I fell in love with CNU as soon as I first visited. To begin, the campus is absolutely gorgeous and I have many fond memories of sunbathing on the Great Lawn people watching and shouting to my friends to join me. The sense of community that surrounds the school is palpable. It's small enough that you can have a close group of friends you'll keep in contact regularly, but big enough that you can meet new people everyday and add to your social circle. There are well over 200 campus organizations/clubs and about twenty Greek life organizations to choose from. In general everybody is friendly to one another and will even go out of their way to open a door for you. While it isn't the largest party school, you'll get more satisfaction out of the smaller gatherings where you can truly get to know your fellow peers on a deeper level. Highly recommended!
I love the campus and the overall atmosphere here at CNU. The people really make you feel like you're at home.
I am a freshman at Christopher Newport University, I love and hate this school. The academics at this school are great and the campus is beautiful, but this school isn't diverse at all. Being a minority at this school is sometimes hard because you get the racist comments that nobody thinks are racist. The professors and workers are very nice and understanding, but some of the students are rude.
Christopher Newport University has been the best experience of my life so far. The dedicated attention to student care is remarkable and the atmosphere of the campus is incomparable. Faculty and staff ensure every student is given the right amount of guidance during their academic career. Not only do they assist with career opportunities, but academic tutoring is abundantly available. The amount of care found here at CNU is incomparable to any other university, because of its size. Smaller classrooms allow one on one time with professors which pays off in the long run. Additionally, the overall atmosphere of the campus is welcoming. Bright and early every morning, the hardworking maintenance crew tend to the campus to ensure its beauty is kept in pristine condition. Having a well-kept campus, motivated me to do better in my academic studies. My experience here at Christopher Newport University was life changing, and I cannot wait to see what else is in store for me in the future.
The academics are great and the school is beautiful! There is a lack of things to do off campus due to the location but that's not a big deal. The food that they have is good, but there aren't many options for people with dietary restrictions.
I absolutely love my school! I have only been here a semester and it already feels like home. There is such a strong community feeling, everyone is so warm and welcome. It is such an amazing campus that is continuously growing, but still retaining it's small campus feel. The buildings take my breath away and I love everything about it. It is like a miniature version of UVA. The professors are great, loving, and fair. It is a step up from high school, but it is a step down from a big university. If that is the type of school you are looking for, come here to CNU and become a Captain.
Everyone at CNU is passionate about what they do. They seek to do something meaningful, and not only do they believe in that specific something, but they love it. As a student there, you will be challenged not only in academics and/or athletics, but also in character.
Christopher Newport University is a very young and vibrant university. It boosts a strong basis in the liberal arts while still providing top rate science, math, and professional tracks. The university offers an interesting opportunity to study leadership studies as a minor add pay off the President's Leadership Program (PLP). One of CNU's strongest assets is the fact that it is a young university. Unlike other universities, CNU is in a constant push to better itself. The university's campus is beautiful, its students are friendly, and its professors are diligent. CNU is the perfect size to not know everyone on campus, but to be able to see friends on the way to class, or around campus.
CNU is the perfect size of 5,000. The campus is gorgeous and polished with red bricks and white columns. The library and one of the dining halls are being renovated both done by 2018. The dorms have mini fridges and microwaves. Great array of programs, fun sporting events, and a connected community of kind people.
100% would recommend anyone to CNU. Great community and quality education. One minor issue is the amount of tripled rooms (freshmen only). Nearly half of Santoro is tripled so keep that in mind! Other than that it's perfect!
Touring Christopher Newport University was lovely. The campus is full of life and students can be seen studying vigorously outside in the square or hanging out with friends in the student union. The college offers and leadership program, with a scholarship and study abroad stipend, which is a great opportunity for all students, especially those who want to get involved in their community. The food is great, the dorms are large and cozy, and the overall feel of the campus resembles one of my hometown.
I transfered from CNU for multiple reasons; the students, the environment, the location and the lack of ambition. The students seemed to focus more on their social life, rather than their academic standing. If you're looking for a small school that has a "party school" atmosphere this would be a great place for you. The school is also comprised of mostly Virginians. If you are from out of state like I was, you may feel a like an outsider. Although I personally did not have a good experience, I will say I had some of the most inspiring professors at CNU. Most of them seemed to really care for their students.
Overall, great school! Small classes allow for the professors to get to know their students and ensure quality learning. School also allows for opportunity to perform undergraduate research.
I dont live on campus, but I have heard that the students love living there.
  • College Sophomore
  • 6 months ago
  • Housing
They play a big role on campus life. They are also very bright.
The students are very supportive of their fellow captains.
The professors actually care about their students and their academic success. They are always available for additional help in their offices and are more than happy to help.
CNU is a great school. Everything is beautiful and people are nice