1. Shreveport, LA
  2. 4 Year

Centenary College of Louisiana Reviews

Love having small class sizes and being able to get to know all of my professors. They are difficult, but every professor wants the best for their students. If you aren't coming to class they'll contact you and ask why and if you're struggling they are more than willing to give you the help you need.
I honestly don't know much about it. I'm not even sure how active our alumni group is to be quite honest.
  • College Junior
  • 8 months ago
  • Value
We have DPS which is a 24/7 on campus police department that monitors parties and will give rides home to people so they don't have to walk alone. They also will help with whatever you need if you call them.
It honestly just depends where you love on campus. My first two years I lived at Cline, which was not very clean and had a lot of heating and air conditioning problems. However, centenary overall has some of the biggest dorm rooms I have ever seen not to mention the awesome amenity of free laundry. I'm living in rotary this upcoming year which is on campus apartments and they are very nice. Price is good compared to other colleges in my opinion.
The Greeks at centenary definitely run the campus, but in a very positive manner. My sorority has various charity events that all of the student body can attend and it's always so much fun! Greek students are typically viewed as nice people who do a lot for the community. There is no Greek housing available at centenary, but we do have houses where we can hold rush events and meetings.
As a golfer at Centenary I think athletics are all around pretty good, the only struggle we have is funding some better opportunities because our school is so small. Our school spirit is great especially at basketball and gymnastic events. Athletic facilities are pretty good, but our gymnastic and golf team has to practice off campus which is really inconvenient.
I would choose Centenary over and over again because of the small class sizes and how much I am able to be involved. I play golf, am a student ambassador, and have an executive position in my sorority Zeta Tau Alpha. Not only am I able to be super involved, but I am also able to have the capability to do well academically. My school is also unique because I am able to get to know my teachers very well which will lead to great recommendations and further connections down the road.
My school isn't the worst, but it also isn't the best. The living conditions could be improved as well as the food. The academics are a plus because the professors are willing to give you more of a personal approach to make sure you're grasping the concept. At the end of the day my major is what I'm there for and it happens to be a rather nice program so I can be content with that. Now there is a "more in 4" program, which is very much appreciated by all students allowing us to not overwork ourselves to stay on track. Our small campus can be a positive thing and a 'meh' thing. It allows you to get familiar with just about everyone on campus and like with the classrooms, there aren't massive class sizes, ranging from 3-25. I say 3 because I was in that class. If I could go back and change things I probably wouldn't choose my current school again, mainly because it was a rushed decision and I'd weigh my options a bit more.
The number for DPS seems to be everywhere and it's great for if you don't have the number in your phone already.
As a music major, most of my classes have to do with music and the music professors are really great!
It somewhat depends on what dorm you're living in. I live in the least expensive dorm at the moment and sometimes during the night time hours the freshmen will get roudy and run around screaming and you can hear it and it's annoying. I don't quite know what it's like in the other dorms, but it could be about the same.
  • College Sophomore
  • 12 months ago
  • Housing
Although I am not involved in many things on campus, everyone is very friendly and I really enjoy being here!
I have learned more from this school than anywhere else. It's teaching me about my field and also how to be an adult. Very challenging but able to do. Nothing feels better than getting a great grade from hours of studying.
Foreign students and students of all kind attend here. No one judges it's very laid back and accepting.
Dps monitors campus all night and gives rides to people walking alone. Very safe.
Everyone is going to grad school at Ivy League schools and if not, have the option to. Also everyone has acces to internships due to small community.
  • College Freshman
  • Jan 23 2016
  • Value
They are Challenging and the professors push you to be the best you can be. Questions are always open and no answer is wrong. No one cheats due to the honor code which I find very good. It helps students be independent.
Some dorms may be smaller than the other but housing works with everyone for the best fit and the most comfortable stay. I truly enjoy my location and don't have to walk far for any classes or food.
Currently in a sorority here and it's a wonderful experience
I'm a current athlete and have access to all everything I need during season