Carleton College Reviews

Absolutely love this school. Professors are great, the community is welcoming. I play a varsity sport here too and it's been a wonderful experience. It's definitely challenging, but so worth it in the end.
At Carleton College the professors, staff, custodians, and alumni all want to see you succeed. Before my Calculus 2 final I said hi to a custodian who I had never talked to before and at that particular point I was feeling low and a bit discouraged. After talking to her for a little bit and a hug I was ready for my exam. Carleton is not an easy college but there is a village supporting each person here. Carls help Carls.
Carleton is a quaint little school in rural Minnesota, which for some is appealing and others not so much. I unfortunately fell into the latter group. Don't get me wrong: Carleton, from my experience as a visiting admitted student, possesses fantastic professors, student resources, and passionate students. However, there's not much to do outside of Carleton and in the surrounding areas of Northfield (a town of about 20,000 around 45 miles from Minneapolis). The area is more of a vacation town for those looking for some peace and quiet, not so much for those looking to be close to economically and culturally vibrant cities. As someone from the Seattle suburbs, a large, beautiful city and the mountains were never far. This ended up being the deciding factor for declining admission: I couldn't live so far from urban life and the majesty of mountains I know so well.
Review Carleton College
Carleton's community and academics are amazing. Inclusive community and dedicated, skilled professors.
Carleton has an incredible community of passionate individuals. The environment is quite intense, but I'm grateful to have experienced it. I've been forced to learn how to ask for support and take care of myself. And I've found many people--students and professors--who care about my well being and inspire me to grow.
The school has an incredibly open community; cliques are fluid and almost anyone is welcome and can feel comfortable sitting with any group. Dining hall food is great, although there are few good restaurants in the area. Classes are fantastic and the trimester system works very well for people who live far away (winter break extends from before thanksgiving to after new years). In addition, the trimester system allows students to fit three academic terms into one year while focusing more intensely on less during those terms, all the while still leaving room for a long winter break.
The biggest downside for me is that students seem less individual and more self-effacing than some other similar liberal arts colleges.
Absolutely adore this school in every way possible... incredible academics, a once in a lifetime opportunity of learning in its purest form.
Coming from a very violent background, Carleton is just amazing: I do not have to worry anytime about people coming in and out of rooms and buildings, and anyone can walk 247 alone without being in danger.
Residential life is one of the best parts of Carleton. Students, staff and security do a great job keeping this place tidy, comfortable and fun every single day. I just love it so much.
People do not care about varsity sports, but many people do participate in intramural sports.
The class selection is so amazing that it is almost overwhelming. All of the classes are so interesting and quirky -- this term I am taking a course called the Anthropology of Humor which has been absolutely fascinating. The professors all knew my name by the end of the first week and made an effort to connect with each of us. It is hard to come by professors as passionate and caring as the professors at Carleton.
The Career Center reaches out to each student and has incredible programming designed to help students get internships, externships, connect with alumni, and find jobs for after graduation. I feel very good about my job prospects upon graduation.
I feel generally safe on campus, even walking around alone at night. Also, security is very responsive and will always walk you anywhere at any time if you feel unsafe. Sexual assault is an issue as it is on most American college campuses, but I do feel that the administration and students are taking active steps towards diminishing the problem. It seems that the rate of sexual assault at Carleton is lower than other campuses of similar size/setting.
Some of the dorms aren't as nice as other but all of them are nicer than the average dorm at other college campuses.
The rec center is very nice and well-equipped. We also have a state of the art climbing/bouldering facility.
Carleton is everything I had hoped for in a college experience and more. The people are all incredibly down to earth and ambitious yet not competitive. I am getting a liberal arts education in its finest sense surrounded by other extremely bright individuals who are passionate about learning. I would describe the overall culture of the school as quirky, but in the best way. I feel so blessed to be attending a college where the professors truly care about their students and I can receive an amazing education while surrounded by some of the friendliest, most peculiar, interesting individuals I have ever met.
For students under 21 it's pretty much nonexistent. There's one bar in town that seems to enjoy having Carleton students around, but it's fairly hard to get in if you're underage. Even if you are 21, it's not that great.
Review Carleton College
Usually parties are between cliques on campus, with a few club sport progressives. Other than that, they're nothing much.
Phenomenal. Professors are for the most part excellent, and very few are concerned about only doing their research. Most are friendly, although a few can be a bit hard to approach, the vast majority are kind and willing to help students in office hours. Curriculum is a bit limited given the amount of faculty, so course diversity in smaller departments is lacking. Registration is easy and you can almost always get your first-choice classes, depending on your interests. Workload is pretty high, but then again this depends on your major and how you balance your classes. Study abroad is crazy popular and most do it at least once in a country of their choice - the Cambridge program is excellent.
Diversity here is okay. The school has a crazy liberal bias and if you're not an ultra-liberal, prepared to be called a "racist" or "sexist" rather quickly. Ethnic diversity is lacking, but that's rather common among top liberal arts colleges. Economic diversity is slightly better, and there is also a vibrant LGBT community as well.