COVID-19 Update for Prospective Students and Families:
The Bates Office of Admission wishes all those affected by recent natural disasters and extenuating circumstances — including the COVID-19 public health situation, strikes, hurricanes, earthquakes, flooding, and wildfires — a quick and safe recovery as you return to school and work. Learn More
- Party SceneB
- Campus FoodA+
- Student LifeA-
From its inception in 1855, Bates has recruited students without regard to race, religion, national origin, or sex. Our founders firmly believed, as we do today, that not only should a Bates education be open to all, but that it is bettered by this openness. Diversity and inclusion — of thought, background, and experience — isn't optional or aspirational here. It's vital.
We have tough conversations in tough climates because that's what makes Bates, and our students, better. It's what makes Bates a college for the coming times and a college that prepares you for the coming times, too.
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.16 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.30 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.30 responses
With a strong belief in the value of communal learning and creative exploration, the Bates neuroscience program provides students with a deep understanding of the relationship between the nervous system and human behavior. Students gain powerful insights into the historical, political, and ethical implications of this rapidly developing field — apt preparation for a variety of rewarding careers.
- of students say they don't have Greek life.31 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life.37 responses
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation.14 responses