Bard College at Simon's Rock Reviews

Too expensive for the poor quality of dormitory housing, food options, and peer equity and inclusion. For a 99.99% “liberal” student population, everyone was very accepting of people who were just like them and not any different. I don’t regret getting my Associates degree and transferring out, but I hope all the incoming freshmen know what they’re getting themselves into when choosing to go to Simon’s Rock.
I attended Simon's Rock from 2015-19 and studied pre-med and studio arts (drawing & painting). I don't regret my decision coming to Simon's Rock because the community is truly one-of-a-kind in its openness, progressiveness, and overall concern for students. Everyone, including faculty and staff, is on a first-name basis, and I know of many professors who check in with students during each class and adjust the syllabus or deadlines to accommodate for students needs.
As for academics, the types of assignments, the workload, and class structure will vary depending on the subject. Students have a lot of choice in their courses and because the concentrations tend to only involve 25-30 credits (unless you're pre-med or pre-engineering where its 50+), people often double-concentrate or even triple-concentrate because the space in their schedules allow for it. Overall, if you put the effort in, Simon's Rock provides the resources to facilitate your vision and help you grow intellectually.
Bard College at Simon's Rock is a very unique place. Everyone on campus is open minded about each person as an individual and their identities. Although our school lacks in athletics in the competitive department, there are still competitive sports. Being that it is such a small campus the entire student body know each other to some extent. All the professors here on campus are willing to see you succeed. If you are having trouble the professors will sacrifice time out of their office hours in order to help you. The student life at Simon's Rock is also very unique. You will always find people who are doing something late at night or doing some goofy things during the day. The academics at Simon's Rock is challenging and most students here are motivated academically. You will probably find yourself getting and giving help from your peers.
Start Your Review of Bard College at Simon's Rock
Overall, was good, would not choose again. Cost was prohibitive, upwards of 60k per year. Atmosphere was liberal and leftist, and it was not a welcoming culture to those with differing viewpoints. The quality of education and air could easily be obtained at a rigorous rural school.
I like Simon's Rock for what I did and who I met, not the school itself. This school is what you make of it and I made it good by surrounding myself with talented people and good work. It is a big commitment, especially at 16 and you should take a long time to consider why you want to go, not just why you want to leave high school.
In retrospect, if I were given the choice to go to Simon's Rock or not knowing what I knew after attending for a year, I'd choose to go again. Simon's Rock serves the students who need it, upper-level classes are interesting and everyone can find at least a few professors they really connect with and admire, and leaving is as easy as filling out a transfer application somewhere else. But the administration is poorly run, housing is overfilled, the food is terrible, and the campus feels cramped and claustrophobic, especially considering how hard it is to travel the area without a car. It's hard to rate Simon's Rock, because rather than being "average", it has aspects that are excellent and aspects that are horrible. But it's survivable. And if you can afford it and if you need to leave high school, I'd say it's worth it.
Bard College at Simon's rock gave someone who is nobody like me a chance to show the world what I have to offer.
Though the workload is intense, you definitely learn the material. It is expensive, and some of the dorms aren't as nice as they could be. There are definitely a lot of issues at the school, but if you can handle the work it can be a memorable experience.
Simon's Rock is not only absolutely unique in its early college format, but it offers a completely unique student body and set of academic experiences. It takes a certain type of student to do well here, but having seen a lot of different academic institutions in my years after graduating, nowhere is as honestly invested in its students and its mission as the Rock. I had an incredible time here, formed incredible relationships, and have had an incredible academic and professional career in my years since graduating.
If you really want a place where you can learn and delve deep into your interests than Simon's Rock is a place for you. The academic experience and individualization here is great. As a student who struggles with learning I have found the professors here are very kind and caring and will help you to succeed. I'm not very involved in student activities and events, typically just keep to myself, but there are always events taking place here.
It has been an amazing experience. I have made many friends with very similar interests, and have tried many new things. The teachers are engaging and very interesting, while also being knowledgeable in their fields. This has been the best decision of my life.
There is a lot of debate on whether or not early college is really helpful. While a lot more research is still required for this relatively new concept, I can say from experience that some handle it well while others do not. The college itself has very good professors, and the workload is often described as "rigorous." The student population has increased dramatically in size, making some classes difficult to get in to. The food is mediocre in taste and quality, but they do make significant efforts to accommodate dietary restrictions.
I enjoy the academics and extracurriculars. The sports are small and less competitive, but I enjoyed the fact that they were oriented around team experience as well as winning. I wish there were more classes offered, but it is a small school. The counseling ad health services could be improved, as could the meal plan. Both are good in theory, but fall short when met with over four hundred students.
I've never experienced a community like the one I found at Simon's Rock. The staff and faculty are so nice and friendly and genuinely care about you. The dining hall gives me ingredients to bake with anytime I ask and the provost will often stop and chat with me in the hallway. Professors are enthusiastic about what they are teaching and want to see you succeed--they get to know you and your interests and are always available to meet with you for extra help. The students are also nice more often than not. I think because a lot of people who come here were considered weird or misfits at their high schools (like I was), we really have no tolerance for any sort of social hierarchy or cliques. The academics are great too, but it's the social scene that has really changed my life.
AMAZING! Like everything else in life, it's what you make out of it. The resources to do so are offered here. So, make the best out of it!
I think that the academic experience offered at Simon's Rock, while slightly limited in variety due to the small number of faculty available, is extremely high in quality. The professors who work here are dedicated to their fields and to their students and actively engage the students' minds with relevant and useful assignments.
The academic experience is challenging in general, and serves well the purpose of helping younger students get used to college. There is a warm and socially engaging LGBTQ+ community on campus, as well as strong and outspoken groups of liberals that center around feminism and communism. What really impressed me is the closeness between the professors and the students. With a 1:6 faculty-student ratio, students would be able to develop a closer connection and more personal relationships with staff members. I personally had an amazing working experience with my advisor.
Start Your Review of Bard College at Simon's Rock
I went to SRC for 2 years before transferring out. I loved it there, but I knew transferring was the right decision because SRC did not have my major.
Because Simon's Rock is such a small, unique and tight knit school, the alumni tend to be willing to help current students with internships or job opportunities once they leave "The Rock"
All professors are the tops of their fields, fantastic