American University Reviews

2,242 reviews
American has excellent academics for sure, however the campus culture and spirit is really sad. The social scene is very restricted and if you aren't in a sorority or fraternity it is hard to be in the social scene.
I love the environment on campus as well as the city of D.C. itself. There is a lot of history and a niche for any student that passes through its halls.
The food is extremely subpar. However, the classes are challenging and the professors are engaging. AU is located in a beautiful section of North West Washington, DC. The social scene is diverse, and there are things for everyone.
Start Your Review of American University
American University has all the elements of a great urban university. Great people, professors, and students all right in the middle of the Washington DC.
American has far too many lefties, but other than that is a stellar university. The access to D.C. coupled with the courses make a powerful and unique experience.
Lots of degrees and courses to choose from. Great location in downtown DC and easy access the metro and public transportation. One thing I would change is promoting a sense of school spirit and chances to get to know other students. It can get very lonely on campus.
It was the only well known school in the area that did not require a GMAT. It offers an online program for people living around the area, such as myself.
Best university ever! The professors are beyond incredible people, the people are great, and the programs are challenging yet incredibly enticing. Changed my life forever and I'm so grateful.
American University has such a beautiful campus, amazing programs, polite staff, and an environment that strives to help its students succeed.
In my experience, enrolling in AU has a wonder experience. they prepare you for real work experiences and network is great
I commuted to and from American University as a grad student, so I cannot speak to the dorm experience or the undergrad experience. But I can say that the graduate school of psychology was an appropriately rigorous program that prepared me for pursuing my doctorate. It's a small campus located in the city of Washington, D.C., so it's perfect if you enjoy the urban atmosphere. It's quite expensive to rent a place in the area though, so if you already live in range to commute, you should do so.
As a rising sophomore at American, I can say that the first year I spent there was absolutely miserable. I spent my first semester in the Mentorship Program, which basically was a second coming of high school. I was stuck abroad with only 23 other students. Upon returning in the spring, I could not make any friends as everyone is an elitist pig. If you don't party hard enough at expensive clubs or do enough drugs, they won't waste their time on you. Despite sharing the same political beliefs and wanting the same change as every other student that attends the university, they discriminate against you and negate your feelings based on skin color. It's an extremely toxic environment. The only thing American has going for it is its interesting classes and professors.
It is the university of my dreams. First, because of the nice people I've met, and secondly, the great professors.
I loved all subjects I learned there, which have taught me beyond the reading materials.
I attended American University for two years and I was ultimately very disappointed. The financial aid office was never very helpful to me or many other students for that matter; I had a lot of trouble navigating my student accounts because there were many charges that weren't or "couldn't" be explained. The dorms were fine, the food could have been much better, and the academics were pretty challenging (which is great) considering the schools ranking. I think that they really need to better train the financial aid staff and make some serious food changes.
I went here for nslc and this university made the experience all the more memorable and better. The dorms are good quality and the staff are amazing this university is beautiful and a great location.
I enjoy the fact that I was able to take major classes as a first year to understand whether my major was the right fit for me, and it was! I am fully satisfied with the International Studies program and with the School of International Service. However, some of my professors could have definitely been more engaging and others were simply not worth AU's high price tag. Dorms are lacking in sanitation. Tenleytown, AU's location, is subpar as it is uneventful in comparison to the location of George Washington University or Georgetown.
Being in DC, you are in the epicenter of policy and international development. American University has some of the top professors in the field who are working as well as teaching, so they have great expertise to pass on.
Start Your Review of American University
I like the overall academic offering. They have great professors who are challenging and professionals in their field. Food diversity could be better.
My experience in the School of Education has been wonderful. It's hands-on and supportive. I've been able to go into classrooms and assist students during my first semester! They helped narrow down what I want to do in education! Housing on campus could be better and cleaner. Currently, AU is under a lot of construction so the campus isn't as pretty as it usually is due to all of the work being done.
I am new to American University's Masters of Science in Finance program. So far I have felt a great amount of administrative support from the university's student advising team and career services team. There's no doubt in my mind, I am in for a great experience.