Barnard College Reviews

great school academically, filled with great people. community sense is strong and everyone is very welcoming. living in New York city is an incredible experience. campus is realIy cozy and beautiful, the place feels like home.
I LOVE IT!!!!
Barnard is such an incredible school--as soon as I stepped onto the campus, I knew it was exactly where I wanted to be. The fact that I will graduate with a diploma from an Ivy League is a bonus, but I chose Barnard because it is Barnard, not because it is Columbia. The women I’ve met here are absolutely incredible: their passion, independence, and intellect are inspiring.
Barnard is NOT the backdoor into the Ivy league. Barnard students choose Barnard because it can offer us things we value that Columbia College cannot. Barnard is not a second choice, it is a first choice in and of itself. Of course, having Columbia resources is a plus, and Barnard benefits greatly from them, but Barnard's merit comes from its unique mission to further women's education. I find myself spending most of my time at Barnard (not only because the new library is literally heaven) but because the smaller scale, friendly employees, and cozy feel keep me here.
It's an amazing school academically but the stress culture gave me the first panic attack of my life within literally three weeks of classes.
Start Your Review of Barnard College
I wish there was better food. The party scene is okay and you have to be connected. The professors are pretty good although they could be better. The food around the area is good especially Sweetgreen and shake shack.
The freshman year dorms are mostly terrible, many students had heat stroke last week and needed to be hospitalized because Barnard doesn't provide AC to 75% of students. The food is alright, but you have access to Columbia dining halls which are MUCH better. The thing that makes Barnard great, and why I am still here is because of the opportunities it has allowed me. Being in NYC and getting a world class education with tons of resources cannot be found anywhere else.
I love that we are in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the world, offering endless opportunities that are hard to find in other schools. I think going to school at Barnard positions you very uniquely as you are forced to grow up quickly because you are already living on your own in NYC, yet you are still able to learn and take your time becoming an adult and experiencing college.
Barnard is a very supportive community that uplifts and challenges you academically. In addition, you gain skills that allow you to navigate life and Barnard pushes you to feel uncomfortable which overall transforms you. Something that would be improved at Barnard is the diversity while it has gotten better majority of the population is upper class and white. Barnard could add more dorms to avoid crowded and cramped rooms.
Barnard is iconic. You get every opportunity afforded to you by Columbia across the street, as well as the experience of a close-knit community of like-minded Barnard students. The city is an amazing place to learn and grow both as a student and a young-adult on the cusp of entering the real world. I'm so sad my time at Barnard is coming to a close, but it has truly prepared me for life beyond college.
Absolutely an amazing place. Small liberal arts college with supportive, outstanding community of women within a large Ivy League University, in the greatest city in the world. Didn't intend/expect to go here (i applied last minute on the application due date as a "why not" sort of application after being told to apply by my high school teacher) and I can't imagine myself anywhere else. Incredibly faculty, student body, and endless amount of resources.
Barnard College is an amazing institution. If you want to live in New York City but still have a campus, this is the place for you. I love being able to walk a few blocks away from school and feel like I'm immersed in the bustle of NYC - while still having a quiet, beautiful campus to escape to.
The English department has incredibly intelligent, dedicated professors.
However - this is not the easiest school if, like me, you have a difficult time obtaining financial aid. Juggling classes, multiple jobs, and multiple extracurriculars can be difficult - but this is a high intensity school in a high intensity city.
I love women's college though! I've learned so much from the incredible women I go to school with.
I got a great education at Barnard and also great advising and support. Also a wonderful location in the city. Small classes. Nurturing community.
I loved it! The first year curriculum gives a lot of flexibility and opens freshmen up to a wide variety of lessons. You learn to think in many different ways through different platforms. Advisors are terrific, you get one the summer before you start your first year, so you really hit the ground running! The small classes with women add to the experience of being in a liberal arts college. The only thing I did not like was the expense. The school is over 70,000 per year and everyone I know did not receive enough aid. Many students had to take out massive loans, work crazy hours, or put their family into debt/ poverty to pay for an education that is supposed to empower women, when it actually hurt a lot of them financially. I think if you can make enough money after graduating then it is definitely worth it. You get a phenomenal education and world class job opportunities.
If you have a learning disability, you are going to have a rough time—Barnard's disability services are awful. They're your adversary instead of your advocates like they're supposed to be, and they either don't understand anxiety or don't care—it's so depressing. It's only marginally better for physically disabled students, but at least they can't deny your condition if you're in a wheelchair. My advice to prospective students who have learning disabilities: Don't go here unless you have an unbreakable psyche, and even then, get ready for the biggest test of your life.
Amazing school with a strong commitment to improving its students and the community at large. Bold, beautiful, Barnard!
Barnard is the ideal school to study in in New York City. At times it feels frustratingly removed from the fun, active parts of the city, but this makes for a quiet, calming campus to focus on and to return to after a long day. My professors seem to genuinely love the subjects they teach and want to learn about their students. It's a special place.
Exciting fast paced school for the intellectually curious. The relationship with Columbia cannot be understated as the schools are truly connected. Take advantage of the brilliant professors at Barnard and the small class sizes or the offerings at the ivy with challenging lectures and interesting class perspectives.
I love the time I've spent at Barnard. The best thing about this college is the passionate and empowered community. I will always cherish the amazing individuals that I've met throughout my time at this institution because of the way they are continuously inspiring me to make change and work hard and grow and never discount my knowledge or experiences or any one else's knowledge and experiences. Stay bold and beautiful Barnard!
Start Your Review of Barnard College
Currently I am a junior, and I enjoy Barnard. I enjoy its location, the ability to take small classes as well as large classes, and I love the diversity of clubs. However, as always, with the good also comes the bad. The school itself is very competitive, faculty isn't supportive, and the campus does a poor job of building community.
I was very excited about Barnard before I began, but not so much afterward. Professors at Barnard are kind enough and do care about their students (depending on who you have). In many ways I do feel like I am not getting money that I put into the school, and the students are quite competitive. I applied to so many on campus jobs (almost 13) and did not hear back from a single one. But it is nice having that quiet campus environment to come back to after a crazy night across the street at Columbia.

Of course that may have just been the experience of being a small, lost and confused freshman that's way in over their heads.
There is no other school like it. It is completely unique as an all women college in a major metropolitan city, with access to an Ivy. Everyone is Barnard genuinely cares and looks out for each other. Ive meet incredible people, who I wouldn't know what to do without. Its nice to have Columbia next door. We get to use their resources, however get to stay in our little community across the street where it is always warm and welcoming. Having Columbia also makes the college experience coed. There is a misconception that all-womens college means no access to guys. A lot of my classes are coed, which is nice. It is such a supportive and incredible school, in the center of the best city in the world.. what more could you ask for?