Augustana College - Illinois Reviews

I love Augustana because of the people I meet everyday. From the administrators, to the teachers, and of course, students, I feel welcome at all times. This keeps me motivated and ready to learn.
I love how the staff is really caring! The campus is beautiful!
I am, however, disappointed with the amount of homework I have each day. People always say college is fun, but its a lot less fun when you spend 8 hours in class and then 8+ hours on homework every single day.
As a liberal arts college, Augustana allowed me to experience a wide variety of classes while still being able to complete my chosen degree.
Review Augustana College - Illinois
I was concerned about my college choice at first (mostly because I didn't know what I wanted), but Augustana has been a wonderful choice. Given, I might have been just as happy anywhere, I am certainly happy I picked a small school where everyone knows everyone - not just students, but faculty, staff, and administration. It helps the school feel less like a 'too-big' institution and more like a network of people who actually care about student success.
I loved my Augustana experience, I thoroughly enjoyed the trimesters, small class sizes as well as the focus from the professors. I enjoyed the close connection I made from being on an athletic team as well as my sorority. I would love to see the cost stay consistent and greater diversity in the student population.
Overall, the staff, especially in the music department is wonderful, and I'm glad I made the decision to come here; faced with the same choice, I would still be at Augustana. Additionally, the small school allows me to get to know more people, and I can recognize recurring faces while walking around campus, even if I don't know them personally. Also, there are plenty of resources on campus, and they are all available to everyone.
Augustana College has a great biology department. The professors are helpful, and they want their students to succeed. The campus is diverse, and the multicultural group provides information to the campus. There are many clubs and organizations on campus that students can participate in.
The thing that drew me to Augustana College off the bat, was the campus. It has an absolutely beautiful campus with amazing scenery: all season!
The only thing I can proudly say I loved about Augie, was the scenery, the amazing friends I made, and sadly, the parties. If it had not been for my friends, I would have left since my sophomore year. The academics were great, if you weren't a science major. Almost more than half of the friends that I made, who were of a diverse culture and were science majors, had left by sophomore year. The science major had it hard! Especially since many of the professors weren't much help. At one point, instead of helping my grades and advising me on how to improve, I was being told to find a different school. It's sad to say but I strongly believe that Augustana College was in fact racist.
Augustana College offers a very unique college experience. With a student population less than 3,000 on a beautiful, quiet, hilly campus, one can come to appreciate what it means to be a part of this school. One thing I really appreciated about Augustana College was the student-faculty ratio. In nearly all of my classes, I created a connection with my professors and continued class discussions with them in their offices. There are days where I stop into their office just to talk about a new concept related to their field of study, which they are always happy to listen to. Augustana utilizes a trimester system (Fall, Winter, and Spring terms) which makes a double major more manageable and offers students more opportunities to explore the courses that they have interest in. This is a perfect institution for those seeking the Liberal Arts education.
Augustana is a home where each professor knows every student by name, and professors and students alike want to help. This is a place where people watch out for each other, hold doors for each other, and do what they can to be helpful. Professors take time to get to know each student, and create opportunities for learning and change on campus and off.
I love Augustana so much. I feel incredibly safe and at home at school, and I love the faculty and staff. Augustana has a great party scene but is also very focused on academics.
I found Augustana to be a shock as far as rigorousness is concerned for my first two years then relatively easy and fulfilling once major and minors were established. The professors range from involved and caring about each student to being unyielding and judgmental based upon their perceptions based on demographics and first impressions. Social life was acceptable but not overwhelming and the surrounding area is economically depressed leaving limited opportunities. My degree has little vocational value and the tuition was outrageous and has to this day continued to go up. The internet went from painfully slow to mediocre and housing has similarly progressed. I think the CORE and EDGE centers and academic facility investments have personally been too little too late though will benefit future students.
It is a good school with some great professors. There are some issues among students and many are ignorant to the idea of diversity. Maybe the school can work on this in the upcoming years.
Augustana is an amazing school with some simply wonderful professors. The ratio of faculty to students is 11:1, which is very impressive. All of the faculty want to see their student succeed and do everything in their power to help and challenge them. Something that I would like to see changed is the schools housing options. I have friends that are Juniors who are studied abroad this past fall term, and do not have an appropriate place to live, or with the people that they would like to live with. These Juniors are living in dorms, when they should be in apartments.
I have only been here for one trimester, as a transfer student, but I love Augustana. It is exactly the kind of school I was looking for. I was never completely sure whether i would want to attend a big school or a small school, but I'm glad I went with a smaller school. Everyone is so friendly and you run into the same people all the time, which makes it easier to make friends. Augustana's student population is the same amount of students that attend my high school, about 2500 people. I do wish, however, that there was a marching band at Augustana.
Other than getting bored with the food after 9 weeks, and the obnoxious fire alarms. I love Augustana.
Augustana College was a very beautiful college. If there was anything I could change, I would've loved to see the dorms. The most captivating part of our tour was that we got to experience the C.O.R.E project. C.O.R.E helps students in the areas they struggle most in- writing, speaking, presenting. The program gets students ready for the real world. They have tutors to help in the areas of weakness.
Review Augustana College - Illinois
College so far has been a great balance of a challenging but doable academic life and also a lively social life once a group of friends has been found.
Marijuana can be smelled often in dorms to be honest. As for alcohol, it is widely used and many are into drinking even on weekdays. The good part is that there is barely any peer pressure to drink or do drugs. In fact, you are respected if you don't do those things. Policy enforcement is poor because it is so easy as an underaged student to access drugs and alcohol.
As a new member of a sorority at Augustana, I would say that Greek Life here is pretty big. By big I mean that if you are the kind of person who wants to go to parties, always have something social to do, and be considered "popular," then I suggest that you join Greek Life. That being said, non-Greeks are not made fun of or thought less for not joining a sorority or a fraternity, but being such a small school, if you are not in Greek Life and have not joined any other group, you might feel isolated and not fully included if you are into the party scene. There is definitely a ranking among the sororities and fraternities even though the Greek groups mostly get along. I must say however that there is a definite ranking as to who are the "popular" groups and which groups are the "rejects." There are pretty large stereotypes that will follow you depending on which sorority or fraternity you join among Greeks as well as non-Greeks. In a nutshell, Greek Life is a huge deal if you are into the party scene. If you are the type of person who does not like to party and would rather stay in and watch Netflix every night (nothing wrong with that!:)) then Greek Life is nothing to worry about. However, I would like to mention that there is prestige in being in Greek Life so if you are into prestige and the whole "being popular" scene, join.