Bard College Reviews

Most of the negative reviews on here are from athletes or people who are unsatisfied with the living arrangments. I hated the dorm I was placed in freshman year, and I was a member of the cross country team, but I still made plenty of friends/pleasant memories. It's ridiculous to rate an entire institution badly for one aspect. I've learned and grown so much at Bard. I often feel connected to my professors (who are usually extremely accomplished/connected/intelligent). Bard offers AMAZING abroad opportunities. I've lived in Costa Rica and Nicaragua through abroad programs and clubs through Bard. You'll academically work hard here, but it's absolutely worth it. Bard is also very generous with financial aid. The people here can be fascinating if you're willing to engage with them. As with anything else in life, the experience is what you make of it. I'm extremely grateful that I was able to go here.
Full of angsty teenage liberal snowflakes who can’t get over the fact that the world is full of diversity and not a bubble of single-sided thought.
Bard is a great place academically, but besides that there isn’t much else going for it. The dorms are in a state of disarray as my ceiling leaks and have had several incidents with rodents. Social life is practically nonexistent. As an athlete, there are occasional events, but always off campus. Everyone here is unable to get over their self-depreciated selves. One word to describe the student body would be eccentric. If you’re into alt-left liberal views, inhaling hazes of cigarette smoke 24/7 and homeless looking hipsters then this is the place to be. But if you’re any bit remotely mainstream or part of a varsity sport you’re looked down upon and judged. Looking back I would’ve done a complete 360 degree turn around and have re-evaluated my options before attending this institution.
The education at this institution is amazing, it really pushes students to think for themselves and introduces them to texts that they otherwise may have never been introduced to.
Start Your Review of Bard College
Bard is a great school with fantastic faculty, beautiful campus, proximity to NYC, lots of special academic, cultural, civic and artistic programs, and is an institution that does much in the service of the underserved all across the nation and the world.
Bard College is a weird place; this will never change nor should it. 95% of the students are outsiders in some capacity, whether they were outsiders in High School or totally in society. This is what makes Bard weird and wonderful, but it is the also what makes Bard terrible because most students cannot accept this about themselves. A large amount will recreate how they were treated in high school: they will create cliques and shun people not in their clique. They will be attentive on a social hierarchy and make fun of everyone outside it. The absolute worst worst thing about Bard is- because these students are outsiders and used to the world being cold to them- will be aggressively cold to everyone else. Try walking through campus and making eye contact/smiling with everyone you see. One in 50 will smile back. They can't let go of the coldness the world has given them. Some do, and you will find these to be the most mature students on campus.
Academically challenging and amazing. Professors know exactly what they are talking about and lead class in socratic seminar style, no lecturing at you.
Bard is a unique place to learn. It taught me not only facts, but how to think and obtain knowledge. With the diverse range of clubs and activities, I never felt bored.
Bard has a very politically active community, which helps everyone in educating what is right. It is also a very supporting community for PoC.
Excellent environment if you don't mind being in the middle of the woods. People are very typical rich-hipster stereotype. The food is terrible and the dorms haven't been renovated in years. The academics and the abroad programs are what make Bard worth going.
A great liberal arts college.

Great programs in every department.
While I don't think Bard is a bad school, it's definitely one that will not be a good fit for everyone. All the professors I had were amazing for the most part and were always willing to meet with students, sometimes even on their own time. That being said, a lot of programs suffer simply because there are not enough students, and depending on your major you can literally run out of advanced classes to take.There is little transportation and very few places to go if you don't own a car, and the isolation gets to a lot of people fast. Facilities range from fine to abysmal, some dorms literally have rotting ceilings and rodent infestations. There is barely anything to do on campus and truthfully, a lot of students are extremely clique-y. There is a lot of drug use on campus (probably because there is nothing to do) and it plays a big part in the social scenes.

I don't regret going to Bard, but considering the price I was paying for what I got, I was definitely not impressed.
Bard College is a beautiful, quirky liberal arts school. It emphasizes uniqueness in person and once you get used to the vibe it's a wonderful place to study and grow as a person. You easily feel comfortable with yourself here, and people appreciate that. The academics are wonderful, often approaching subjects in ways that help you think about them differently. There's an emphasis on keeping class sizes small because Bard really emphasizes discussion based learning. Not only will you learn to articulate your thoughts clearly, you'll also learn how to write them. The professors are friendly and easy to talk to. The social scene is different, for sure, but if you get used to it it can be really incredible. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else for my undergraduate studies.
Bard is a very unique place and it opens your eyes to so many interesting and awesome people. Glad that I gave Bard a chance. I made awesome friends and received a great education.
Bard is an incredibly underrated school for truly gifted and diverse students. With a burgeoning sports program and international focus, it is sure to rise as one of the top liberal arts universities in the U.S.
Bard's a great college where you can create your own experience. There are tons of stuff always going on, on campus. However, the one really bad thing about Bard is that they are awful about communicating events. Everything is passed from word of mouth, which can be unreliable.
The focus seems to be far more on safety of students than on enforcing laws, which makes it a lot easier to students in trouble to ask for help. There are several student run organizations that work to help anyone who needs a ride back to campus, and the physicians on campus acknowledge that drug use is common and focus on making a practical difference when it comes to students' health.
As an athlete who is mostly in it to develop my own skills rather than win against other colleges, I love Bard athletics. There is zero school spirit, though, so don't expect to come here and have the whole school rally behind sports teams. The atmosphere is far more inclusive and the focus of athletics is more on improving than on winning, which I appreciate. However, if you're extremely serious about athletics, this probably isn't the school for you.
Start Your Review of Bard College
I have enjoyed my school quite a bit. The main drawbacks are the location and the size of the department. It's almost impossible to get off campus without a car, and this can make things like shopping or attending local events in the neighboring towns difficult. It often gets very isolating to be stuck on campus all of the time. My professors are incredible, and I appreciate that I've been able to develop a good relationship with them due to the small class sizes. However, because my major has so few people in it, there is a serious lack of higher level classes. After interacting with other students in my major from different schools, it seems to me that most of them have a much more extensive preparation simply due to the fact that they're able to get higher level courses more regularly than we do, so that is something to keep in mind when choosing Bard.
sets kids up for success
I wish we could have single rooms