Bowdoin College Reviews

Bowdoin College has an incredibly welcoming environment and the administration and staff work very had to provide financial assistance for every student. While it is a friendly campus, there remains some problems of racial diversity and inter-racial inclusiveness to address.
I miss not sure how Bowdoin got its liberal image. This is very much a good old boys network. The professors are quite closed minded and love to put students in their place, below them.
What used to be an exceptional liberal arts school is morphing into a college that seeks status. I think it's an odd fit to promote a sports culture at Bowdoin. The athletes stick out like sore thumbs in class. I feel like Bowdoin now just fills buckets with students by demographics to look good on paper.
Start Your Review of Bowdoin College
I love Bowdoin so much. It's a very supportive place full of wonderful people! I've gotten to take really interesting classes and felt challenged but still supported by friends and the college.
I am very disappointed in the direction that Bowdoin has taken in the past ten years. The college admissions policies and process is completely tailored to increasing their rankings. Political correctness is completely over the top (this coming from a bleeding heart liberal). Sports recruiting seems excessive.
Great academics and professors. Not a lot going on around campus. It's like we've retired at age 20. It's a pretty campus but if you're looking for a lot of activity you'll be disappointed.
Bowdoin caters to it's athletes. Money is moved around to get them here without athletic scholarship. Our admin values athletics over academics yet no one attends sporting events.
Much more of a party school than I expected. Bowdoin pampers students in a way. I was hoping for more vigorous curriculum.
Bowdoin students seem to pressure themselves to be certain things. It can be a very superficial and unhealthy environment. Tuition is so expensive so chose your major wisely. The academic advising here is not very proactive.
I am a parent of a first year student. We are from South Florida so the first question to answer I hear is “Why Maine, isn’t it cold?” The answer is yes the weather is cold but Bowdoin is also “So warm” you forget about the cold. All the students I’ve met are warm, welcoming, intelligent, and supportive; not cut-throat competitive. It’s truly an amazing place to be with a top moth education.
Brunswick is a nice coastal town. The campus is also very picturesque. I could see a lot of student diversity which is important to me. But I didn't get a strong sense of community or welcoming. It's very good school just maybe not for me.
I am a first year at Bowdoin and it's a great school. The people and professors make it amazing. It's a smaller school, so class sizes are small (which I like) and you get to know everybody very quickly.
I thought I was prepared for NE weather but who can prepare for 5 degree mornings? And winter is not just three months. I’ve enjoyed most of my classes but overall I question the return on my investment here.
I like Bowdoin because it’s in a wonderful location if you have any interest in the outdoors. The professors I’ve had so far has been great and the school provides an abundance of support for its students both academically and in their transition to college. I feel that, while the school is doing okay on its diversity, it could go a long way to really build a more inclusive community. Overall I’m very happy at Bowdoin.
After just finishing my first semester at Bowdoin, I can say that there are a lot of ups and downs. I love the campus, and I LOVE the surrounding area. Bowdoin is not that typical LAC in the middle of nowhere--Brunswick is the cutest town with tons of coffee shops and amazing restaurants; Freeport is a great place to do some shopping and spend the day with friends; Portland is an amazing, safe city. It is very easy to get to these places through a $3 bus. The health services are pretty terrible though; the counseling services are subpar at best, and if you are sick and don't have immediately diagnosable strep, the health center won't do anything for you.

For me, it was hard to make close friends at first. Everyone puts forward a version of themselves that they think others will like, and I found myself growing close to people with whom, as I got to know them, I did not necessarily want to stay close. It's rough the first few months, but it gets better.
I love the fact that Bowdoin is a small, liberal arts college. I am someone who thrives in close teacher-student relationships, and Bowdoin provides me with such an opportunity. Further, the College's emphasizes on career development is really important. For instance, Bowdoin displays fashion shows among students and faculty to learn "what to wear and what not to wear for an interview." Further, even though Bowdoin does not have a Journalism program, they do have an English major, and also the opportunity to create one's own program/major.
Having a lot of difficulty justifying the tuition here. Too many students signing up based on loan approvals without weighing the debt against a liberal arts education. I believe he tide is turning on this practice.
Start Your Review of Bowdoin College
Not enough diversity. Takes the motto "work hard/play hard" way too seriously. Students are super stressed out and then rely on binge drinking all weekend.
The culture of the campus is what makes it great. Most school experiences, as far as I know, are what you make of them, but Bowdoin is exceptional at helping you make the most of your time here. I love my classes, professors, and friends I have made.
The atmosphere there was very welcoming and they were very willing to help in any way they could to make your college experience the best one possible.