- 4 Year
- SEASIDE, CA
- Academicsgrade B minus
- Valuegrade B+
- Diversitygrade A
- Campusgrade C
- Athleticsgrade B minus
- Party Scenegrade B minus
- Professorsgrade B
- Locationgrade A minus
- Dormsgrade C+
- Campus Foodgrade C+
- Student Lifegrade B minus
- Safetygrade B minus
- Branch of
- The California State University
One thing that makes Cal State Monterey Bay different from any other campus in the country is our location. Not only are we just one mile from the beach, we are on the site of a former Army base. Monterey Bay is on the central coast of California, just two hours south of San Francisco. The CSUMB campus is close to pristine beaches, redwood forests, tidepools, and the Fort Ord National Monument.
The bay itself is one of the largest marine protected areas in the world and home to whales, deep sea anglerfish, and of course our mascot, sea otters. CSUMB sits halfway between the Monterey Peninsula, which features the coastal communities of Pacific Grove, Monterey, Seaside and Carmel, and the Salinas Valley, known as the "Salad Bowl of the World" for its abundant agricultural production. The CSUMB campus is surrounded by amazing hiking trails, beaches, the Monterey Wharf, the Santa Cruz Boardwalk, and more!
Admitted Otter Day (Admitted Students Only)
View Event Description
Admitted Otter Day is a celebration for our admitted student otters.
California State University - Monterey Bay Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
Will You Get In?
Most Popular Majors
- Business265 Graduates
- Psychology243 Graduates
- Liberal Arts and Humanities237 Graduates
- Physical Education Teaching and Coaching184 Graduates
- Computer Science162 Graduates
- Human Services134 Graduates
- Biology131 Graduates
- Social Science Research Methods95 Graduates
- Environmental Science82 Graduates
- Marine Science65 Graduates
At CSUMB, we pride ourselves on our small class sizes and personal interactions between faculty and students. We think that is important to make sure that our students, many of whom are the first in their families to attend college, have the tools they need to thrive and to graduate. But we also have a remarkable academic culture that welcomes innovation and experimentation.
- Mix of Online and on Campus31%
- On Campus66%
- Friendly, independent and studious23%
- Friendly and independent22%
- Friendly and community based9%
- Everyone I talk to wants to transfer5%
- Opportunities are endless24%
- Sustainability and environmentally friendly24%
- School is the cheapest out of all CSUs23%
- Perfect for my situation and location.20%
- Home away from home6%
- Location, location, location1%
- Only school that offers my program1%