American Academy of Dramatic Arts - New York Reviews

AMDA's New York campus features a theatre for learning, skill development and performance. The Ansonia Building features a 100-seat, black box–style theatre equipped with two dressing rooms, a costume shop, a workshop, and backstage space and prop storage. AMDA's New York performing arts library holds a collection of scripts, scores, DVDs and other research material. Additional facilities include rehearsal space, film, TV and editing facilities, computer labs and the AMDA Student Store.The Los Angeles campus is located in the Hollywood Entertainment District, with its principal facility in the Vine Tower Building. AMDA's Los Angeles campus features four main theatres for learning, skill development and performance including a black box theatre, two laboratory theatres, and an outdoor amphitheater. Other facilities include rehearsal space, film, TV and editing facilities, library, the AMDA Café, and the campus piazza.
Being that I only had about 7 months of acting under my belt when I first came to this school, I can surely say that I am a totally different person. I never would have thought that I’d be the actor that I am now. Yes, I still have an entire year left, but I feel as though I’ve learned so much already just from this first year of being at this school. This conservatory breaks everything down, they give me all the fundamentals of being an artist. I’m so glad I even took the chance to come out to New York to audition when I did. It changed my life for the better, I can definitely attest to that.
The admissions and finance departments are great at communication and response time. They have made me feel extremely welcome and they offer scholarships... although I was given only a small amount everything helps. The audition process was fast and comfortable: I left my audition smiling and laughing since my auditor was joy to perform for.
Start Your Review of American Academy of Dramatic Arts - New York
The school is really intense but you will be graduating as a trained actor. The teachers are really strict but it is all worth it in the end. I wouldn't recommend anything to change.
The teachers were amazing. The things they taught me about acting and life are indispensable. They're in the middle of a massive curriculum overhaul so there were frustrating transparency issues with the administration. Frequently, there was a shortage of classrooms/rehearsal spaces so they rent off-campus locations. Booking rehearsal rooms as a student was hard and sometimes you would get kicked out because a Company show needed that room and they take precedence. The changes occurring are ambitious and ultimately, it's too much too soon. Students found themselves getting screwed on accident because there are too many students and not enough time and resources. Sometimes it felt that all of my money was burned on renting off-campus and bribing industry to come and see us. However, they worked out most of the kinks on my graduating class. The staff were what made it for me.
the school is located in the heart of Manhattan, the classes are hands on and amazing, diverse student body and a lot to do outside of class
This program is giving me the foundation and skill I will need to pursue a career in the performing arts. I am learning to act from an honest place. I am being pushed every day to work harder and more honestly.
The staff and faculty are very helpful and supportive. I feel like I have an entire team working together with me, to make sure that I am successful in my future career.
The American Academy has such an effective curriculum, with teachers that really care about the students succeeding and prevailing in the acting world.
I have learned more in one year than all other years in high school when it comes to acting and theatre
Not very diverse ethnically. Everyone I've met here is wonderful and extremely easy to get along with. We're all going through the same studies and we're all eager to make connections.
Everyone here get along so well.
Thy were very great with me personally.
They help you connect with others before you even are out of school.
They understand our situation at a personal level.
They are very willing to help you out in any way they can.
It has everything you really need in their library and the location of the school is very convenient.
Start Your Review of American Academy of Dramatic Arts - New York
The school offers anything an aspiring actor could need. Not only do they have an extended library with any play or book you could ever need, but they have the best teachers, rooms available for rehearsals, lots of free events and shows with older students and frequently offers cheap or free admission to events in or regarding the professional business. The learning environment is open and positive and everyone strives to work like professionals.
Always helping out the students.
It is expensive but the financial aid office helps you every step of the way.