American University is ...
Private not-for-profit, Methodist
NCAA Division I (without football)
American University Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
High School GPA
Early Decision/Early Action
Average cost after financial aid for students receiving grant or scholarship aid, as reported by the college.
Student Loan Options from Lenders
- Loans from community lenders that put people before profits
- Easy, online app with ability to add a cosigner in minutes
- Simple, straightforward student loans with an easy application
- Flexible repayment options, and strong borrower protections
- Apply online in just 3 minutes
- No origination, application and processing fees, no fees for early repayment
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.126 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.140 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.140 responses
Most Popular Majors
International Relations and National Security Studies457 Graduates
Business Administration and Management258 Graduates
Political Science and Government190 Graduates
Liberal Arts and Humanities106 Graduates
Film and Video Studies59 Graduates
Criminal Justice and Safety Studies57 Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join.179 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life.216 responses
Median Earnings 6 Years After Graduation
Employed 2 Years After Graduation
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation.91 responses
American University Reviews
Best decision of my life. The student population is not too big and not too small, with hundreds of student organizations or volunteer groups to join. The professors are top notch and genuinely care about your education and future career goals. In addition, the career center is huge and efficient, offering advising on everything from internships and graduate/law school searches to interviewing for jobs at any point in your career. Once an Eagle, always an Eagle!
My experience in the School of Education has been wonderful. It's hands-on and supportive. I've been able to go into classrooms and assist students during my first semester! They helped narrow down what I want to do in education! Housing on campus could be better and cleaner. Currently, AU is under a lot of construction so the campus isn't as pretty as it usually is due to all of the work being done.
Professors can be really amazing, particularly if you put in the effort and visit them during office hours. Students are very politically involved regardless of major, although the general opinion on campus is left-leaning. There tends to be to extremes of students, the ultra-rich and the low-income, with very few true middle class students in between, which causes tension on campus. There is also a history of racial incidents on campus. The administration can be very difficult and unhelpful, generally more interested in their own financial benefit than helping both students and professors.