California College of the Arts Reviews

While no art school is perfect, CCA has an awesome community that I am glad to be part of. I'm an animation major and the community of artists are very tight-knit. Alumni are very supportive and many return to give events and advice on the industry. Professors at CCA are also very tightly associated with Pixar Animation Studios and it's very accessible to form connections with animators in the industry!

I also believe that your experience here is really what you make of it. I decided to attend CCA initially because of the scholarship and financial aid that they offered me, but I stayed for the community and because the professors and animation students are very passionate and supportive of our craft. This year, I've also become involved in Student Council and am starting a CCA UNICEF club to improve outreach and promote awareness among the art community about social issues. These activities, and the people I've met through them, have really enriched my life.
I love it so far. Some really cool people and professors. Right now, I'm living in oakland at Clifton Hall, which is kinda nice and convenient. There's no excuse to miss class since it's right next to the campus. What's sad though is that the oakland campus is moving it all to SF in 2 years & housing will all be in SF by next year. I hear the new dorms they're building are really nice, but it will bump up the cost for housing so make sure you can afford it.
The admissions here at CCA can be a bit complicated but the opportunities presented to me have been great. I have had paid internships, the chance to be a teaching assistant, I have curated a show, and even get my own studio to paint in. Professors at this school are usually extremely qualified and often teach at other renowned schools such as UC Berkeley.
Start Your Review of California College of the Arts
from firsthand freshmen transfer experience, the California College of the Arts debatably for the worse or best places more emphasis to their programs for their students than other things such as a gym. The various instructors in campus are a hit or miss situation meaning that some are fully experienced with their studies and others that are casual about it, nonetheless all instructors do their best to help you pass their class. Although it's highly appreciated that some instructors help students with their classroom issues, it's best to let the students figure out their issues on their own for experience. In conclusion, The school cares for its students, even if it's not shown in a way most would be familiar to or appreciate, the school does what it can do to aid its students to strive towards their careers.
Diversifying the student body and staff inside of the college would greatly improve the community morale, and give the staff and administration more tools for working with the surrounding communities instead of a relationship that is much less that symbiotic.
Many reviews on this site have already addressed the main issues the school has yet to fixed, such as the lack of real diversity of students and professors, unqualified faculty members, poor communication between departments, and no meal plan and healthcare.
It's a fine school with teachers motivating students to do well. I am eager to do well here for the next 3-4 years.
CCA has been great- I highly recommend the MFA in Comics program! It's a low residency program where students are on campus in San Francisco for the month of July and can complete their other coursework online throughout the year. We are working on storytelling, drawing and inking skills, digital coloring, and comics history. Additionally, every student has a faculty mentor who works with them on their thesis assignments.
i have no words for this school. they JUST WANT YOUR MONEY. DONT GO HERE. EVER. food - terrible, there's no meal plan don't listen to them they give you a card with 300$ on it and the food is terrible. the campus has no safety, there is a gate but then a parking lot right after and it absolutely makes no sense at all. the teachers are mostly failed artists that brag about their own work but don't know how to guide you. there is no gym, no way of getting the students to know each other, everyone is by themselves. i have no words for this school, absolute waste of money and time. ALSO you won't be living in San Fran, you'll live in Oakland so get ready for some fun e-mails of how students are getting robbed weekly.
School has no care for their student's health, and forced them to go to class in unhealthy air quality conditions or they could fail.
The campuses lack photos, the website is old, once I arrived there I didn't even know how my room is going to look like. As an international student, they don't offer you much and there isn't such thing as "diversity" because it is not a very big college, I get that. They didn't help me with much being international, nor financial solutions or different attitude because I had no idea how the system functions, I had to find out for myself. Also, they pretty much give scholarships to everyone. The college is SO EXPENSIVE and the scholarship is not even "there" because you can't feel like it actually helps your budget. You have to pay for your food, that is another point that annoyed me, you have to pay to wash your laundries, again, why? It's just, you invest so much money into this school and you still have to pay for the little things.
But yeah, the teachers are great, hands down.
The campus may be small, but it's one of the most diverse and creative colleges in the country. I recommend applying here if you are looking for an art school and want to live somewhere with decent weather.
What I did like about CCA was the frequent student organized activities. Some of their faculty are also very qualified in their job and have ties to thier respective industries. That is about it. I attended CCA for a year and decided not to return. The primarily incompetent faculty, poor living conditions in the dorms besides Clifton, the administration that is woefully incompetent and often downright malignant made it against my better interest to return for the next term.
CCA has an incredible community that invites diversity in order to create an environment where students and faculties are open to freely exchange their ideas and creativity. I found it easy to meet new people and the community was overall very welcoming. Academically, I had minor issues in regarding some programs that fail to provide broader opportunities and options following certain specific major programs but there are professors who aided me significantly through out my first year in college! There aren't any sports or athletics clubs that are offered and unfortunately the school also doesn't offer any gyms for students to access.
The faculty is amazing, and the BArch program is great, but I wish interdisciplinary connections were facilitated more.
Very fun, very diverse, very DIY social scene. A mix of very driven profession-minded students and those that integrate fun and play into their work.
I study an undergraduate in Animation and going into my sophomore year. Although CCA has great teachers from Pixar, the teachers don't really seem to help you unless you ask for help. There are many great resources, and you can definitely learn more than you could ask for in multiple disciplines! Lately, CCA has opened new VR classes for animation and have a new professor who is the author of Force: Dynamic Life Drawings. Individually, you WILL spend a lot of money for his classes, and with a little asking around you'll find what is worth your money. The exchange program offers you to go around anywhere in the States, but you also have the opportunity to go overseas! CCA has a lot of great programs to take you on trips, you get to improve a lot.
Start Your Review of California College of the Arts
The main thing to do is to just be a transfer student to gain more experience if you want to be a animation major. Also the core classes are all good experience, however it's extremely stressful in starting out as a freshman.
This school is an expensive waste of time. The administration is terrible. The classes are asinine. No sports, no meal plan, a three absent fail policy. The amenities are barely existent. If you live in the dorms I hope you like drafts and mold. The only thing that keeps me here is the stellar animation staff. If that’s worth terrible conditions and $40,000 a year minimum to you knock yourself out. Wish I had never come to this garbage heap.
Both Campuses are great and have really good facilities. There's a wide and interesting range of classes to take. The teachers are helpful. The houses is also pretty great.