California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo Reviews

3,535 reviews
Love the environment and the professors. Food is also great. Everyone is super nice and all the professors are so nice. It's very safe and the athletics and academics are superior.
1. The prevailing culture of the school is very much a surfing, beach going, and easy living sort of culture. Many people are out surfing, visiting the beach, or hiking around in the area whenever they are not in class. For example, several of my neighbors on my dormitory floor went out surfing this morning. There is very much a sense of work hard in the classroom during the week and set cares aside as soon as the end of the week nears (its typical that the school library isn’t full until Sunday evening). Students outside of the engineering and architecture majors do not have classes on Fridays, so some students do tend to enjoy “long” weekends a lot. With this, there is a reasonably strong party culture at the school (not quite as strong as CU Boulder however). I realize some people tend to like the party culture, while others tend to shy away from the party culture. With that, the traditional consistent studying in the library academia culture present at other schools lacks.
Great campus, a lot of white people so diversity is pretty low. Academics are excellent, and you get a great bang for your buck.
Start Your Review of California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo
I have no complaints about faculty or the courses I took in my time here. As a matter of fact, I did not have one professor I disliked. However, the culture of this campus is overly conservative, and is not safe for non-white, non-Christian, and LGBTQ+ students.
Learn by doing is the motto of the school and they really lived up to it. The professors are very helpful and the student community is very close. The campus is located in the hills and its a beautiful campus.
I visited Cal Poly SLO with my whole family to check out the campus. My dad took us on a tour because he is an alumni from SLO. Everything about this school seemed amazing.
As a person of color I found the campus environment to be very isolating. The faculty in my department (Psychology) were all amazing and one of the main reasons I stayed. However there are consistent incidents of racism throughout the campus that administration fails to do anything about. There are also issues with sexual assault on this campus. The majority of sexual assault and racist offenders receive little to no consequences for their actions.
Very geared toward agriculture and engineering students. Nice variety of courses. Lacks diversity in the community. Nearly all students are from California. The remainder are from Washington or Colorado. Beach is only accessible by car.
Coming to Cal Poly was a big decision for me as an 18 year old. I believe that I made the right decision. The opportunities I have been given and the people I have met here are things I will appreciate forever. The first thing I noticed about Cal Poly was the environment. Just walking around campus you see the people around you are happy to be here, and that is just the type of place I want to be.
I lived the way they made new be=uildings that benefits the student on their education. many asked why did you go there and I'm like why not. Every university is unique in their own way. That makes you understand that many people are going to be.
I've had a great time so far. The professors know their stuff and are engaged with their subjects. The school offers a lot of assistance in various areas. Only downside, lots of walking and lots of hills.
The campus is generally nice with the exception of some outdated buildings. Endless resources available from advising to food pantries. The rec center is definitely a highlight on this campus, 3 pools, multiple basketball courts, beach volleyball courts, and tons of machines. There are also classes available. I've never had problems getting classes despite being a science and math major. Does lack racial diversity. San Luis Obispo is the perfect college town and campus combination with plenty to do in the area from hiking to eating good food to drive in movie theaters! Party scene is great- work hard play hard mentality at hand. There is usually something to do everynight of the week.
Taking my first step on a college campus was very memorable. I remember visiting Cal Poly for the very first time, the weather was beautiful, the people were very nice and the school was obviously much bigger than a high school campus. Although this school gave me a great first impression, I was shocked at the fact that there was hardly any diversity on campus. All I could see was white, white and more white people. Unlike other schools, Cal Poly struggles to gain interest from minorities.
The first thing that drew me to this school was the location and the amount of outdoor activities that you can do. It's a beautiful city. However, I am rating it as average because the majority of the people I came across were either abrasive or unfriendly; this doesn't mean that everyone is, but this was my experience, especially in the dorms. Some professors are outstanding, but there are others that simply make you wonder how they ever were hired in the first place.
I would love to see a bigger push to recognize our minority students and create a more welcoming environment for them
I love Cal Poly! It is an absolutely beautiful area--tons of hikes, 15 minutes from the beach, and even a trail for the horses located on campus. Not to mention you're not far from places like Pismo Beach Sand Dunes, Morro Bay, etc. Everyone who goes here is absolutely in love and obsessed with it and it is a great city in which the community is completely invested in the college town atmosphere!
Academic wise the school has exceptional opportunities for students both incoming and continuing, offering a variety of ways to help students realize if what they're learning is what they're really passionate about. However, the diversity is very minimal and often times the minority students don't necessarily feel at home.
Start Your Review of California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo
Beautiful campus, great teachers, welcoming students! Only drawback is that it can be difficult to get into certain classes but besides that everything is amazing!
I am amazed at how great Cal Poly is. The professors are so knowledgeable in their subjects and the staff are always very helpful. Their Learn By Doing approach to learning is the most effective strategy to get students to learn because they not only understand why something is happening, but they get the experience that they can add to their resume. GREAT school!
Overall, Cal Poly is a university that aims to help the successes of its students. There are many resources available for students around campus. The only thing that is lacking is the campus food and parking.