American University Reviews

2,227 reviews
Overall, American University is a solid private university. Most of the professors in the College of Arts and Sciences are excellent and really want the students to succeed. Other aspects of the school, like the financial aid department, are terrible to deal with and don't seem like they care much about graduate students.
American students are so shallow with shameful intentions. They love the protest-du-jour so they can take selfies and then it's on to the next. There is no follow through to affect change. This attitude comes from the administrative on down. Majority of students come from wealthy families that can only function when coddled and that is why they come here and that is what they receive for daddies money at American.
American University is in a great location; in D.C, but outside the busy downtown part, and has its own suburban campus. Cons include liberally biased professors, poor dining options, but that's about it.
Start Your Review of American University
Overall a great experience working with this University so far. AU was my top choice (choosing AU was a no brainer) but I am currently working on an appeal for financial aid.
American University is a very good but it’s not the right fit for everyone. The student body at American is desirable as the students are nicer and more sophisticated than the average college student. The academics are very good as the professors I’ve had have been passionate and knowledgeable of their material.

On another hand, there are flaws in the school. The dining hall is very hot or miss and it’s cold for a little more than half of the school year. One may have trouble fitting in if they care about school spirit since there is none. Joining a fraternity or sorority is a must if you’re interested in partying as it’s hard to get into parties otherwise due to the small frat houses.
The education is great, professors really invest in students education and want to help them understand and succeed inside and outside the classroom. Faculty are always creating opportunity for students to become involved and make connections to get internships and jobs. There is never a shortage of connections.
I was very close to enrolling because of their tempting financial package. The advisors do a nice job of making students feel important and doing what it takes to recruit you. Ultimately I chose a Los Angeles area university because the stronger academics make it a better return.
Location location location. If you are going into international relations or poli sci you have to be in DC. The opportunities are overwhelming and make the difference 100%. AU has just average academics and campus is gross. I can think of 100 better universities. But the professors are connected and renown in their fields.
American University was able to give me a great financial aid package, and I was exposed to countless jobs in DC!
Academically, I've loved AU. My classes are challenging, professors are accessible and class size is small. AU has a wealth of academic resources. However the living situation is far from ideal. The freshman halls are frequently infested with mice, rats, cockroaches, etc. One of the showers even started spouting sewage and it took AU more than 24 hours to respond. The food is fine, if you aren't a picky eater- I have lots of dietary restrictions so its nearly impossible to eat on campus without getting sick.
The academics are decent but the social aspects of the school are awful. For instance, there is barely a party scene unless you are interested in frats. The people can be a little self-righteous and preachy. They are very active social justice warriors and will call you out if they don't like something you said.
The Professors are excellent and the classes are quite interesting. The close proximity to Government buildings allows for easy access to internships and other opportunities. The food on campus is awful and the overall service is very lackluster.
At the surface, American has a great deal to offer; however, once immersed in the university it rarely satisfies expectations. The overall climate of the campus is toxic, the student body is apathetic, and elitism is a common theme. The school is overpriced; the dorms are subpar for the cost (and some in particular are often infested with rats, bugs, or rodents); the dining hall is wretched, and the other food options are bland and tired; there is little to no school spirit or pride; stress and mental health issues are frequent and widespread throughout campus; and details do not even need to be disclosed as it pertains to racism at the school (read the news reports and articles for yourself). American is a major financial scam and, ultimately, just is not worth the investment...
Professors can be really amazing, particularly if you put in the effort and visit them during office hours. Students are very politically involved regardless of major, although the general opinion on campus is left-leaning. There tends to be to extremes of students, the ultra-rich and the low-income, with very few true middle class students in between, which causes tension on campus. There is also a history of racial incidents on campus. The administration can be very difficult and unhelpful, generally more interested in their own financial benefit than helping both students and professors.
Overall I would say the eduction factor at this University is very good. I think the professors really stretch you and want you to excel. If you are looking for a very conservative school, this is not a school for you. The students and the staff are very open and accepting of all walks of life; almost to the point that you are living in a bubble, compared to the real world.
Best decision of my life. The student population is not too big and not too small, with hundreds of student organizations or volunteer groups to join. The professors are top notch and genuinely care about your education and future career goals. In addition, the career center is huge and efficient, offering advising on everything from internships and graduate/law school searches to interviewing for jobs at any point in your career. Once an Eagle, always an Eagle!
I absolutely love AU. I was never one of those kids that was excited about going to college-- in fact, I dreaded it right up to the day I left home. I never liked the idea of the typical college experience, with the hordes of students, giant lecture classes, football-obsessed mania, and more interest in partying than academics. From the very first day of orientation, I knew I had picked the right place, and what I had dreaded for so many years became even more enjoyable and enriching than anything I'd experienced before. The best thing about life at AU is definitely the location.
Start Your Review of American University
I love my college so much and I couldn't imagine going anywhere else. AU has the prettiest little campus in a really nice part of DC. There's a ton of synagogues nearby, which is awesome for me as a Jew and the school has great Academic support. The only problem that I have found at the school is the dining hall (TDR), which is quite honestly awful but I don't think that's worth taking off a star from the overall review. You don't really go to college to get good food. You go because its where you want to be and I love this school. If you want to study politics, don't go anywhere else but AU!
It is my second semester attending American University and I am really enjoying it. For anyone interested in pursuing politics as a major I would highly recommend this university. The big thing I would change about AU would be the food. The dining hall is tiny and there are not many healthy options. For the amount of money we pay as students, I feel as though we deserve to have more quality choices when it comes to food.
I like the locality of the campus, it's pretty small and if you live on campus the school nothing is more than an 8 minute walk from edge to edge. The people and the culture is very welcoming of every religion, nationality, race, gender, ethnicity.