California Institute of the Arts Reviews

The school is excellent! My major is involved in the Herb Albert School of Music which in itself is very open to any style of music, has several performance opportunities, and teaches valuable information that the modern-day musician needs to be able to take on a number of careers and music degree can give. The school as a whole has an incredible, stress- free environment that is constantly inspiring students to step outside of the box and be as creative as possible. The school even has it's own cute coffee shop and a huge cafeteria full of gourmet food and options for every kind of diet. The dorms are on campus making it super easy to get to class and it also has it's own little cafe/game room, spacious rooms, a pool, a gym, and even a sauna. The only issue with the school is the handicap accessibility and the tuition in which there is funding help from the school, but no full ride options.
The experience at CALARTS is the best experience I have been through and that it such a qualify way of telling everyone that this is the perfect spot for someone who loves video and to film stuff like how Tim Burton attended this college as well. Such a way of telling how this school was and can't wait to join it soon.
Great place to achieve your goals and pursue your dreams! The professors are great and atmosphere overall is very friendly.
Start Your Review of California Institute of the Arts
i would like to visit the campus and consider applying to be a pastry chef after high school. And will love to experience the culinary world and learn new techniques.
My overall experience at CalArts has been pleasant. I love the small campus, you really get to know your classmates. the class sizes are also smaller so the teachers are able to take a more personal interest in your development. The class that I find the hardest is "Skills."
My strong attraction to CalArts came when I first visited the campus. Every aspect of the environment captivated me, especially the accepting and encouraging energy that every member of the community, staff and student alike, radiates. The focus on diversity and the versatility of their programs is very inspiring.
I can't recommend the graduate program in Art. Unbelievably shabby and out of date facilities, lacking in the most basic of requirements for a contemporary practice. No surprise that the 'post-studio' approach is what's being pushed, then. The Broad studios ARE sexy in that down-at-the-mouth clearance-rack modernism kind of way, if a bit prone to being water-logged in the winter and working solar ovens in the summer.If you're in Photo/Media you have aluminum cow sheds plopped on a parking lot to look forward to.Faculty in the Art school are mostly checked-out; there is little community feeling besides the transactional niceties and scratch-my-back groupie-formations. Lots of old white dudes too, if you're into that sort of thing.The program hasn't produced anyone or thing of interest for about a decade. This might be because there is no structure, or even a guiding idea,& an apparently constant crisis in performing even the most basic of administrative procedures to operate it.
it is known for the best animations in television today. it has also inspired me to start animating at a young age. ive been drawing since I was 5 years old and ive always wanted for others than just myself, and that is what I think will happen with this school
No Thanks.
I'm an employer. The school technically trains their students for the type of field we are in but their grads have no respect for the work relationship, will just decide to 'try something new' and let you know a few days after they leave that they had a great time working and is excited about traveling. No regard.
My last grad I dealt with violated a major company policy, and on top of that went behind our back and stole one of our clients.
No thanks.....
So far I love it. The people are really nice here. The professors are exceptional and the facilities are well-kept and well-equipt to make art. The one thing I'd like to see change is maybe facilitating a tuition cap.
It is a college I would like to attend to. I would want to become a graphic designer and photographer and study the fashion of both majors.
Great artistic place. Full of art and culture. Very diverse. Great artistic place. Full of art and culture. Very diverse. Great artistic place. Full of art and culture. Very diverse. Great artistic place. Full of art and culture. Very diverse. Great artistic place. Full of art and culture. Very diverse. Great artistic place. Full of art and culture. Very diverse. Great artistic place. Full of art and culture. Very diverse. Great artistic place. Full of art and culture. Very diverse.
Film/Video is the best school and has the sanest people. I only recommend going for School of F/V. People from dance, music, and theater are scary and on drugs. The administration and distrubution of funds has a lot to improve on. Dorm facilities are outdated. The dorm plumbing is terrible and unsanitary. The campus is unsafe and has had multiple shooting threats. It really is the students keeping the school alive and functioning. The community is great, aside from the heavy drug and drinking culture.
The whole atmosphere at this school is so encouraging and creative. I get inspired all the time by the fellows and teachers here. Tons of opportunities to show my artworks are offered. I can surely say that this is the most open place about races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and any other stuff in the world.
The best part of being a student at California Institute of the Arts is that you are free to express anything you want, including going to class naked. You have the right for almost anything, the school is full of creativity. There are rarely any wrong answers. Mainly of the people are open minded, free to be who you truly are. Very accepting people all around. The professors are kind, you could speak to them about anything and will be helpful. It doesn't feel anything like High School, to me attending Calarts has given me a lot of freedom to do what I wish with my personal life and my practice. You may take any class you are interested in even if it is not your major. The only thing wrong about this school is that, it is not a diverse school. Thursday nights, which is gallery night is typically party time.
It is an amazing school for art students. As a musician, it has been an amazing experience so far and it proves every day to have the most amazing teachers and experience. The food could improve, though!
CalArts has been a great place to develop my artistic skills. I like that this school encompasses all major areas of art under one roof giving you the opportunity to cross-pollinate with and take classes in other disciplines.
Start Your Review of California Institute of the Arts
CalArts is a school for the privileged & rich. The facilities are all outdated and are lacking basic resources that they provide at other schools. Low-income students will struggle no matter how talented you are.
This college is a great outlet for young artists to grow and explore beyond their boundaries. With a credible faculty and a liberal environment each student is given the opportunity to express through art.
I would like to see more effort put in from the academic teachers. Most of the teachers here are artists themselves and they don't know how to approach a topic to a group of students.