Bard College Reviews

Academics are on par with Ivy schools, and if you can translate the critical thinking from the liberal arts it’s very easy to do extremely well in any professional field. However, this school will make your social skills far worse.
Bard is a fantastic college with fascinating classes and amazing professors. However, the campus is pretty decentralized and there isn't a lot of school spirit. This is not the school for someone who is interested in painting their face with school colors and going to football games.
I am at the Holyoke Campus, and I like that it gave a woman like me, in a non-traditional circumstance, a chance to attend college at no cost. I am graduating this month, and and I am continuing on to pursue my Bachelor's degree this fall.
Start Your Review of Bard College
The campus itself is stunning--center of the Hudson Valley, ample access to all things out-doors, and the architecture is a mix of modern and old. Blithewood is a must-see for all visiting students. However, I will say the dorms leave much to be desired as does the spacing of campus. Most students live off campus after sophomore year anyways and living in the crappy dorms becomes somewhat of a bonding experience among students (Hud-Cat for life!)

Diversity is lacking (majority white, upperclass, hipster, liberal students). However, it is possible to find your "niche" on campus beyond the hipster ideal.

Overall, Bard is a great academic institution with a quirky social scene set in the heart of nature. While I had a 5 star experience, I understand that the vibe of this college may not be for everyone, but approaching Bard with an open-mind makes it a great university for the undecided to find their academic passion.
A super underrated liberal arts school! If only they knew about Bard. This college attracts high achieving students with a passion to change their community. The professors are great and really care about their students. Bard is just great.
Very diverse for a pwi. The campus is large despite the school having approximately 2,000 students so having a bike would be ideal.
Bard college is an incredible academic and social environment. The professors are dedicated to creating an open learning environment, meant to create deeper understanding of course materials. The social life of the school is inclusive, always something fun to do around campus.
I am a first year student at Bard College and I definitely feel that the environment on campus allows me to view concepts more objectively. I immerse myself in new experiences and conversations everyday and I am constantly enriching my knowledge. If you are looking to step out of your comfort zone Bard College is definitely the place to be.
Bard is a great place if you love nature, and don't mind the fact that you have to take a shuttle to get to town. I, personally, love the fact that Bard is it's own little town, and despite having to leave little early for class and work (because the campus is so big), I actually appreciate the opportunity to wake myself up with a brisk 10 minute walk to central campus for my class. I think a lot of people don't take this aspect of the college into account when applying, so many people transfer out. I have never actually thought of transferring once here, even with Bard's many faults. I have found great, inspiring, and kind people here and I wouldn't give up meeting them for the world. Bard is my home. I have gone through a lot since applying here, and had to go through many experiences, good and truly horrible, but Bard has given me a chance to grow.
Bard is definitely a very unique place but its super isolating and lonely. A lot of students are not that nice, antisocial, and standoffish. It also can be super cliquey at times with people thinking its cool to act like they're in fifth grade and exclude others. While the emphasis on individuality and academics are amazing, there could be a much friendlier and accepting environment. Some of the most "liberal" people can also be extremely rude, judgemental, and narrow minded.
Bard College has an excellent and rigorous academic program. All of the professors strive to be available and helpful and their wealth of knowledge continues to astound me. The campus itself is beautiful and I've definetly made some life long friends. A lot of students smoke on campus which is one of my least favorite things about the school. You get a lot of second hand smoke by simply going to class.
Bard is a small liberal arts school in Annandale on Hudson. The campus is on the Hudson river, and is surrounded by woods. In the spring, it is a beautiful area, but can be freezing and ugly in the winter. It can be very isolating because there are no towns within walking distance. A shuttle runs between the two nearby towns, Red Hook and Tivoli. The latter has one small store, a bar, and a few restaurants. Classes are usually small, from 25 students down to as little as 3 or 4 as they get more specific. Some professors are great, passionate about teaching, and knowledgeable, and some are lazy and barely teach, requiring students to do presentations for half of the class time.
I loved Bard! In fact, I ended up marrying another Bard grad and most of my best friends are the ones with whom I bonded at the very start of my freshman year. I'm also very involved in alumni events because I miss the school so much. It really is a wonderful college with incredible professors, a beautiful campus (and surrounding area), and a brilliant, creative and unique student body. My sister now goes to Bard and loves it too.
Bard is the ultimate safety school, as most everyone how applies gets in. Once here, you listen to the bottom 1/2 of your class, the ones with money, try to sound intelligent. The dorms are one step above homeless shelters, the food is disgusting, and 90% of the kids are high on drugs 24/7. The school's attitude: the more drugs the better. Some of the teachers are good. Most aren't. I transferred out to one of the little three. Much better.
Bard is an incredible academic institution. Both professors and students alike are brilliant, curious, and creative, and classes are intellectually stimulating.
Small and great college. Elite in its own right and attracts intellectual and artistic types. Benefits from and contributes to New York City culture in art, literature, social science. Bard Fiction Prize annually awards $30,000 and semester-long residence to acclaimed, up-and-coming young novelists. Large, beautiful campus. Eclectic architecture. It's also a college in the service of humanity, as it has satellite programs all over the world, like the Bard Prison Initiative, Bard Early Colleges, and college programs in underserved regions in the world.
Constant schedule of excellent events and speakers. Bard College is a magnet, host, and producer of major forces in art, literature, and music, with strong faculty in every discipline.
Start Your Review of Bard College
My Daughter is a thriving Sophamore at Bard.My daughters classes and professors have been amazing! The Campus and surrounding area is absolutely gorgeous.She has made a lot of wonderful friends, great place to visit too!
Most of the negative reviews on here are from athletes or people who are unsatisfied with the living arrangments. I hated the dorm I was placed in freshman year, and I was a member of the cross country team, but I still made plenty of friends/pleasant memories. It's ridiculous to rate an entire institution badly for one aspect. I've learned and grown so much at Bard. I often feel connected to my professors (who are usually extremely accomplished/connected/intelligent). Bard offers AMAZING abroad opportunities. I've lived in Costa Rica and Nicaragua through abroad programs and clubs through Bard. You'll academically work hard here, but it's absolutely worth it. Bard is also very generous with financial aid. The people here can be fascinating if you're willing to engage with them. As with anything else in life, the experience is what you make of it. I'm extremely grateful that I was able to go here.
Full of angsty teenage liberal snowflakes who can’t get over the fact that the world is full of diversity and not a bubble of single-sided thought.
Bard is a great place academically, but besides that there isn’t much else going for it. The dorms are in a state of disarray as my ceiling leaks and have had several incidents with rodents. Social life is practically nonexistent. As an athlete, there are occasional events, but always off campus. Everyone here is unable to get over their self-depreciated selves. One word to describe the student body would be eccentric. If you’re into alt-left liberal views, inhaling hazes of cigarette smoke 24/7 and homeless looking hipsters then this is the place to be. But if you’re any bit remotely mainstream or part of a varsity sport you’re looked down upon and judged. Looking back I would’ve done a complete 360 degree turn around and have re-evaluated my options before attending this institution.