Amherst College Reviews

Filters Applied:
Excellent school where the professors care about their students . Great small town and close to other colleges.
The online experience is good given the limitations. Of course it does lack something when you are not able to meet the professor and other stiduents.
Professors care about their students and put in a lot of effort into making the online learning experience bearable.
Start Your Review of Amherst College
Great atmosphere to learn in - professors genuinely care about their students. The students are very friendly and the environment is generally collaborative. Lots of connections to be made with diverse people from all sorts of backgrounds.
The faculty and students at Amherst College are very welcoming. The professors are extremely well-versed in their subjects and open to office hours with students.
Great four years. Academically challenging, beautiful campus, can continue to increase diversity, competitive athletics, and variety of opportunities on campus and in town to fulfill social interests
Amherst was a beautiful campus and an amazing experience! I met so many people who I consider my best friends to this day! Would recommend!
Amherst truly is an amazing school in a beautiful location. The professors are top notch and the student body is extremely friendly and open.
I visited them in July. I liked their campus, especially the outside community. This is my top choice college and I really would love to go here!
Everyone is so nice. The campus is beautiful. The food has its good days. The classes are rewarding and professors are caring. Many extracurriculars to choose from. Great environment.
Generous financial aid, diverse student body, excellent career/internship support services, and friendly professors!
I graduated in 1986 so I am sure the campus has changed dramatically. When I went there, it wasn't as diverse as it is now nor was it as progressive. However, overall, the experience was excellent and I would recommend this school to anyone I know.
Small School, for sure. Everyone knows each other's business, but if you are ok with that, the academics are truly unparalleled. The professors are all incredibly intelligent and helpful, and they really pushed me to think through a problem with all its complexity, without the pressures of simplification that often characterize modern issues. My classmates were all amazing, which was intimidating at first, but which I also grew to appreciate and hopefully grow from. The administration tries its best, but at times, students feel they aren't heard and the administration feels it is coddling students. Definitely more work to be done (in and outside the college) on understanding and making space for identities, but Amherst's diversity really pushes everyone to make that space (successfully at times and unsuccessfully at times.)
I fell in love with Amherst the minute I saw it. Located on a hill in an idyllic New England town, it embodies all the qualities I think are important in a college.
I've grown intellectually more than I could have imagined during my time at Amherst. The student body is amazing from top to bottom, which allows classes to move at a very fast pace. Much material is covered, very quickly, each semester. Plenty to do on campus, in town and in the surrounding area, the Pioneer Valley is beautiful.
The academics at Amherst rival any college in the country. The professors are all tops in their field, and also make themselves available at any time. This is really an important thing. The student body has the same "on paper diversity" as most colleges, but everyone here is highly academically accomplished, including the athletes. It is not, however, an outwardly "competitive" place. That's not the culture here. People are friendly and there are parties and social engagements almost all Fridays and Saturdays, but from Sunday through Thursday people study and work hard. Sports events (football, basketball, etc) are surprisingly well attended and fun events. Very hard school to get into, esp. if you are not a recruited athlete.
Absolutely amazing school, life-changing experience. Met so many diverse, hard-working, passionate, interesting, intellectual people there. Got tons of opportunities--went abroad, and did lots of internships on Amherst's dime. Financial aid was amazing. Campus is jaw-droppingly beautiful with the leafy quads and the Holyoke range on the horizon. Town is super cute and charming. Most of my friends ended up at top grad schools and jobs around the country and abroad.
Start Your Review of Amherst College
As a senior looking back I can say I could not have made a better choice. Like everyone here I had many great colleges to choose from. My experience here has been phenomenal. One bonus for those entering after this year is all major construction will be done, including the fantastic new $300 million science center.
Starting my Junior year at Amherst. It is a fantastic place to learn. Quality professors, an administration that cares for the students, faculty and staff, a ridiculously strong and loyal alumni network, a beautiful and historic campus that is meticulously maintained and thoughtfully preserved. What's not to love!
As a graduating senior this year, I can say that I will greatly miss Amherst. The people I've become friends with, the professors, the education and the opportunities have all been "A+." The benefits of everyone living on campus all 4 years, and the community that builds, are not understood by most who have not experienced it, but cannot be overstated.