Black Hills State University is ...
NCAA Division II (with football)
Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference
High School GPA
Early Decision/Early Action
Average cost after financial aid for students receiving grant or scholarship aid, as reported by the college.
Student Loan Options from Lenders
- 1% Cash Back + affordable rates starting at 3.82% APR w/auto debit discount
- No application, origination or disbursement fees
- Simple, straightforward student loans with an easy application
- Flexible repayment options, and strong borrower protections
- Apply online in just 3 minutes
- No origination, application and processing fees, no fees for early repayment
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.39 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.43 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.43 responses
Most Popular Majors
Business Administration and Management76 Graduates
Elementary Education71 Graduates
Liberal Arts and Humanities44 Graduates
Sport and Fitness Management38 Graduates
Industrial Production Technician19 Graduates
Community Organization and Advocacy18 Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
What one word or phrase best describes the typical student at this school?
Based on 32 responsesReport
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say they don't have Greek life.47 responses
- of students say varsity sports are a big part of campus life.52 responses
Median Earnings 6 Years After Graduation
Employed 2 Years After Graduation
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation.28 responses
Black Hills State University Reviews
I love BHSU, and Spearfish is such a beautiful place to live. My experience here has been good overall. The food in the cafeteria certainly isn't the greatest, but it's not the worst either. The professors are all very friendly and one-on-one. They are always willing to help whenever you need it. The campus isn't very big, which is something that I like. I came from a small high school so attending a small college made it easier to adjust. Everyone here is very friendly and I get really positive vibes from being here!
I am going to be enrolled at BHSU next fall. I found out about the University when researching colleges in mountainous areas of the US; I am a huge fan of rocky areas with beautiful scenery. I was recruited to play basketball, and this opportunity allowed me to visit the campus a few times. I met some staff members and they all came off as wonderful people with a passion for success. The facilities are top notch, too. I visited quite a few places, and none compared to BHSU. To top it off, there is no such thing as a boring day in the Black Hills. A 5 minute walk puts you in the midst of the canyon. I love it out in Spearfish!
I transferred to BHSU from SDSU, and it is a WAY better fit for me! The classes are manageable sizes and the professors are amazing! If I ever had a question or concern they were always willing to help me on the spot or offer a better time to work out the problem. The campus nicely laid out and classes and rooms are easy to find.