Bard College Reviews

Bard College is a weird place; this will never change nor should it. 95% of the students are outsiders in some capacity, whether they were outsiders in High School or totally in society. This is what makes Bard weird and wonderful, but it is the also what makes Bard terrible because most students cannot accept this about themselves. A large amount will recreate how they were treated in high school: they will create cliques and shun people not in their clique. They will be attentive on a social hierarchy and make fun of everyone outside it. The absolute worst worst thing about Bard is- because these students are outsiders and used to the world being cold to them- will be aggressively cold to everyone else. Try walking through campus and making eye contact/smiling with everyone you see. One in 50 will smile back. They can't let go of the coldness the world has given them. Some do, and you will find these to be the most mature students on campus.
Academically challenging and amazing. Professors know exactly what they are talking about and lead class in socratic seminar style, no lecturing at you.
Bard is a unique place to learn. It taught me not only facts, but how to think and obtain knowledge. With the diverse range of clubs and activities, I never felt bored.
Start Your Review of Bard College
Bard has a very politically active community, which helps everyone in educating what is right. It is also a very supporting community for PoC.
Excellent environment if you don't mind being in the middle of the woods. People are very typical rich-hipster stereotype. The food is terrible and the dorms haven't been renovated in years. The academics and the abroad programs are what make Bard worth going.
A great liberal arts college.

Great programs in every department.
While I don't think Bard is a bad school, it's definitely one that will not be a good fit for everyone. All the professors I had were amazing for the most part and were always willing to meet with students, sometimes even on their own time. That being said, a lot of programs suffer simply because there are not enough students, and depending on your major you can literally run out of advanced classes to take.There is little transportation and very few places to go if you don't own a car, and the isolation gets to a lot of people fast. Facilities range from fine to abysmal, some dorms literally have rotting ceilings and rodent infestations. There is barely anything to do on campus and truthfully, a lot of students are extremely clique-y. There is a lot of drug use on campus (probably because there is nothing to do) and it plays a big part in the social scenes.

I don't regret going to Bard, but considering the price I was paying for what I got, I was definitely not impressed.
Bard College is a beautiful, quirky liberal arts school. It emphasizes uniqueness in person and once you get used to the vibe it's a wonderful place to study and grow as a person. You easily feel comfortable with yourself here, and people appreciate that. The academics are wonderful, often approaching subjects in ways that help you think about them differently. There's an emphasis on keeping class sizes small because Bard really emphasizes discussion based learning. Not only will you learn to articulate your thoughts clearly, you'll also learn how to write them. The professors are friendly and easy to talk to. The social scene is different, for sure, but if you get used to it it can be really incredible. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else for my undergraduate studies.
Bard is a very unique place and it opens your eyes to so many interesting and awesome people. Glad that I gave Bard a chance. I made awesome friends and received a great education.
Bard is an incredibly underrated school for truly gifted and diverse students. With a burgeoning sports program and international focus, it is sure to rise as one of the top liberal arts universities in the U.S.
Bard's a great college where you can create your own experience. There are tons of stuff always going on, on campus. However, the one really bad thing about Bard is that they are awful about communicating events. Everything is passed from word of mouth, which can be unreliable.
The focus seems to be far more on safety of students than on enforcing laws, which makes it a lot easier to students in trouble to ask for help. There are several student run organizations that work to help anyone who needs a ride back to campus, and the physicians on campus acknowledge that drug use is common and focus on making a practical difference when it comes to students' health.
As an athlete who is mostly in it to develop my own skills rather than win against other colleges, I love Bard athletics. There is zero school spirit, though, so don't expect to come here and have the whole school rally behind sports teams. The atmosphere is far more inclusive and the focus of athletics is more on improving than on winning, which I appreciate. However, if you're extremely serious about athletics, this probably isn't the school for you.
I have enjoyed my school quite a bit. The main drawbacks are the location and the size of the department. It's almost impossible to get off campus without a car, and this can make things like shopping or attending local events in the neighboring towns difficult. It often gets very isolating to be stuck on campus all of the time. My professors are incredible, and I appreciate that I've been able to develop a good relationship with them due to the small class sizes. However, because my major has so few people in it, there is a serious lack of higher level classes. After interacting with other students in my major from different schools, it seems to me that most of them have a much more extensive preparation simply due to the fact that they're able to get higher level courses more regularly than we do, so that is something to keep in mind when choosing Bard.
sets kids up for success
I wish we could have single rooms
I'm an athlete and I'm very excited about the program
Start Your Review of Bard College
Second-Tier Ivy. Excellent Academic Education
There is too much variation in housing. I lived in a brand new dorm, with a clean bathroom practically to myself my freshman year, but I walked like half a mile to class, while some students lived in rooms where the ceilings collapsed from burst sewage pipes, and students in the new toasters lived like 100 feet from everything on campus in clean and spacious rooms.
I gave this rating because the gym is nice. Weight room is often empty, equipment is good, and there's a nice pool. It's a great gym for a small school. As for like spectator sports, that's not something Bard is well known for. Supposedly 40% of my class plays a sport. That being said, people don't go to sports games often; it's just really not part of the school's culture, which I think is a good thing in some ways. I went to a few basketball games and a few lacrosse games last year. I enjoyed myself, but these events will never be the highlights of my college years, like they might be for students at other schools.