Boston University Reviews

3,167 reviews
Overall Boston University is a very esteemed institution. It definitely has diversity covered. When I walk around campus you see so many different types of people although some majors might not have diversity present. The classes at BU are challenging yet manageable. Their library is strategically attached to the food court which is amazing. I fell apart of the BU community and that is a lot coming from someone who is a part of a graduate degree program.
If you can afford it and like the Boston area, then you might like BU. The University has a lot of great professors and I was surrounded by intelligent people. Regardless, I am shocked to see how well BU scores on niche. I attended up through sophomore year, and never met anyone who was thrilled about being there. The lack of campus is isolating, and you can walk from one end to the next without seeing anyone you know.

Boston University is VERY expensive, and the city of Boston is, too. I was in the worst and cheapest dorm on campus, Warren Towers, and I was paying 9k per semester. Don't expect any help from the FinAid office if you can't pay.

On top of that, grade deflation is real for STEM classes. My freshman calc class had 90% of students getting Cs. Because of this, it is extremely hard to transfer out of BU to a comparable or better school. I sincerely wish I had never, ever attended this school. Please, don't do this to yourself.

Food is great tho
BU has been a place where I have found endless opportunities to grow and challenge myself. The classes are difficult, but that level of difficulty prepares you to stand out later on during internship and job searches. The study abroad program is strong, and I enjoyed a semester in Madrid living with a host family and interning with an occupational therapist in a public school there. There are plenty of student organizations on campus, and most find supportive friend groups through them. The professors are typically extremely knowledgable, and while they have high expectations, they are willing to help BU students succeed. If extra help is needed, there are tutoring and editing sessions available through various on-campus resources. The only downside of BU is the price: it is very high and I would not have been able to attend without my scholarship. There are many scholarship opportunities that you can apply for during undergrad, which were very helpful for me.
Start Your Review of Boston University
There are plenty of academic options. Classes are interesting, professors are good, schedules are not too demanding as long as you're not pre-med, chem, or engineering. Expensive school in pretty much every aspect but you're going to a great school so I'd say it's worth it. There are parties every weekend. Greek life can be big if you're a part of it or small if you aren't, that's up to you. Food is good in West and Bay State. The freshmen dorms are pretty shitty but nothing worse than at any other college. Housing gets much better as you become a sophomore and so on. Hockey games are our football games. Academic advisors, student health services, tutoring services, and other like-services are helpful if you choose to use them. Love that it's so diverse and international. Countless clubs and activities make student life great. Plenty of study abroad options too!
Great people, very diverse, and great facilities and services. I would like to see the financial aid office become more accessible (maybe implement casual walk-ins, do FAFSA help, etc.) The financial aid process everywhere can be daunting, so they could go the extra mile to help whoever needs it.
Great school! Definitely a nice location in Boston. It's a school with rigorous courses and instructors that care about your success. They have strong business program and offer start-up supports to people like me who are majoring in computer science.
-diverse & challenging academics
-pretty diverse student body
-centers for support (career/health/mentoring etc)
-good ranking
-good professors
-good dining
-good location
-research & job opportunities
I am loving my time here, however because it is such a big school it feels like it is hard to establish any sense of individuality. However, if you make the effort to talk to professors, if you reach out and join clubs, if you have a friendly smile on your face, it is possible. You get out what you put in.
I am a student in Questrom School of Business majoring in Business Administration and Management. I liked the campus and student life. I would definitely change the air-conditioning in some of the dorms. Also, the food is great but kind of repetitive. So far the experience has been great!
I enjoy seeing different races from the school and at Boston University you find a lot of diversity. The class size and professors communicate well with each other due to class size. Boston University is a great school to explore what you want to do and what you are taking time to figure out.
Overall, I have very much enjoyed my time so far at BU. All of the professors I've had have been very knowledgeable in their respective fields and have all been very approachable for office hours or scheduling appointments for extra help. The campus is beautiful and is kept very clean and safe by the hard working utilities employees as well. However, the university lacks in socioeconomic diversity, as well as any racial diversity beyond white students and very wealthy students from China.
Just moved in for freshman year at the beginning of freshman year. Quad in Warren Towers has exceed expectations. Marciano Dining Commons is excellent. Classes are rigorous and there's always something going on around campus.
The academics here are wonderful, rigorous, and thought-provoking. The curriculum allows for students to try new things and still focus on their area(s) of study. The campus, while large and sometimes confusing, is beautiful and the area is lively and fun. Not only are you a college student at Boston University, you are a member of the Boston community.
Love BU best experience! All the best parts of a medium city school. Great school spirit and great people.
It is an amazingly diverse campus with tons of opportunities and communities. You will always find a group of people with your interests. Its academics are rigorous but there is so much help offered by professors and teaching assistants. It is definitely a big university and so I advice prospective students to ensure that you can handle the constant presence of thousands of students.
Boston University is an excellent school that has high expectations of its students. Despite the large size of the school, there are still plenty of opportunities to develop personal relationships with members of your class and the faculty. This school has an incredible reputation and does not disappoint. I feel like I'm truly learning from the best of the best in my field of study.
BU offers not only academics, but also health, resources, and extracurricular programming. There is ALWAYS something for you to be doing/an event to be attending on campus.
In terms of diversity, many international students fall under the same race. Of course the difference in cultures is large and beautiful. However, at face value it may not look like it. The types of students coming in from the U.S. are also not as diverse as I would like. Hispanic/Latino and Black/African-American students are often underrepresented in the classroom and on campus. The students in a classroom will likely come from White and East Asian backgrounds. Which is not bad in any way. It would just be nicer to see more diversity on campus.
The campus will take some exploring. DO NOT walk down Commonwealth avenue and think you have seen everything. You have likely only seen half of it. Explore your surroundings. Boston has a lot to see and many cultures/vibes/citizens inhabit the city.
Start Your Review of Boston University
I have enjoyed my experiences at BU. The academics are challenging but doable . As a student Athlete I have so much support from the athletic department in terms of academics. I don't know if I would have gotten through it with out their help. The professors are mostly kind and understanding. They are willing to develop relationships and help you in any way they can. The university does an amazing job at trying o set their students up for success after graduation. Their are people to help you with resumes, finding internship, asking for letters of recommendation; anything you need. I do wish I had seen more diversity in terms of the black population of the school o really had to search to find our student groups.
I liked how easy it was to find your way around and try new things, I was always immersed in new people and experiences. It is easy to navigate within the city, and everyone on campus is friendly and excited about being there.
There’s a lot of diversity and the campus is amazing, and full of welcoming students and brilliant faculty. However, class sizes can sometimes be overwhelming, with lectures having over 150 students.