American University Reviews

2,184 reviews
Good school, especially for politics or international studies. The school is a good fit for students who want to study abroad or intern.
AU has been great but the administration is terrible. There were three racist incidents at the school in one year and nothing was done. The administration does not care about minorities on campus.
This school provides so much information via email, orientations, phone calls, etc. and they are very straightforward about their expectations. Inclusiveness and equality for all, no matter what you identify as regarding sexuality, race, and more, are valued here at American University from day 1.
Review American University
It has been an amazing experience thus far and has truly given me the chance to express myself as an individual in society and in the community. There is always something to do on-campus, especially on the quad when it is sunny. Even if there is rain, there is plenty to do indoors. The on-campus feel and the ability to go off campus whenever wanted is very nice. The closeness to the city is perfect but still far enough to feel like a suburban campus.
For Chinese students here, the name of this university makes my relatives, friends regard it as a diploma mill.
AU is a good school for anyone interested in political science, government, and international relations, however, I would not recommend it as much for other majors. The location of the school (Washington DC) as well as its alumni network ensures that students have some great internship opportunities around the city (think tanks, politicians, NGOs, etc.). Campus is small but safe and the quad is a great place to hang out in spring and summer.
I've been moving towards going into politics my whole life and this University has me excited about it. The classes are interesting, the Professors are professionals in their fields and the Student life is thriving. Great school and I'm glad to be here.
American University has a strong commitment to social justice, evidenced by its students' frequent rallies and discussions. There is a commitment to increase diversity. LGBT students feel at home. Beautiful campus and great professors and great internship opportunities.
While AU has a great reputation in the D.C. area and beyond, grad students are distinctly overlooked. The faculty is outstanding.
This University lacks the pride and culture that you would see at most state schools. On top of this, the school boasts about their diversity and inclusion but there is very little diversity on campus. There is some racial diversity; however, there is little to no economic diversity. I often feel out of place amongst my upper-middle-class peers. While there are many opportunities on campus, the academics are mediocre. I rarely feel challenged by the work that I am given and most of the professors are very lenient. Even though I am not a fan of American University, I love the surrounding area of D.C. And it is nice that unlimited metro access is included in our tuition. I suggest saving your money and going to a state school like UMD. It provides the college experience, with proximity to D.C., and limitless opportunities to succeed. I have already applied to transfer.
This is a very good University from the perspective as a graduate student, but as diversity goes outside of the graduate program, there is none.
The first time I visited American University I did an "over night". Right off the bat I got along with my host as we walked to her dorm. I was able to meet some of her friends and the students that they were hosting and every single person I met I got along with really well. We went "night monumenting" with all of the other prospective students, some AU ambassadors, and a few of the hosts. I knew that at this school I would be surrounded by people that I clicked with in an environment that pushed me to explore and learn. The next day included a series of tours and seminars, and the more time I spent at American University, the more I knew that I belonged there.
Although the school is in a great location you cannot use the location to make up for what it is lacking. The school lacks quality edible food for students and most of the facilities in the dorms are breaking down. Also the adminstration does not take hate crime seriously when it occurs on campus which generally leads to protest.
It was hard to adjust to American University at first. On the one hand I felt like I was on a small campus, but at the same time there is a huge student body and I knew no one. Participating in Greek Life has really allowed me to find my community at school. One of the best parts of American is the professors. They are all great and really invested in your education. Many of my professors make me feel excited and interested in topics that I otherwise wouldn't be interested in.
The class sizes are small and therefore it is easy to talk with your professors. The campus food could be changed up.
The campus was very nice and clean. Facilities are very well-funded and advanced. This is a very politically active school, and it's very strong on international relations, so you can expect very knowledgeable students who voice their opinions on political matters. That's what I find about this college very interesting. Also, you should feel very safe, as the Department of Homeland Security headquarters are right across the street.
Bit too political since everyone (3/4) of the student body majors in political science or international relations, and the cost of living is expensive, but a good school nonetheless. $50 to join the recreational soccer club, and similar expenses for other sports clubs. Usually attending on campus events put on by students (including plays) costs a minimum of $10. Which is a lot once everything adds up.
Review American University
The School of International Service and The School of Public Affairs have great programs at American University. Washington, D.C. is the perfect and unique place for students seeking degrees in either of those schools. Students here are pushed to maintain a high GPA, get an internship by the time they graduate, and be politically active on and off campus.
I enjoy the caliber of professors and opportunities that you can gain at American. Being located in DC is a tremendous asset.
AU is a school for students who are passionate about learning and making a difference. It's definitely not perfect, but the wonderful professors make up for the difficulties with administration. I'll always be thankful for my time at AU thanks to the dedicated students and professors making up such a wonderful community.