Amherst College Reviews

Small School, for sure. Everyone knows each other's business, but if you are ok with that, the academics are truly unparalleled. The professors are all incredibly intelligent and helpful, and they really pushed me to think through a problem with all its complexity, without the pressures of simplification that often characterize modern issues. My classmates were all amazing, which was intimidating at first, but which I also grew to appreciate and hopefully grow from. The administration tries its best, but at times, students feel they aren't heard and the administration feels it is coddling students. Definitely more work to be done (in and outside the college) on understanding and making space for identities, but Amherst's diversity really pushes everyone to make that space (successfully at times and unsuccessfully at times.)
I love Amherst. It’s definitely small and rural, so you have to be prepared to find most of your social life on campus itself. But if you’re ready for that, the academics are great, professors are helpful, people are wonderful, and campus is beautiful! The financial aid packages are amazing, because Amherst intentionally makes the hard part gaining admission—not paying!
I fell in love with Amherst the minute I saw it. Located on a hill in an idyllic New England town, it embodies all the qualities I think are important in a college.
Start Your Review of Amherst College
I enjoyed my time here, but the social scene is changing and the school is becoming much more strict. I think the reason I was able to enjoy my time here is because I experienced the "old Amherst" in my early years. I have a brother who is an incoming freshman and I told him not to attend Amherst. People are becoming more and more unhappy at Amherst.
The small class sizes allowed me to work closely with professors. The athletic department supported my development as a student-athlete and leader on campus and in the community.
I've grown intellectually more than I could have imagined during my time at Amherst. The student body is amazing from top to bottom, which allows classes to move at a very fast pace. Much material is covered, very quickly, each semester. Plenty to do on campus, in town and in the surrounding area, the Pioneer Valley is beautiful.
The academics at Amherst rival any college in the country. The professors are all tops in their field, and also make themselves available at any time. This is really an important thing. The student body has the same "on paper diversity" as most colleges, but everyone here is highly academically accomplished, including the athletes. It is not, however, an outwardly "competitive" place. That's not the culture here. People are friendly and there are parties and social engagements almost all Fridays and Saturdays, but from Sunday through Thursday people study and work hard. Sports events (football, basketball, etc) are surprisingly well attended and fun events. Very hard school to get into, esp. if you are not a recruited athlete.
Absolutely amazing school, life-changing experience. Met so many diverse, hard-working, passionate, interesting, intellectual people there. Got tons of opportunities--went abroad, and did lots of internships on Amherst's dime. Financial aid was amazing. Campus is jaw-droppingly beautiful with the leafy quads and the Holyoke range on the horizon. Town is super cute and charming. Most of my friends ended up at top grad schools and jobs around the country and abroad.
As a senior looking back I can say I could not have made a better choice. Like everyone here I had many great colleges to choose from. My experience here has been phenomenal. One bonus for those entering after this year is all major construction will be done, including the fantastic new $300 million science center.
Everyone here is selfish. There is no other way to describe it. They always talk about wanting to have deep conversations about pressing matters but only listen to others that believe the same things as they do. Anyone with differing opinions, specifically conservatives, get talked over or even yelled at. People here are willing to be inclusive with everyone; from people who identify as a toaster over, to people that have names with variable letters. This is great, I love this inclusivity but the second someone talks about a more traditional conservative view, they are ostracized almost immediately. I was super excited to come to Amherst so I could get a degree form one of the best schools in the country and play some competitive D3 football, but now I just wanna go home and look elsewhere for an education.
Starting my Junior year at Amherst. It is a fantastic place to learn. Quality professors, an administration that cares for the students, faculty and staff, a ridiculously strong and loyal alumni network, a beautiful and historic campus that is meticulously maintained and thoughtfully preserved. What's not to love!
As a graduating senior this year, I can say that I will greatly miss Amherst. The people I've become friends with, the professors, the education and the opportunities have all been "A+." The benefits of everyone living on campus all 4 years, and the community that builds, are not understood by most who have not experienced it, but cannot be overstated.
What a place to spend 4 years! The rich academic environment (intense, but in a good way), the amazing people you'll meet, and the beautiful campus and town make it unforgettable. There's a reason why Amherst enjoys one of the highest levels of alumni support in the country!
Amherst is simply an amazing institution. The student body here is top notch academically, yet friendly, not cutthroat. The professors are genuinely available, almost 24/7, and have an interest in seeing their students succeed. Make no mistake, the academic environment is rigorous - for the most part the student body is made of of academic "1%-ers," and the pace and expectation is what you'd expect from that.
The town of Amherst is a quintessential beautiful Northeastern college town.
People are super successful coming out of Amherst. The acceptances to top medical, law and other graduate schools each year is mind-blowing. Same with people going into finance/Wall Street.
All in all, Amherst is a magical place to spend 4 years!
As a freshman here at Amherst my experience has been nothing but wonderful. Although it has been a shock coming from Houston, Texas, I've acclimated quite well to this new atmosphere. There are a surprisingly large amount of things to do in such a small town and it's a short ways away from both New York and Boston--so the town never feels too small. Rumors about low food quality are false, I'd say it's about average. All the professors sincerely care about their students and I've learned so much in fields that I have a legitimate, vested interest in.
The party scene is nonexistent. Furthermore the "athlete/student divide" is ridiculous. Administration sides heavily against athletes. Professors are wonderful here though. The town is a small college town not a ton to do in
Overall a good experience. Pros: academics, nice campus, lots of resources. Cons: very rural, preppy, some dorms are old, food is ok.
Start Your Review of Amherst College
Alumni relations are so close, so eager to help students. Jobs and internships can definitely be found through the alumni network and the Career Center tries so hard to connect them.
I would not be where I am not without these brilliant professors. They work as hard as the students, even harder, and do so much for the students. They make Amherst the fantastic place it is.
I feel very safe on campus -- no matter what time of day or night. The police are very kind and understanding; they really try to understand the students and any issues they come upon. Cannot comment upon health -- I haven't used the health center, but I've heard disappointing things.