American Musical & Dramatic Academy Reviews

It is hard work but it is work from day one. The professors are very good and demanding but you learn a lot.
I graduated from AMDA a year ago and upon reflecting on my time there for two years I can confidently say that I had a generally good experience. The Upper West Side (where the campuses are located) is beautiful, safe and filled with life and culture. The UWS is still one of my favorite areas in the city. The teachers were very knowledgeable in their fields and extremely helpful. I learned a lot, worked hard alongside my professors and peers and made lifelong friends. Unfortunately, in my first semester there was a teacher who sexually harassed quite a few female students. However, the school did the right thing by conducting an investigation and eventually terminating him once the students brought it to the school's attention. AMDA helped me in determining my next steps by providing multiple options after graduation.
This school is great for those pursuing a career in the arts. If you want to pursue a career in the arts then, this is the place!!
Start Your Review of American Musical & Dramatic Academy
I absolutely how hands on the teaching is. All your teachers are people who have worked or are currently working in the business and you can really tell the care about your success. I was blessed with a nice dorm, so no complaints there. Everyone is honestly about business and getting stuff done.
Amazing school, amazing faculty, amazing students! Starting in Fall and could not be any more excited!!
The American Musical and Dramatic Academy is not like any other college. It gives you a hands on experience on the world of theater on and backstage so ypu can have a large set of skills when working in that world of performance.
Great experience for diving into learning about performing arts as a career and focuses much so on preparing you for the outside industry.
I'm an ancient alum, graduated '86. AMDA was 2 of the best years of my life. I guess it cost alot less then, but was as tough to get in ( of over 40 in my audition/call back group I was one of only two accepted ) and graduate from ( half the students cut after Year 1 ) as it might be today. In the summer of '85, between first and second years, I attended a program offered by AMDA in association with NYU and The British Theatre Association in London and Cheltenham, England. Magical summer. I was 21-23 years old when I attended. I wisely didn't drink alcohol or smoke weed at all during my first year, and in extreme moderation in second year. For those who drink or smoke anything, I recommend doing your best to abstain. The hours and effort are rigorous, and I both kept a restaurant job and received permission to perform in non-profit community theatre during my attendance. To be young again! Hope AMDA is doing well, and that students persevere.
Haven’t been just yet but I’m excited. The atmosphere and people look very friendly. And they all are their for the same reason to perfect their craft.
I absolutely love AMDA. The teachers are real working professionals, and I feel like I have learned so much from them! I highly recommend this school to anyone wanting to go into the arts!
I love this school simply because they love me. Love may seem like a strong word but they honestly make every student feel like an asset to the school, even in the admission process. This college is truly amazing!
The worst school I ever went to! Certain teachers make you feel like crap.Felt like elementary school having the same people in every class. I learned nothing at all,they make you pay for everything. I got nothing out of Scamda all they did was take my money
I am a freshman and I love it! The academics are excellent and the professors are top grade and still work in their field. You're getting the best education.
The curriculum is excellent and I have learned a lot in my semesters of being her. However, there is a food crisis on campus and students literally can't eat because there is no food program. I also work as an RA and receive free housing, but no payment which makes the eating thing even worse for me.
I like the classes and teachers. I like how you take acting and singing twice a week. Also, learning different types of Broadway dancing. I also like the structure. I would like to see a meal plan added. The cafe is overpriced and the food is not worth the price.
I can't wait to go to school here. I love how the professors are people that are actually working in the industry, so they definitely know what they're talking about!
Teacher for the most part are amazing, but the administration sucks ass! Financial aid is lazy they are piss poor when it comes to giving scholarships to those who deserve them.
Start Your Review of American Musical & Dramatic Academy
AMDA can be a very stressful and miserable experience if you are not confident that the path is for you. I personally love the school very very much and wouldn't trade my time at AMDA for anything in the world. Unfortunately, it doesn't have meal plan in the New York Campus, although the school is working on it, and it is incredibly expensive. Do not go to AMDA unless you are 1000% sure that this is what you want to do. If you have the tiniest doubt I would caution you to attend. It is not worth wasting your time and your financial resources unless you are in love with it. I've seen an alarming number of students drop out because they can't handle the pressure or haven't fallen in love with the process. You MUST be in love with the process and you MUST be pursuing this career for all the right reasons. What you put into AMDA is what you will get out. You must be a hard worker and you must be willing to fall down a couple times- literally and figuratively.
I love it here at AMDA. So many opportunities here for expanding your experience and knowledge in the industry.
it is an amazing school with a great environment and loving caring professional teachers I love it here and life on the campus are great. the teachers work on Broadway or have been working and really familiar with the business. always want you to succeed. there are a lot of potions like taping and booking rehearsal rooms for free. the RA team is great an run a lot of events in the resident halls we have twenty-four seven security everywhere.