Amherst College Reviews

Absolutely amazing school, life-changing experience. Met so many diverse, hard-working, passionate, interesting, intellectual people there. Got tons of opportunities--went abroad, and did lots of internships on Amherst's dime. Financial aid was amazing. Campus is jaw-droppingly beautiful with the leafy quads and the Holyoke range on the horizon. Town is super cute and charming. Most of my friends ended up at top grad schools and jobs around the country and abroad.
As a senior looking back I can say I could not have made a better choice. Like everyone here I had many great colleges to choose from. My experience here has been phenomenal. One bonus for those entering after this year is all major construction will be done, including the fantastic new $300 million science center.
Everyone here is selfish. There is no other way to describe it. They always talk about wanting to have deep conversations about pressing matters but only listen to others that believe the same things as they do. Anyone with differing opinions, specifically conservatives, get talked over or even yelled at. People here are willing to be inclusive with everyone; from people who identify as a toaster over, to people that have names with variable letters. This is great, I love this inclusivity but the second someone talks about a more traditional conservative view, they are ostracized almost immediately. I was super excited to come to Amherst so I could get a degree form one of the best schools in the country and play some competitive D3 football, but now I just wanna go home and look elsewhere for an education.
Start Your Review of Amherst College
Starting my Junior year at Amherst. It is a fantastic place to learn. Quality professors, an administration that cares for the students, faculty and staff, a ridiculously strong and loyal alumni network, a beautiful and historic campus that is meticulously maintained and thoughtfully preserved. What's not to love!
As a graduating senior this year, I can say that I will greatly miss Amherst. The people I've become friends with, the professors, the education and the opportunities have all been "A+." The benefits of everyone living on campus all 4 years, and the community that builds, are not understood by most who have not experienced it, but cannot be overstated.
What a place to spend 4 years! The rich academic environment (intense, but in a good way), the amazing people you'll meet, and the beautiful campus and town make it unforgettable. There's a reason why Amherst enjoys one of the highest levels of alumni support in the country!
Amherst is simply an amazing institution. The student body here is top notch academically, yet friendly, not cutthroat. The professors are genuinely available, almost 24/7, and have an interest in seeing their students succeed. Make no mistake, the academic environment is rigorous - for the most part the student body is made of of academic "1%-ers," and the pace and expectation is what you'd expect from that.
The town of Amherst is a quintessential beautiful Northeastern college town.
People are super successful coming out of Amherst. The acceptances to top medical, law and other graduate schools each year is mind-blowing. Same with people going into finance/Wall Street.
All in all, Amherst is a magical place to spend 4 years!
As a freshman here at Amherst my experience has been nothing but wonderful. Although it has been a shock coming from Houston, Texas, I've acclimated quite well to this new atmosphere. There are a surprisingly large amount of things to do in such a small town and it's a short ways away from both New York and Boston--so the town never feels too small. Rumors about low food quality are false, I'd say it's about average. All the professors sincerely care about their students and I've learned so much in fields that I have a legitimate, vested interest in.
The party scene is nonexistent. Furthermore the "athlete/student divide" is ridiculous. Administration sides heavily against athletes. Professors are wonderful here though. The town is a small college town not a ton to do in
Overall a good experience. Pros: academics, nice campus, lots of resources. Cons: very rural, preppy, some dorms are old, food is ok.
I would not be where I am not without these brilliant professors. They work as hard as the students, even harder, and do so much for the students. They make Amherst the fantastic place it is.
Alumni relations are so close, so eager to help students. Jobs and internships can definitely be found through the alumni network and the Career Center tries so hard to connect them.
I feel very safe on campus -- no matter what time of day or night. The police are very kind and understanding; they really try to understand the students and any issues they come upon. Cannot comment upon health -- I haven't used the health center, but I've heard disappointing things.
I decided to not go through room draw - I went for a theme house, specifically the Russian floor in Porter House. It was great -- huge, spacious rooms, a bit away from the center of campus, very close to town. Walls were a bit thin, I got used to sleeping in earphones because of floormates walking around at night. Very great place, otherwise.
I don't play a sport at school and don't really talk to athletes on campus, so I can't say much. People do attend some games, but not often since student-athletes and rest of the campus don't really talk to each other. Teams are tight and don't really expend energy to communicate with people not on the teams; non-athletes usually find friends on their own. The only large event where the whole school congregates is out Homecoming game. And even then, it's not for the sports, but for the atmosphere.
Amherst is an active, inspiring, curious place. The people all want so much more from life and are willing to do all to achieve that. Very active minds. Conversations can go in a billion different directions and it makes life at the college so interesting.
Amherst is a quiet place in general and there's not a lot going on that could harm me.
Start Your Review of Amherst College
People in the New England area know Amherst and hold it in high esteem.
The professors are very enthusiastic and very qualified.
The freshmen dorms are great. The renovated dorms are better than the old ones. It's a mix of old and new.