Butler University Reviews

1,225 reviews
-STEM education is severely lacking in career prep
-Advising is extremely poor - all are professors that don't have good advice or guidance to help students who are unsure of direction
-Administration is terrible. The Butler that I was admitted to and the Butler that exists now are in direct opposition. Their original value set was very student-oriented and now students are literally the university's last priority.
-Financial aid program: riddled with inconsistencies and lies. Tell different people different information on the "maximum amount" one can receive in combined academic and financial aid.
-Student culture and the Butler community: if you do not fit into the stereotypical white and upperclass community or are in any way "alternative", you will be miserable. Greek life completely dominates campus. That said, if that's something you're looking for, you will likely be very happy here.

+ Professors are great and genuinely care about the students.
The small community is the best aspect of Butler. Your professors all know who you are and will be as committed to your success as you are.
I just finished up my first year at college and it has truly been a perfect fit. It has already allowed me to grow and challenge me in ways that I am grateful for. I have made lifelong friends and have had the opportunity to get involved in amazing events the schools puts on. The community of care is real at Butler University.
Review Butler University
Butler University is a great school for people interested in small close nit campus where greek life is the center of social life. If you do not have a car it is difficult to get around and there is no college town in walking distance. It is a beautiful campus but very expensive
I have only finished my first year at Butler, but it has been the best first year I could have ever experienced. I was able to interact with countless people and built relationships along the way. The classes were designed to have personal professor to student relationships. The only thing that I would like is that it had more diversity and have more people of color on campus.
My experience at Butler University was indescribable. Butler is a small university, with a big school connection. Having attended Butler for 4 years, the liberal arts education has provided me with a sense of preparedness if my field of interest. I took an interdisciplinary social science major that allowed me to explore different facets of the field. My workload consisted of public health classes, pharmacy elective, psychology and environmental classes. Butler provides a sense of togetherness. Because it is a small university, the one-to-one interaction with professors and administration made my experience more personal. I was more of a name, rather than a number. With a small university, networking with faculty and staff was easy to do. Networking is crucial in order to become successful in one's future professional career. Professors worked around the student's schedule rather the other way around. This speaks volume as the care and effort the university has in students.
Simply a fantastic place to go attend college. The community is friendly, and the faculty are there to help you succeed and grow as an individual. It's the Butler Way!
Butler University is a great university to attend for academic purposes. I have attended Butler for a year and have enjoyed my academic and social experiences at this university.
I was in a specialized major and had to leave after going through unrelated medical problems, but once I was allowed to go back to school, I knew that Butler wasn't right for me in particular. Friends who are in larger majors or who were raised in the Midwest seem to have a better experience than I did.
I was on the border about going to Butler, but now I am so happy I did. The professors are here to help students, campus life is great, and the people are awesome if you are willing to give them a chance. Butler's campus is beautiful and feels like home, and the health and recreation complex is really great to work out at. There is much to do on campus even if you are not involved in Greek life.
It is a great school with great academics and even better basketball. The campus is small yet still feels like you aren't crowded. Everyone is friendly and the greek life is amazing
My experience at Butler has been nothing less than phenomenal. With going away for the first time, from a small town, my academic advisor saw my sadness. He emailed me and had me come to his office on several occasions during the first couple weeks. His words, "Chelsea, you are not going home." He was my second dad, mentor and an actual professor my first semester. I am forever grateful to him! I majoring in Sports Media and have already made huge strides in my field. The professors and athletic department are so welcoming and accommodating to their students! I now know what they mean when you hear, "The Butler Way!" Everything is absolutely top notch here at this incredible institution!
I love Butler. It is such a great place and I cannot say enough nice things about it. It is mostly rich white kids that come here but that is due to the lack of financial aid that they are able to give.
A college that offers the whole college experience. A gorgeous campus surrounded by a safe community. A visit to Butler is unlike the rest.
Butler seems to be focused more on prospective students and families rather than the ones that are currently attending. Tuition has increased and students here are paying for amenities for future classes that we will most likely never see. The professors are wonderful and dedicated. Having struggled with mental illness I have had great professors who have worked with me to help me be successful.
Butler is a community. Bulldogs stick together and I don't feel like I am fully removed from anyone else. We support each other and treat each other with respect. I like this feeling. Campus is small yet open and gives a very comfortable atmosphere for learning and expression.
The one thing I wish that Butler did better was seek student input on large decisions.
Butler has a wonderful over-all feel to it. You feel at home the second you walk on campus. The professors are great and actually care that you do well. Opportunity is everywhere if you're not lazy. Take advantage of your surroundings (Indy), there's plenty to do! I love this school, Go Dawgs!
Review Butler University
There is an overall "snooty" atmosphere here at Butler sometimes, and most people come from those types of rich families. Although the teachers are great, sometimes the students are questionable.
Butler is a small campus, with a large sense of community, and the big school sports and academics. The professors truly care about you and your education, and the opportunities are endless.
I love Butler so much. I cannot imagine going to any other school. The one thing I do not like is the way the housing is headed. They are tearing down Ross and Schwitzer, so freshmen live in apartment or suite style dorms. There is no sense of community in ResCo or Fairview and Butler is making a huge mistake by eliminating Ross and Schwitzer.