COVID-19 Update for Prospective Students and Families:
The Bates Office of Admission wishes all those affected by recent natural disasters and extenuating circumstances — including the COVID-19 public health situation, strikes, hurricanes, earthquakes, flooding, and wildfires — a quick and safe recovery as you return to school and work. Learn More
- Party SceneB
- Campus FoodA+
- Student LifeA-
From its inception in 1855, Bates has recruited students without regard to race, religion, national origin, or sex. Our founders firmly believed, as we do today, that not only should a Bates education be open to all, but that it is bettered by this openness. Diversity and inclusion — of thought, background, and experience — isn't optional or aspirational here. It's vital.
We have tough conversations in tough climates because that's what makes Bates, and our students, better. It's what makes Bates a college for the coming times and a college that prepares you for the coming times, too.
Bates College Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.16 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.30 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.30 responses
With a strong belief in the value of communal learning and creative exploration, the Bates neuroscience program provides students with a deep understanding of the relationship between the nervous system and human behavior. Students gain powerful insights into the historical, political, and ethical implications of this rapidly developing field — apt preparation for a variety of rewarding careers.
- of students say they don't have Greek life.31 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life.37 responses
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation.14 responses