American University Reviews

2,201 reviews
AU provides an excellent location and it’s all about the connections you’ll gain. The academics are average and manageable. My concern is racial tensions have been building and are being ignored by administration. Over the past year we’ve endured racist acts with the cotton, flags and nooses. Not enough has been done to ease the mind nor discourage future incidents.
Whenever I visit the campus, it is in pristine shape. The students and faculty are very friendly. They produce driven and motivated students with an abundance of opportunities. Physically, the campus is beautiful with flowers all over.
The atmosphere is amazing and everyone is very hard working and driven. However, the inclusion is a problem when it comes to political affiliation much of the school is not very understanding and inclusive fo those with more right-wing points of view.
Start Your Review of American University
As a graduate student, AU has given me tremendous opportunities to grow in my profession. I like how I can be connected to campus life while still balancing my work and personal life.
surprisingly the political science program here isn't even top 50 in the country but you WILL land an internship as soon as you desire. it would be so much better if we had an international population we are far far below the east coast average. AU gives very generous scholarships and that is hard to beat
It is a very diverse University, warm and embracing. Excellent professors and a alumni network. American University boasts of international students from all continents of the world, this reflects on a rich cultural environment, where students learn beyond the classroom without having to travel
Very driven students, great professors, but can feel socially lacking. It’s definitely an academic school which is great but once you’re on campus you realize how much having a football team and a frat row actually matters in college social life. You can pull it off at
AU, but you have to try in different ways.
The Academics are excellent and the professors are very helpful during office hours, and the food is good compared to some other private universities. Plus we get free metro passes, the local area and campus are beautiful and the student life it lively. I would like to see an improvement regarding diversity, housing, and especially safety.
The online school is great but expect to do a lot of group work. And the school can be pricey for a graduate school
Overall, I'm in love AU and everything about it here. This place is great with a dynamic school climate, featuring well-acknowledged and helpful professors, superb location and plentiful of job and internship opportunities for students to find. You'll be able to pursue what you want and not what others feel you should do, and it's fairly easy to switch majors as you're accepted to all of the schools (The earlier the better). They're remodeling dorms: my dorm was recently renovated and the lounge area is a great place to bond and enjoy time with your floormates. Finally, the students here are really cool, and I'm comfortable with being myself and not putting up a facade. This is a great place to be. If you're on the cusp of deciding between here or GW/GU, you're not going to find a school that's a community. Both schools are known for feeling being elitist, but AU is more about working together and creating an inclusive environment for all.
Dually an academically rigorous and a well connected school, American University sets students up for success. Located in the picturesque Spring Valley neighborhood, American’s campus is an arboretum boasting gardens and many different species of foliage.
American University is situated in Northwest DC, a more peaceful, residential area of the Capital. Though it allows for separation from the busyness of downtown, it is conveniently near metro stops that can get you to the Capitol building quickly. AND AU offers FREE metro (busses and trains) to all students!!!! Along with fantastic academic programs (I'm a business major, but I've got to give it up for the School of International Service), American University is a great, competitive school to attend.
All in all I would have to say American is a pretty good university. It looks great on paper, professors are established or have connections so their are plenty of internship oppurtunities. I mean come on its the DC area. Campus looks nice and its generally pretty safe. Not a whole lot of diversity but the amount of POC students is increasing yearly from what I've seen. Student life is pretty large, we have clubs for almost everything. Athletics teams are lacking though, not in quantity but quality.
Besides the food (the Terrace Dining Room is terrible), this is a great place and I love being here.
I was poor before I went to American University and I am still poor after graduating from American University. Graduating from this school did not do anything to improve my standard of living. I am actually worse off from graduating from this school because now I have student loans to pay and I have never had one good job since graduating from this school. And everyone I know who graduated from this school does not have a good job either.
AU is an overall good school, especially for those who want a more intimate college experience. The academics are pretty good, as is the location. Diversity, equality, and sustainability are very important here. On the negative side, campus food mostly sucks (besides Subway and Einstein Bagels). There's also not a lot of school spirit, if you're into that.
I spent two weeks here over the summer and I absolutely loved it. I took a course called Broadcast Journalism and learned a lot. This is my first choice college.
Start Your Review of American University
This is a university that places academics before anything else, which is exactly what a higher education institute should do. The professors are genuinely interested in the subject matter he or she teaches, which translates into course material that will help prepare students for real-world, professional experience.
I love my teachers and courses but the administration is not very effective - the student body is constantly let down by them
Good school, especially for politics or international studies. The school is a good fit for students who want to study abroad or intern.