Bowdoin College Reviews

Most Bowdoin students come from similar privileged backgrounds. This doesn't encourage much diversity of thought. If you are one of the "have nots" you can feel a little odd, especially when you're the only one of your group that needs to worry about loans. Tuition is just so high that it attracts and retains the wealth.
So glad I chose to come to Bowdoin! A very close community where people treat each other with kindness and are excited to learn from their peers. Quality of life is great, with great dorms, food and surrounding area. Classes are challenging but there is very little competitiveness and lots of support for students academically. For a small liberal arts school, there is a very healthy and fun social life.
No doubt academics are top rank, I love my classes and professors so much. The social scene is a little high schoolish. I think the small student body combined with the fact that more than half the students play sports, creates a lot of cliques. If you're on a team you really only socialize with your teammates, if you're an out of state student you tend to find your people that are from your area. I'm not sure what admin can do to bring cohesiveness but it would most definitely help the overall experience at Bowdoin.
Start Your Review of Bowdoin College
Best things about Bowdoin: the PEOPLE (A-grade human beings very smart and very fun), the PROFESSORS (inspiring, caring, personable, incredibly intelligent), FOOD!!!! (see NYtimes article), Parties (DJ pub nights, social house parties, Crackhouse, Joshuas, fun people), CAMPUS (gorgeous gorgeous accessible campus), NO frats or sororities, Great clubs and events on campus constantly
I loved attending Bowdoin, but it is very expensive and was not very flexible with my family in our financial aid. It is also not a very diverse student body, but is working slowly to change this. Most professor are excellent and you get to engage with them very closely at such a small school, and the professors welcome this.
Next year I will have a Junior at Bowdoin as well as an incoming freshman. No matter if you are a nerd student or a promising artist, Bowdoin is THE place to help you discover your passion. My girls love their college. Go visit. You’ll fall in love with our Polar Bear community!
Bowdoin provides students with so many opportunities. The professors are excellent, the food is fantastic, the dorms are spacious and clean, and the campus is beautiful.
I had an excellent experience at Bowdoin. This is a wonderful place to live, work, and learn. My relationships with professors and peers have had lifelong impact.
Bowdoin provides an excellent environment to learn, grow as a person, and make life long connections. Bowdoin students have incredibly diverse interests yet a common drive to put everything they have into their pursuits. Bowdoin is more than the best 4 years of your life because you become part of a life long community.
Admissions does a good job of ensuring that a group of enthusiastic, intelligent, and unique people come in each year. My professors all care about my learning, and achieving success is never impossible. I am happy the school got rid of quints for first year housing. They are renovating many dorms and adding new options for upper-class students which is warmly welcomed. The party life may not be bumping, but what the school lacks in basement bangers, it makes up in their outstanding event programming; BOC (outing club) often has weekly events and outings, college houses and academic departments bring incredible speakers to campus, improv is funny for the most part, and Bowdoin must have the most a cappella singers per capita out of all other NESCACS. Club sports and some varsity sports aren't out of reach for anyone, and there is always some kind of food for anyone. Polar bear is a cool mascot, and black and white make for flattering school clothing (very slimming).
Everyone on the tour was helpful and enthusiastic. Bowdoin campus was pretty and I can only imagine more so in the fall. I would’ve liked to have seen more variety in class options. The students are diverse which is a huge plus.
Bowdoin isn't perfect. Most of the complaints here are grounded in truth. Winters are long, classes are tough, the party scene gets old, you can't escape those you want to avoid, the narp/athlete divide can get to you, and the students can at times seem both too political and not political enough. But damn, I love this school. I've grown - both emotionally & intellectually - in ways that I don't think would've been possible at any other school. Students are friendly, smart, and intellectually curious. There's no social hierarchy. The professors are first rate. Classes are niche, engaging, and interesting, & the near-open curriculum lets you pursue your passions. Town residents, staff, & security are a huge part of the community. Brunswick & Portland are both awesome and having the ocean nearby is HUGE. I was abroad last semester and I'm itching to get back to the challenge and rigor of the academics, the cozy familiarity of the campus, and the places & people I love.
Bowdoin is both a beautiful and diverse college and I cannot recommend it more highly. The professors care about each individual's experience. Additionally, the student life and overall culture is very positive and accepting.
I've loved Bowdoin. The school was extremely helpful during my first year. I had math tutors almost 24/7 and was able to reach professors easily. Some talk of an athlete/non-athlete divide, but coming from my perspective as a non-athlete, I think that is made up. If you aren't friends with athletes it is because you choose not to be. So far, Bowdoin has everything I could want. Great professors, beautiful campus, supportive staff, and hardworking kids. There could always be more diversity.
I love the community that is Bowdoin College. The school is full of students who care about their education and about the other members of the community. Athletics is also a great part of the school, encouraging all to get involved if they choose to do so. The food is also great for being away from home. I always feel safe on campus. There is also things to do for students on campus all the time with different activities and things to get involved with.
At Bowdoin, I personally feel that you just need to find a group of people that makes you feel comfortable and happy. Yes, I do recommend mingling and getting to know others outside of your group, but there is a need to have a safe space that you can go back to when needed.
Rising Senior at Bowdoin. I love it. It's been welcoming and engaging from the start, and I've only grown more attached to the place since then.

The quality of life is very high, and the academics are mostly excellent.
Start Your Review of Bowdoin College
Bowdoin College is extremely welcoming to all its prospective and incoming students. The culture that Bowdoin’s administration, faculty, students and clubs have created is one that makes students feel at home and confident in themselves and their capacity to learn. Located in the town of Brunswick, ME, it is close to the ocean, hiking trails, shopping (Freeport), and cute coffee shops. Bowdoin is such an amazing place to learn, grow and thrive alongside so many other passionate individuals.
Academics are top notch; friendly and welcoming student body; tight-knit campus community; and there are always a variety of events happening on campus at any time.
However, it’s possible to feel socially isolated at times because the student body is so small and located in a small town in Maine with fewer opportunities and amenities than in bigger cities.
I've just finished my first year, and to be truthful, I hated it. The first-year deans were horrible and unsupportive. Bowdoin likes to lure students into the college by making false promises and insisting they will "take good care of you". If I could go back on my decision to commit here, I would. However, the academics and my professors have been challenging but amazing, and they're the only reason why I'm still at Bowdoin.