- 4 Year
- SEASIDE, CA
- Academicsgrade B minus
- Valuegrade B+
- Diversitygrade A minus
- Campusgrade C+
- Athleticsgrade B minus
- Party Scenegrade C+
- Professorsgrade B minus
- Locationgrade A
- Dormsgrade B minus
- Campus Foodgrade C+
- Student Lifegrade B
- Safetygrade B minus
- Branch of
- The California State University
One thing that makes CSUMB different from any other campus in the country is our location. Not only are we just one mile from the beach, we are on the site of a former Army base. Monterey Bay is on the central coast of California, just two hours south of San Francisco. The campus is close to pristine beaches, redwood forests, tidepools, and the Fort Ord National Monument.
The bay itself is one of the largest marine protected areas in the world and home to whales, deep sea anglerfish, and of course our mascot, sea otters. CSUMB sits halfway between the Monterey Peninsula, which features the coastal communities of Pacific Grove, Monterey, Seaside, Carmel, and the Salinas Valley, known as the "Salad Bowl of the World" for its abundant agricultural production. CSUMB is surrounded by amazing hiking trails, beaches, the Monterey Wharf, and the Santa Cruz Boardwalk!
Curious about how much all of this costs? Learn more and sign up for financial aid drop-in counseling in the link below.
California State University - Monterey Bay Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
Will You Get In?
Most Popular Majors
- Liberal Arts and Humanities282 Graduates
- Business262 Graduates
- Psychology242 Graduates
- Physical Education Teaching and Coaching185 Graduates
- Computer Science173 Graduates
- Human Services143 Graduates
- Biology99 Graduates
- Social Science Research Methods84 Graduates
- Environmental Science72 Graduates
- Nursing68 Graduates
At CSUMB, we pride ourselves on our small class sizes and personal interactions between faculty and students. We think that is important to make sure that our students, many of whom are the first in their families to attend college, have the tools they need to thrive and to graduate. But we also have a remarkable academic culture that welcomes innovation and experimentation.
- Mix of Online and on Campus0%
- On Campus0%
- Friendly, independent and studious25%
- Friendly and independent21%
- Friendly and community based10%
- Everyone I talk to wants to transfer5%
- Sustainability and environmentally friendly26%
- Opportunities are endless25%
- School is the cheapest out of all CSUs23%
- Perfect for my situation and location.20%
- Location, location, location3%
- Only school that offers my program1%
California State University - Monterey Bay Reviews
CSUMB has also provided many opportunities that have helped prepare me for the future. There are lots of on-campus jobs that help students gain experience. I've worked as a peer mentor and orientation leader. These roles have pushed me to become more confident in my work and everyday life. There are also lots of community service opportunities that the school encourages students to participate in. I have worked with organizations such as Return of the Natives, Baktun 12, and Monte Reys, a community service organization on campus.