Carnegie Mellon University Reviews

1,335 reviews
What I like: Environment that pushes the students to work harder and study harder.
What I do not like: 1. An excessive workload that does not really help. 2. Food 3. An excessive tuition 4. Lack of quality school events.
From my first year of Carnegie Mellon, I liked how I met a wide variety of people that were passionate about their career and interests.
My experience at CMU is so rewarding because I am surrounded by some of the greatest minds of the world, without exaggeration. As I sit in class I'm sitting among kids who code apps in their free time, run their own businesses, or build robots for fun. You cannot find this kind of enthusiasm anywhere else for academics!
Start Your Review of Carnegie Mellon University
Carnegie Mellon is a champion in the academics and no doubt anyone who comes here will be challenged to their limit. The one thing I would like to see changed is that the school should spend less on academics and related resources and more on student life like more fitness facilities, better eateries, and more recreational spaces.
The theater world that CMU offers is like no other, if you're lucky enough to see into this world you'll learn so much. Unfortunately, CMU is very compartmentalized and it is hard to crossover disciplines.
Carnegie Mellon University is a very challenging school with a high stress culture surrounding it. The school in general is very good at academics from a global standpoint which generally provides a good return on the investment. The school is very small and tight knit so there is a strong sense of community and culture that is present daily throughout campus. Student life in some aspects is great but in some is lacking; such as below average dorms and campus foods. You should be prepared to work hard in a stressful environment in whatever field you decide on if you plan on attending this school.
In general, Carnegie Mellon is an excellent, top-ranked school, with a good return on investment. However, some aspects of student life make the college experience at Carnegie Mellon a lower quality than the overall academic experience.
It's a great school that will push one to his/her limits but also provide a rewarding and fun college life.
It is a great school overall, and its suburban location just minutes away from downtown proves useful often. For anybody pursuing any form of sciences or mathematics, I can't recommend a better school. This school is focused on preparing its students for whatever problem they may face in the future. Very diverse culture as well.
What I like about Carnegie Mellon is the general atmosphere of the school as a whole. Having a campus separate from the surrounding city allows the community within CMU to flourish, and I feel like that was a major factor in why I enjoyed my time here. The coursework is difficult to an extent, especially with certain classes, but the payoffs of what you are able to gain and learn from these classes really outweighs the drawbacks. With so many various groups on campus, there's always somewhere for people to fit in.
As a volunteer working to help translate an application software used by the university, I have had a rather good experience. The campus is beautiful and located just at the intersection of the hubs in Pittsburgh. In addition, the academics are top-notch and help students get into many prestigious companies that include large technology firms such as Facebook and Amazon.
Carnegie Mellon University is a great place to foster your interests and passions. While it is strong in computer science, engineering, and other related technical fields, it is still a great place for other majors such as business and the arts. Professors seem to be quite caring, lots of workload but definitely manageable if time is managed correctly.
The Carnegie Mellon School of Drama has a remarkable program that encourages collaboration between various theatrical positions. It prepares you for the performing arts industry as it ensures opportunities for musical theatre majors and designers alike to gain real life experience.
Very challenging and oriented towards skills you will use on the job. Very high tech and analytical. Awesome school.
I really liked the people and culture and the fact that most classes are very well supported. Professors are usually very helpful and help students professionally and academically.
Carnegie Mellon was the best decision I made -- the community is collaborative, warm, and supportive. Your professors are invested in you for life.
Great school if you are interested in Research, Science and Engineering. Also, an up and coming undergraduate Business School. Graduates across the board conisistently leave with great, high-paying jobs.
Start Your Review of Carnegie Mellon University
Carnegie Mellon is a very academically challenging school, I have struggled a bit but maintained a good GPA through sophomore year. I love the campus and the surrounding local community. This is NOT a party school but has Pitt close enough to enjoy some party life and I am a SigEp member and currently live in the frat house. Most of the professors are great and I look forward to the next two years here.
While I'm definitely not the brightest students at CMU, I have met some of the most amazing and talented people here from my classes and clubs. The workload does get heavy at times, but once you learn to develop a good work habit, it's not as bad. CMU also offers a lot of extracurricular activities for you to explore.
The academics are intensive, but with the amount of student organizations, its hard not to find a balance between social and academic life.