California Institute of the Arts Reviews

I would like to see more effort put in from the academic teachers. Most of the teachers here are artists themselves and they don't know how to approach a topic to a group of students.
CalArts is a welcoming and empowering environment for aspiring artists. They make sure that the students have the tools that they need to create and collaborate with other artists. They have students coming from all over the world---a great way to connect with people coming from different backgrounds and culture. Furthermore, CalArts provides the students with the knowledge that they need to succeed in their chosen metier. However, they do lack in traditional academic classes so the option to have an academic minor is quite limited. Other than that, I think CalArts is a wonderful place for artists like me to grow and learn.
Just by touring the school, I fell in love. Contemporary art is what matters most at that school. The campus is beautiful and clean and even the interior is clean. It resides in a quiet neighborhood so if I go there, which I pray, I'll be more than focused on my work. Attending that school makes me excited and await to live in one of the safest cities in California.
Start Your Review of California Institute of the Arts
The class sizes are small, meaning a more intimate connection is brought inside the class. The teachers are engaging and the teaching styles vary, but all the material is learned.
There are many job offerings on campus, whether it is or is not for work study.
There have not been any major issues that campus security has had to deal with.
Living on campus makes it relatively easy to get to classes easy, the dorms are fairly close to the main building. The dorms are pretty clean, the bathrooms could use some work. Mom's Cafe is somewhat boring but the pool outside is nice.
Every student that I have met is insanely talented in their metier.The energy is always positive because everyone is loving and accepting. It seems as if time moves slower here, maybe because there's always so much going on.
For my fist year, I really enjoyed the diversity of students from each department in collaborating works of art together.
It does not feel particularly dangerous considering that the city is considered the 2nd safest city in the US (apparently). Though we have had warnings come through campus security of people being banned for harassment and a homeless person hanging out in the music school, as well as an old lady taking a topless shower by the dorm pool. We called security about the old lady and they basically told us to just chill. Take what you will of that!
The rooms are wide and at least the bathrooms are only shared with one or two other rooms. I have still experienced a good share of mold and disgusting toilets and the building itself is kind of old. Fire alarms go off like every week especially early in the year and are very disruptive, it's also kind of unsafe because nobody even cares about fire alarms anymore. There's really only one building unless you're at least a 3rd year student, and the only other housing option is kind of tiny. Finding an apartment after your first year is probably going to be a lot nicer.
We don't even have a mascot. If you're super into athletics this is not the school for you. We have one tiny soccer club that less than twenty people are probably in and that's about it for sports, unless you count Yoga and Tai Chi classes.
Everyone here is passionate, liberal and open-minded. Sometimes you'll come across snobs but that goes for basically anywhere in the world. This school is all about challenging the norm and it's awesome, but you won't get the typical college experience here.
The professors that I spend the most time with are dance teachers being as though it is my major. I am so satisfied with the dance faculty at my school. They show a genuine interest in each student's artistic and emotional well-being. They are willing to answer any questions we have regarding dance and life and do all they can to help us grow.
We have frequent meetings and discussions about different paths we can take regarding our career. The career services that we have on campus are extremely informative and take time to help us feel secure in our career choices.
The security that we have on campus are reliable. They do what they can to make you feel safe. There are few of them so they can not stop everything bad from happening. However, if something dangerous does take place they take immediate action and spread the word so we can be precautious as well.
Living on campus has been a convenience. Having my dorm room not far from my classes is so helpful. With my busy schedule, it is nice that getting to class from the dorms only takes a few minutes.
Start Your Review of California Institute of the Arts
As an artist, it can be difficult to find a place where you are completely accepted and understood. My school is just this. Each student is encouraged to explore their artistry while also being challenged intellectually. Attending this school has not only allowed me to grow as artist but also a critical thinker.
I love my school. Elements of CalArts may be bumped and bruised but as a whole the community stands strong to together in supporting and fighting for each other.
I don't know much about the career center, but I do know CalArts has an eclectic assortment of alumni.