Black Hawk College Reviews

If you're from the area it's just like high school all over again; everyone knows everyone. Decent school, sometimes it's hot as hell but not a bad school overall. Most teachers are excellent and it's a more economical choice than going to a 4 year uni straight after high school. The advisors are terrible though. Don't listen to them if you don't have to, just go to your transfer college or find the degree plan for your major and you'll do yourself a huge favor and not waste anytime.
My experience at BHC so far is great, I have meet many new life long friends and have learned a lot in the automotive classes that I am taking so I can receive my AAS in Automotive technology. The small campus and class sizes remind me a lot about my high school so it is easy to get to know the people you see every day such as class mates and teachers. the student life is very laid back and the people on the campus make you feel welcome every day when you go to your classes. As for the food on campus, it is very reasonably priced and is just a good as a restaurant would be.
After reveiwing the overall completion rates for graduation. THis is a community college for a vast amount of students in our communities and cities.
The graduation rate is approximately 20%, which is a very low rate for the expense students and parents pay for schooling.
Review Black Hawk College
I AM CURRENTLY A SOPHOMORE AT BLACK HAWK COLLEGE, AND I THINK BLACK HAWK COLLEGE WAS A GOOD CHOICE FOR ME WHEN I GOT RIGHT OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL. I LIVE IN THE SAME TOWN, AND HAVE ALL MY LIFE SO IT TAKES LITERALLY TEN MINUTES TO DRIVE TO THE EAST CAMPUS. MY TEACHERS ARE AWESOME, AND LOVE WHAT THEY DO AND IF I EVER NEEDED HELP THEY WOULD BE GLAD TO HELP. THE CAFETERIA ONLY HAS TWO VENDORS, HAPPY JOE'S AND A LOCAL BAR RESTAURANT CALLED CERNO'S. THEY HAVE GOOD FOOD THOUGH, BUT IT IS DEFINITELY LESS OPTIONS THAN OTHER SCHOOLS IN ILLINOIS. THE TUITION IS CHEAP, AND THE QUALITY OF THE EDUCATION IS GOOD. OUR AG PROGRAM IS REALLY GOOD, PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY COME FOR OUR AG PROGRAM. AG BUSINESSES VALUE THE BLACK HAWK COLLEGE AG ALUM. OVERALL, I WOULD RATE MY EXPERIENCE AS A FOUR AND A HALF STAR RATING OUT OF FIVE.
Best of both worlds! I've been to a community college and a university in the past, and black hawk college is great when it comes to small numbers in the classroom so there is a lot of one on one time with the professors, and also big enough to get involved in groups and making friends. I'll recommend this college to anyone.
One thing I liked was that the people inside were friendly. When I went to take my compass test, they gave people enough time to come in. My time over the phone wasn't pleasant. The lady I talked to for compass testing was really rude, I did not get her name. Eventually I called back and spoke to someone more kindly. The career service office was really helpful, three ladies helped me with my resume and to apply to jobs on campus. One of the women reviewed my resume to approve it could be showed when I applied to jobs.
were friendly about helping me with anything
serious about students and their books
People in the bookstore are very friendly, also the whole school.
The career center is good, but the alumni network is weak. It really doesn't mean anything.
I never spoke with my professor, but with how the course was set up, I didn't need to. I completed material, submitted it, and was graded on my work. The registration process was the same as for a traditional class. I had no peer-to-peer interaction.
I had multiple classes cancelled after the registration date had passed. Classes were available at all hours, but there weren't often multiple sections of classes past 101.
Most professors are passionate about their subject matter. Class size is small to medium. I never took a class with more than 25 students. Courses were not always up to date.
Employers don't often recruit on campus, but the career services center is available for a lot of networking and outreach needs.
offered a lot of sections of 101 classes but other higher level classes usually only have 1 or 2 sections.
waste of time and money if you actually want to learn anything, good for bolstering credit hours only.
student services are good, the advisors for regular students are crap but Trio and career service advisors are awesome.
Review Black Hawk College
Good for a community college, small classes and courses in sciences are very much equivalent to the kind of level you'd experience at a university level only you're not with a thousand other students and being taught by TAs.
The school itself is great as are the teachers, however the administration is selfish and money grubbing, and not professionally handling the budget crisis going on in the state. Tuition was raised this year however the admin salaries were also raised despite the budget crisis? Suspicious, know whats going on at your school. Club life is pretty good for a community college if you're willing to get involved
I work third shift, and I was easily able to schedule around my work days.