California College of the Arts Reviews

California College of the Arts has been an amazing place to study art thus far. I have done things for art that I never imagined I would do. They will push you beyond what you know and do but it is for the best. The students are amazing and kind. It is great to be surrounded by fellow artists and to be able to bounce ideas off of one another. The professors push you and are there for you, they care about each student. The professors work in the profession that they are teaching. Overall it has been a great experience thus far. The only issue I had was with the finacial aid department they are very difficult to work with and will mess up your aid multiple times.
I liked how the school reached out to me through various emails and letters in the mail. I also appreciated how encouraging they were and it truly felt like they wanted me on campus for sure.
This college is very good if you want to start an advance career in an artistic field. Here you find nice people to interact with. You can sustain a healthy life style within your dorm rooms because they have a lot of available vegan meals.
Start Your Review of California College of the Arts
Very strong Architecture Department with amazing professors and opportunities. Very small class sizes and lots of individual attention from professors. Dorms are terrible and its much cheaper to live off campus.
As soon as I stepped on CCA's campus my junior year of high school, I knew that I belonged there. The beautiful campus was breathetaking, and my mind went wild with all the creative opportunities that I could achieve. The classrooms and work stations were an artist's dream come true. It was like everything I was looking for in a school in my mind had come to life right here in San Francisco. I loved the great location, and the campus has great security so I felt like I woyld always be safe.
I like my experience so far. School feels very community and engaging. The one thing I would change however is money. Like many others students in other schools, I wish mine was better funded to support student grants, scholarships, those in need, etc. But also understand the investment I have made on myself.
California College of the Arts if a school of Craft. Professors, students, and faculty are all super engaged in the curriculum of the students. I love that all of my teachers are practicing professionals and can give me insight to my field within the Bay area and around the world. I feel so inspired to be learning in San Francisco. Diverse group of students and faculty allows for making connections across the world.

The only downfall this school has is within the administration of financial aid and student housing. Communication can be really frustrating and the people that work in these departments seem to be consistently changing.
The college has two campuses, with different features and advantages. The professors are patient and skillful, and academic resources are abundant. However, the safety of campus is terrible regarding the area. There is a lot of robberies and sometimes gun shoot happens near the campus. Students need to go together off-campus and try to avoid going out at night.
This is my first year and I am an incoming freshman. I really enjoy the community – you are surrounded by creativity. I've been pushed as an artist and that challenge has made me such a stronger person, artist, and student
While no art school is perfect, CCA has an awesome community that I am glad to be part of. I'm an animation major and the community of artists are very tight-knit. Alumni are very supportive and many return to give events and advice on the industry. Professors at CCA are also very tightly associated with Pixar Animation Studios and it's very accessible to form connections with animators in the industry!

I also believe that your experience here is really what you make of it. I decided to attend CCA initially because of the scholarship and financial aid that they offered me, but I stayed for the community and because the professors and animation students are very passionate and supportive of our craft. This year, I've also become involved in Student Council and am starting a CCA UNICEF club to improve outreach and promote awareness among the art community about social issues. These activities, and the people I've met through them, have really enriched my life.
I love it so far. Some really cool people and professors. Right now, I'm living in oakland at Clifton Hall, which is kinda nice and convenient. There's no excuse to miss class since it's right next to the campus. What's sad though is that the oakland campus is moving it all to SF in 2 years & housing will all be in SF by next year. I hear the new dorms they're building are really nice, but it will bump up the cost for housing so make sure you can afford it.
The admissions here at CCA can be a bit complicated but the opportunities presented to me have been great. I have had paid internships, the chance to be a teaching assistant, I have curated a show, and even get my own studio to paint in. Professors at this school are usually extremely qualified and often teach at other renowned schools such as UC Berkeley.
from firsthand freshmen transfer experience, the California College of the Arts debatably for the worse or best places more emphasis to their programs for their students than other things such as a gym. The various instructors in campus are a hit or miss situation meaning that some are fully experienced with their studies and others that are casual about it, nonetheless all instructors do their best to help you pass their class. Although it's highly appreciated that some instructors help students with their classroom issues, it's best to let the students figure out their issues on their own for experience. In conclusion, The school cares for its students, even if it's not shown in a way most would be familiar to or appreciate, the school does what it can do to aid its students to strive towards their careers.
Diversifying the student body and staff inside of the college would greatly improve the community morale, and give the staff and administration more tools for working with the surrounding communities instead of a relationship that is much less that symbiotic.
Many reviews on this site have already addressed the main issues the school has yet to fixed, such as the lack of real diversity of students and professors, unqualified faculty members, poor communication between departments, and no meal plan and healthcare.
It's a fine school with teachers motivating students to do well. I am eager to do well here for the next 3-4 years.
CCA has been great- I highly recommend the MFA in Comics program! It's a low residency program where students are on campus in San Francisco for the month of July and can complete their other coursework online throughout the year. We are working on storytelling, drawing and inking skills, digital coloring, and comics history. Additionally, every student has a faculty mentor who works with them on their thesis assignments.
Start Your Review of California College of the Arts
i have no words for this school. they JUST WANT YOUR MONEY. DONT GO HERE. EVER. food - terrible, there's no meal plan don't listen to them they give you a card with 300$ on it and the food is terrible. the campus has no safety, there is a gate but then a parking lot right after and it absolutely makes no sense at all. the teachers are mostly failed artists that brag about their own work but don't know how to guide you. there is no gym, no way of getting the students to know each other, everyone is by themselves. i have no words for this school, absolute waste of money and time. ALSO you won't be living in San Fran, you'll live in Oakland so get ready for some fun e-mails of how students are getting robbed weekly.
School has no care for their student's health, and forced them to go to class in unhealthy air quality conditions or they could fail.
The campuses lack photos, the website is old, once I arrived there I didn't even know how my room is going to look like. As an international student, they don't offer you much and there isn't such thing as "diversity" because it is not a very big college, I get that. They didn't help me with much being international, nor financial solutions or different attitude because I had no idea how the system functions, I had to find out for myself. Also, they pretty much give scholarships to everyone. The college is SO EXPENSIVE and the scholarship is not even "there" because you can't feel like it actually helps your budget. You have to pay for your food, that is another point that annoyed me, you have to pay to wash your laundries, again, why? It's just, you invest so much money into this school and you still have to pay for the little things.
But yeah, the teachers are great, hands down.