American University Reviews

2,189 reviews
I was poor before I went to American University and I am still poor after graduating from American University. Graduating from this school did not do anything to improve my standard of living. I am actually worse off from graduating from this school because now I have student loans to pay and I have never had one good job since graduating from this school. And everyone I know who graduated from this school does not have a good job either.
AU is an overall good school, especially for those who want a more intimate college experience. The academics are pretty good, as is the location. Diversity, equality, and sustainability are very important here. On the negative side, campus food mostly sucks (besides Subway and Einstein Bagels). There's also not a lot of school spirit, if you're into that.
I spent two weeks here over the summer and I absolutely loved it. I took a course called Broadcast Journalism and learned a lot. This is my first choice college.
Review American University
This is a university that places academics before anything else, which is exactly what a higher education institute should do. The professors are genuinely interested in the subject matter he or she teaches, which translates into course material that will help prepare students for real-world, professional experience.
I love my teachers and courses but the administration is not very effective - the student body is constantly let down by them
Good school, especially for politics or international studies. The school is a good fit for students who want to study abroad or intern.
AU has been great but the administration is terrible. There were three racist incidents at the school in one year and nothing was done. The administration does not care about minorities on campus.
This school provides so much information via email, orientations, phone calls, etc. and they are very straightforward about their expectations. Inclusiveness and equality for all, no matter what you identify as regarding sexuality, race, and more, are valued here at American University from day 1.
It has been an amazing experience thus far and has truly given me the chance to express myself as an individual in society and in the community. There is always something to do on-campus, especially on the quad when it is sunny. Even if there is rain, there is plenty to do indoors. The on-campus feel and the ability to go off campus whenever wanted is very nice. The closeness to the city is perfect but still far enough to feel like a suburban campus.
For Chinese students here, the name of this university makes my relatives, friends regard it as a diploma mill.
AU is a good school for anyone interested in political science, government, and international relations, however, I would not recommend it as much for other majors. The location of the school (Washington DC) as well as its alumni network ensures that students have some great internship opportunities around the city (think tanks, politicians, NGOs, etc.). Campus is small but safe and the quad is a great place to hang out in spring and summer.
I've been moving towards going into politics my whole life and this University has me excited about it. The classes are interesting, the Professors are professionals in their fields and the Student life is thriving. Great school and I'm glad to be here.
American University has a strong commitment to social justice, evidenced by its students' frequent rallies and discussions. There is a commitment to increase diversity. LGBT students feel at home. Beautiful campus and great professors and great internship opportunities.
While AU has a great reputation in the D.C. area and beyond, grad students are distinctly overlooked. The faculty is outstanding.
This University lacks the pride and culture that you would see at most state schools. On top of this, the school boasts about their diversity and inclusion but there is very little diversity on campus. There is some racial diversity; however, there is little to no economic diversity. I often feel out of place amongst my upper-middle-class peers. While there are many opportunities on campus, the academics are mediocre. I rarely feel challenged by the work that I am given and most of the professors are very lenient. Even though I am not a fan of American University, I love the surrounding area of D.C. And it is nice that unlimited metro access is included in our tuition. I suggest saving your money and going to a state school like UMD. It provides the college experience, with proximity to D.C., and limitless opportunities to succeed. I have already applied to transfer.
This is a very good University from the perspective as a graduate student, but as diversity goes outside of the graduate program, there is none.
The first time I visited American University I did an "over night". Right off the bat I got along with my host as we walked to her dorm. I was able to meet some of her friends and the students that they were hosting and every single person I met I got along with really well. We went "night monumenting" with all of the other prospective students, some AU ambassadors, and a few of the hosts. I knew that at this school I would be surrounded by people that I clicked with in an environment that pushed me to explore and learn. The next day included a series of tours and seminars, and the more time I spent at American University, the more I knew that I belonged there.
Review American University
Although the school is in a great location you cannot use the location to make up for what it is lacking. The school lacks quality edible food for students and most of the facilities in the dorms are breaking down. Also the adminstration does not take hate crime seriously when it occurs on campus which generally leads to protest.
It was hard to adjust to American University at first. On the one hand I felt like I was on a small campus, but at the same time there is a huge student body and I knew no one. Participating in Greek Life has really allowed me to find my community at school. One of the best parts of American is the professors. They are all great and really invested in your education. Many of my professors make me feel excited and interested in topics that I otherwise wouldn't be interested in.
The class sizes are small and therefore it is easy to talk with your professors. The campus food could be changed up.