Catholic University of America Reviews

I love the campus and the faculty! I felt welcomed and at home while I was there. The campus is beautiful,and school spirit is everywhere!
Catholic University of America is an amazing university that really helps all the students in any way academically. This is really great because most of the classes are challenging, at least they were for me but with all the resources available to me I was able to excel. However, what I would like to see is greater diversity, especially in the classes. In all the six classes I took there was only one other Hispanic in one of my classes and at first that was a bit different for me and a little hard to really connect with some of my other classmates but most of the people are really nice and open, which was amazing.
As I go into my freshman year at The Catholic University of America, I could not be more excited. During my college search Catholic checked off so many of my boxes! Every time I step onto the campus I feel a sense of home, and can not wait to make this campus my second home for the next four years!
Start Your Review of Catholic University of America
Professors in the Philosophy Dept. are not very friendly, supportive, or approachable, but there are a few exceptions. The department is quite large. The professors teach only one graduate course per school year, so it is difficult to get to know them. The grad students are young (22-25) and come from colleges like TAC and Christendom. I'm not a fan of those kinds of schools, but if you are, you might like the other students more than I do. The stipend (18k) is nowhere near the cost of living in DC, so you'll need to work or take out loans. The program's focus is on the study of classic philosophical texts, which is good in that you'll study real philosophers like Plato & Aristotle, but bad in that there is often a heavy emphasis on exegesis, which is more appropriate for a classics department than a philosophy department. There are lots of requirements in this program and the administration makes it difficult to accomplish them in a timely manner. Expect to spend 9-10 years here.
School has a great community and is located in a great location in a great city. People are friendly and it's easy to make friends and get involved in school programs.
Catholic University is pretty fire. Party life is good. Sports aren't horrible (Roll Birds). Thirsty Thursdays are key. Academics ae pretty good as well. This is a great mix of a serious academic school with a great night and weekend life. The professors are extremely understanding and try there best to actually teach.
I have really enjoyed my time at CUA. I love how everyone is friendly and helpful. This atmosphere makes It easy to learn and feel included.
I am a current senior at CUA and love it here. I have some amazing professors (many of whom also teach at Georgetown and GW), and have had many great opportunities for personal development and growth. The campus is beautiful, in a great location (in the city, but also slightly removed), and it's only a few stops from the National Mall on the metro, which is conveniently located on campus. I'm not very religious, however, the religious title and ideals are not heavily integrated on campus, and are only noticeable if you are looking to participate. Also, I want to note that in comparison to the dorms I've seen at GW, AU, and Georgetown, Catholic definitely has the best dorm rooms.
Catholic university is a beautiful school! Academics are wonderful. As a freshman I found my professors very enthusiastic and passionate about what they teach. The community at CUA is very welcoming and warm.
The campus is beautiful and there is a lot to do off campus. There is a metro stop right on campus which can take you right into the heart of DC. The dorm options are nice and it is a very lively campus.
The food is a major issue. The student restaurant is dirty, the food is disgusting, they give tiny portions, and there is not even close to enough seating for the number of students on campus. Don't even bother trying to get in here at lunch time. My major problem with dining services at CUA is actually not the food though, it is the incredibly rude and unhelpful staff. God forbid you ask for something on the side or what ingredients are in something, you would think you are asking them for $50 out of their own pocket. We don't have a basic grocery store within walking distance, but we do have the gentrified Monroe Street Market if you want some macrame bracelets and a CVS where razors need to be locked in a case because they've been stolen so many times.
I am a politics major, & I have learned practically nothing here. The pol. core curriculum is not standardized, & therefore doesn't give a solid base for future coursework. It seems the school is focused more on World Politics concentrations than American Government and Political Theory, & it shows in the professors that are asked to them. Many times a grad student has taught a course for my major, which is not okay considering the school isn't cheap and it's not like there are more than 12-15 politics courses offered in a given semester. You need an internship to learn at all. CUA is pretty unhelpful with this unless you want an internship on the Hill or with a political consulting firm, which everyone and their brother has. The one thing I will say is that it's easy to get an A, b/c no one in the major cares about their grades at all. Just put in a little effort and you'll look like a genius. I feel like I'm sitting in a class full of zombies most of the time.
When I tell you to run from this school, I mean it. The students here are extremely clique and they all stay in their little sports team bubbles. I am an average student, with a big social life in high school and here I am a standout. They do not give as big a financial aid package as most other schools, but they definitely have the money laying around. The professors are actually pretty decent but it seems that no matter how hard you work in a class, they just wont give you an A. If I could give the "Safety" Factor a 0 I would-within the first week of school there were two reports of armed robbery and one sexual assault right on the edge of campus. They try to make you feel safe by having police and security everywhere but they are usually just found sitting in their big trucks eating donuts. The food is miserable! They advertise it as being very healthy but in fact is just a lot of grease. RuN!!
I'm most impressed with their consideration of a given students needs and challenges and the type of accommodations they provide. Their workload is generally made to be reasonable and they posses many perks including holidays, food, parties and etc.
Such a great community in an amazing location! Such an underrated school. The resources and connections that are at CUA is very impressive for a school that is on the small side of medium. Great choice to come here!
My school is great. I love it, but sometimes I feel like you can't be involved as much as you might want to if you are a commuter. Thus, I would like to see the school find a way to remedy this situation and to provide more financial aid to the students. Also, a food bank is in great need.
I love the location of Catholic. There is no better place to go to school because you get a suburban feel right in the middle of DC. There is plenty of wide open space and you're just a short metro ride from the more urban, downtown area of DC. The only thing I would like to see change is the food service. It is not great and improvements are necessary. Also, a greater presence of Greek Life and school spirit for football would both be nice.
Start Your Review of Catholic University of America
I love it! Campus food is going to be improved by 2020 when the new dining hall opens. My favorite thing about Catholic is all of the community service opportunities. Everyday there is a way to get involved with the community and help people. The education pushes you to have to work hard. It’s a very traditional education which was hard for me at first but I like the challenge. Also there are so many internship opportunities available in the city. Every night of the week there are networking events. It’s just an overall great school with serious students.
CUA is home to about 5,000 undergrad. The campus is small, but always kept in tip top shape. The students come from all over, mainly states from the east coast. The environment is warm, friendly, and safe. CUA is more of a bar school, however certain sport houses throw some good parties once in a while. CUA's cafeteria is one of the worst in the country, you may starve if you come here because the choices in the upstairs food court are horrendous. However, administration has become aware of this in recents years and is attempting to fix this problem. CUA is currently building a new & improved food court. CUA is a great institution, the small class sizes are great for learning and the university is well recognized throughout the country.
I am currently in my last year at Catholic University of America, and I am very happy I chose this school to pursue my MSW at. The curriculum is easy to understand. The online learning option is perfect for me as I do not live near the campus. I really enjoy being able to carry on with the rest of my life while still being able to participate in class work, and an education through this wonderful school! I would recommend Catholic University of America to anyone and everyone interested in pursuing graduate studies for social work. Great Place to attend!