Barnard College Reviews

I got a great education at Barnard and also great advising and support. Also a wonderful location in the city. Small classes. Nurturing community.
I loved it! The first year curriculum gives a lot of flexibility and opens freshmen up to a wide variety of lessons. You learn to think in many different ways through different platforms. Advisors are terrific, you get one the summer before you start your first year, so you really hit the ground running! The small classes with women add to the experience of being in a liberal arts college. The only thing I did not like was the expense. The school is over 70,000 per year and everyone I know did not receive enough aid. Many students had to take out massive loans, work crazy hours, or put their family into debt/ poverty to pay for an education that is supposed to empower women, when it actually hurt a lot of them financially. I think if you can make enough money after graduating then it is definitely worth it. You get a phenomenal education and world class job opportunities.
If you have a learning disability, you are going to have a rough time—Barnard's disability services are awful. They're your adversary instead of your advocates like they're supposed to be, and they either don't understand anxiety or don't care—it's so depressing. It's only marginally better for physically disabled students, but at least they can't deny your condition if you're in a wheelchair. My advice to prospective students who have learning disabilities: Don't go here unless you have an unbreakable psyche, and even then, get ready for the biggest test of your life.
Start Your Review of Barnard College
Amazing school with a strong commitment to improving its students and the community at large. Bold, beautiful, Barnard!
Barnard is the ideal school to study in in New York City. At times it feels frustratingly removed from the fun, active parts of the city, but this makes for a quiet, calming campus to focus on and to return to after a long day. My professors seem to genuinely love the subjects they teach and want to learn about their students. It's a special place.
Exciting fast paced school for the intellectually curious. The relationship with Columbia cannot be understated as the schools are truly connected. Take advantage of the brilliant professors at Barnard and the small class sizes or the offerings at the ivy with challenging lectures and interesting class perspectives.
I love the time I've spent at Barnard. The best thing about this college is the passionate and empowered community. I will always cherish the amazing individuals that I've met throughout my time at this institution because of the way they are continuously inspiring me to make change and work hard and grow and never discount my knowledge or experiences or any one else's knowledge and experiences. Stay bold and beautiful Barnard!
Currently I am a junior, and I enjoy Barnard. I enjoy its location, the ability to take small classes as well as large classes, and I love the diversity of clubs. However, as always, with the good also comes the bad. The school itself is very competitive, faculty isn't supportive, and the campus does a poor job of building community.
I was very excited about Barnard before I began, but not so much afterward. Professors at Barnard are kind enough and do care about their students (depending on who you have). In many ways I do feel like I am not getting money that I put into the school, and the students are quite competitive. I applied to so many on campus jobs (almost 13) and did not hear back from a single one. But it is nice having that quiet campus environment to come back to after a crazy night across the street at Columbia.

Of course that may have just been the experience of being a small, lost and confused freshman that's way in over their heads.
There is no other school like it. It is completely unique as an all women college in a major metropolitan city, with access to an Ivy. Everyone is Barnard genuinely cares and looks out for each other. Ive meet incredible people, who I wouldn't know what to do without. Its nice to have Columbia next door. We get to use their resources, however get to stay in our little community across the street where it is always warm and welcoming. Having Columbia also makes the college experience coed. There is a misconception that all-womens college means no access to guys. A lot of my classes are coed, which is nice. It is such a supportive and incredible school, in the center of the best city in the world.. what more could you ask for?
Barnard's selling point is that it's a place for empowering women, with the resources of a large research university, in the heart of New York. And despite some glaring administrative failings, it lives up to it.
Barnard's relationship with Columbia can be pretty tense, and most Barnard students overcompensate for the fact that they are sometimes treated poorly by Columbia students by being equally as competitive and self-serving as the average Columbia student, and, as a result, equally depressed. The culture is enormously stressful, the student body is not at all economically diverse, and the school is lonely, with no long-lasting effort by administration to change this fact besides the occasional, poorly-attended on-campus event. It's a city school, so there's not a ton of campus community, and not a lot of on-campus parties (some at Columbia, none at all at Barnard). Dorms are really, really bad (except for the one newer one). Academics are amazing and professors care deeply about individual students, but the negative campus culture is pervasive and can affect an experience in lots of minute ways. And fair warning: whatever you don't like about Columbia WILL be prevalent at Barnard too.
So far, I am enjoying my experience at Barnard. At times it can feel lonely, but when I look around and see the bold, brilliant, Barnard women around me.. I feel inspired. The financial diversity is rather low however the access to Columbia's Libraries, Athletics, and Campus is unbeatable. It is the best of both worlds. A small liberal arts college connected to a large research University. The Barnard professors are hands-on and very accessible. I admire the small classroom sizes and the focus on seminars. The campus is beautiful, however there is major construction at the moment. The areas that could be improved are the dorms and the safety of women on campus.
I'm a transfer, and after a year at a school I despised, Barnard saved me. The people here are so kind and giving but also incredibly diverse, intelligent, and overall delightful. I could not ask for more out of my college experience (except maybe easier classes!).
Barnard is a small, liberal arts, all female college, located in New York City as part of the larger network of Columbia University. As such, students receive access to the services of a larger University while still getting the more personal attention that can make a difference in a student's education.
AMAZING school! You get best of both worlds: small, women's liberal arts college with all the resources and facilities of a large, co-ed, Ivy-League university. Plus, you get to live in NYC. You get a campus feel since it is on the Upper West Side ( residential area).

Barnard women get degrees from Columbia University, graduate at Columbia University graduation, take classes at CU and join CU clubs/sororities/sports/ societies. Barnard women can also eat at Columbia dining halls, study in all 22 CU libraries, and use the same academic buildings. Columbia students take classes at Barnard and use Barnard libraries/cafeterias/buildings. It's a great campus environment.

BTW, acceptance rate is 14.8% now (on Niche it still has a very old acceptance rate). Gets more competitive with each year as more people learn about it.
I like the genuine, motivated, supportive atmosphere at Barnard. The students here are very likely to become successful in life because their professors are of the best quality. The amount of opportunities, especially being in Manhattan, are enormous. Overall, high quality education. One of a kind.
Start Your Review of Barnard College
There is a great environment at Barnard! The community is so supportive and they really stand up for what they believe in. The students and staff are some of the kindest people I have ever met. It's a great place to go to school.
Barnard is an amazing place for young women to learn and grow within a diverse and empowered community of other women. The resources available are endless since Barnard is a part of Columbia University--a huge research university.
I feel strongly about Barnard. It is a wonderful place to be. I love my classmates and professors. My experiences with the administration have been generally poor. My time here has been rewarding, surprising, and engaging.