California Lutheran University Reviews

1,019 reviews
California Lutheran University has a tremendous staff who care deeply for your success during and after your stay at the school. The small-sized campus makes for a feel-good, community-like dynamic in which everybody is accepted and celebrated for who they are. The academics are above average as each professor provides in-depth academia in which they are very passionate about. The smaller class sizes allow for a more intimate setting for students to develop relationships with not just fellow students, but also with their professors. The atmosphere of the entire campus is fresh and welcoming. Personally, it has been very easy getting to know new people whom I have built great relationships with already. Overall, California Lutheran University is a place for people who want to feel at home and feel like they can make an impact on their school.
California Lutheran is a wonderful, safe college with caring professors , thought provoking courses, and just all sorts of great things. It is a smaller campus, but the facilities are top notch. Dorm rooms are huge and have beautiful courtyards. The food is healthy and delicious. I feel that it is underrated as a B+. Consider this university !
Although it is a very small school, it is nice how closely relative everything is. I like how close everyone is at this school and how friendly everyone is. The dorms are pretty nice. It is a lot having five people in one room for freshman, but there is a nice living room. The study rooms are nice to escape to. There are many places to study and do homework.
Start Your Review of California Lutheran University
It is a very safe campus, area being ranked the second safest city of America. It’s very small so if you are looking for an escape from the tedious lifestyle of heavily crowded city, this place is a haven. On the other hand, studies are average. The history department is the most competitive andpopular majors are biology, business and psychology. Only professors teach classes (no grads).Small teacher student ratio so personal interactions.Studies are not academically challenging. Minimum campus diversity. Student life is incredibly dull. There are not a lot of student activities and no party life. As an international student myself I find the place incredibly monotone. There is literally one shopping center in the entire city if you want to go shopping. However,LA and the beach are 45-60mins away. Dorms are small and they don’t take roommate preference into account. On the whole, I give Cal Lutheran a 3 star rating.
The professors here are amazing. Small class sizes (and department sizes) allow you really to get to know your professors, and it's clear that they genuinely care about you. The campus is absolutely beautiful and has great vibes. The new cafeteria has incredible food, and most of the dorms are spacious and comfortable. My only complaint is that I wish it were bigger; sometimes clubs die out because not enough people come to them, and I wish I could get to know more people with similar interests. Overall, though, great experience so far.
I am in love with the campus and surrounding area. You can walk around anywhere at one in the morning and feel one hundred percent safe. I am never worried about my safety on campus, and you definitely get what you pay for. I would like to see some more passion from some faculty and professors, as well as more student diversity. Overall, this university is amazing and definitely worth every penny I spend.
Cal Lu gave me an exceptional education with the help of many great professors. My professors have all been understanding and caring when it came to my education, you are not just a number in a lecture hall. The one downfall is the lack of Greek life making you miss out on the “typical college experience.”
I really enjoy the campus and the students, if you want to be involved you can be as involved as you want. There are many internship opportunities, and people to help.
Its small school, extremely expensive and diverse. The town of thousand oaks is very nice and so is the campus. However, it seems that it lacks in educational value. I feel that I had to put more effort into my studies at a community college.
I love cal lutheran because it is so diverse and everyone on campus is super friendly. I would personally like to see growth in the film and art departments!
CalLu is an overall pretty great school. The professors seem to really care about their students success and personhood. The campus is beautiful, but the food is BAD. Ullman is okay on some days but generally not very good and I always feel sluggish afterwards.
I had a great experience at FLU. It is true that it is a small, friendly campus, and you can certainly make the most of your time there with a variety of activities, study abroad opportunities, clubs and internships. If you lean into it you can fill your 4 years with a wide mix of academic and social experiences .
I recently took a summer college course at this institution and all I can say is that it is a breathtaking experience. Not only is the campus architect beautifully crafted, the professors are so passionate in their lessons that intrigue me deeper than any other school. The professors question your thinking and guide you to think of another perspective that you would have never imagined thinking about. They are helpful and willing to go up and over for any question you have. Similarly, the students encourage everyone to come together and form a family. Within this family you learn to love others and embrace each others differences regardless of their background. All in all, the institution aims for a higher education for every student that would not dare leave anyone out of this amazing experience and will help you financially.
I love my university because of the small class sizes to begin with. These classes allow teacher- student interactions to be much more refined. Also, the campus is beautiful and the staff is very attentive.
I loved California Lutheran University! Small class sizes, the professors truly care and want you to succeed! Great location!
The academics are excellent if you're willing to take advantage of what's available to you. The campus is very nice and the region is great for hiking and stuff like that. The dorms are overpriced for what they offer and the rules are applied on an unbudging zero tolerance policy that I've seen do in a lot of students over things like having a beer in the fridge. The majority of people on campus are extremely well off and it creates a culture that's unwelcoming to poorer students. And above all, the school is exorbitantly expensive.

I say that if you are religious, passionate about sports, like a smaller more intimate campus, and can afford the school it's a good option. Otherwise explore your options for somewhere more affordable that respects its students.
Cal Lu is THE BEST private and liberal arts school in the country! The professors and the small class sizes are amazing, as is the overall atmosphere at the university. The aid and scholarships are extremely helpful.
Start Your Review of California Lutheran University
As an alum of California Lutheran University I was able to see how much respect employers have for graduates from here as I prepared to enter the workforce. I was able to get a job thanks in large part to the Career Services department on campus -- they even helped me with my resume and prepping for the interview.
Great school, small class sizes, real opportunities for deep relationships with professors. But, a little limited in student support services and diversity of students.
California Lutheran is a fantastic university! The only complaint I have to make about it is that it doesn't always do a good job recognizing its student's financial struggles. The Financial Aid office needs to be made aware of other ways to help.