American Academy of Dramatic Arts - New York Reviews

As an international student from Uganda, it was overwhelming at first but if it was not for the academy, I would be lost in NYC. Being in the middle of the city means that it is only a few minutes from almost every interesting thing about NYC and the administration is supportive and sensitive to everyone's needs. As for the classes, as someone who has not been around the acting scene for a while, I found that the teachers tend to throw you into the deep end and let you figure it out on your own. This would be useful if it wasn’t for the fact that they rarely correct you when you are wrong or make a mistake which leaves you confused, unsure of what is happening, where you are going or if you are doing something wrong or right. However, every term has new teachers and each teacher has their own teaching method which is refreshing and you can learn from a different person what you did not from another. Overall, it is an accommodating institution, even if the learning waters are rough.
For me as a student, taking online classes as a result of the quarantine was challenging. Moreover, for a course for which I never dreamt that I would be doing over zoom, the first days had me flailing around and it was a strange experience to say the least. Not only did I have to forego some aspects of my course structure, but even the ones I could do felt unnatural and uncomfortable. For example, when the quarantine started, we were in the middle of learning partner dances in theatre dance, locomotion in movement, scenes in acting, monologues in voice and speech and partner work in camera techniques.Practicing this form on art online is challenging, from having to position your camera, and trying to act or move in a way that your entire body is seen in addition to trying to work off someone else and pretending they are right there.Plus, there is a limit to the activities that can be done online, but on the plus side, it was a new thing to explore and learn from.
Amazing school with excellent staff, be warned the training is intense but if gives a great reflection on what the acting world will be like. The school creates a loving environment the is great for harboring growth, while at the same time each student gets pushed far outside of their comfort zone! Even with the Covid-19 pandemic I still managed to get a an awesome acting experience! If you haven't thought about applying to the academy, I highly suggest it!
Start Your Review of American Academy of Dramatic Arts - New York
The only reason classes were online was due to the Covid-19 pandemic, usually no classes are remote learning! With that being said, the school did a very good job creating a similar experience to what in person classes were like.
During COVID, all of the instructors really worked with the students to make sure that we were getting the best experience possible. I think the school really did everything they could to give us the same experience as we would have in person.
I really truly do love this school. You get as much from it as you put in. The only problem (and why I didn't give 5 stars) is that a lot of people do not have that mentality and don't put as much work in as you might. All of the instructors I've had are amazing and though they might seem kind of strict (for lack of a better word), they will really help you along your journey as an actor and they also really care! I love this school so much and I am looking forward to using all it taught me when I get out into the business more.
The American Academy of Dramatic Arts is an absolutely stunning conservatory. The program is rigorous and demanding. The faculty is mindblowing and supportive. The work that goes on in our walls is truly magical. This program produces both brilliant actors and even better human beings.
I enjoyed how the office of admissions truly helped out in every way. the curriculum is outstanding and how much its helped me grow as an actor and performer has truly been one of the best experiences in my life. The faculty the teachers all truly cared about the students. Student life is truly one of the best all the students are hard working and caring and are willing tom help each other out and still have a but of competition. And the city that its located in god truly so amazing I love New York City I love it so much.
Rip off... 19th century acting. Over rated by themselves... Kinda not taken seriously in the acting community. Lives on ancient reputation. Many graduates deny ever attending.
Overall, AADA was a positive experience. It's a specialty school designed specifically for actors looking to improve their skills, connections and confidence. Being such a small school, administratively and politically, AADA has some room to grow. However, the reputation, instructors and instruction is excellent.
over all my experience at this college was great, the staff really in lighted me on how attending amda college of would further my talents as a vocal major. they showed my other exciting programs such as acting, dance theater, performing arts, music theater ect.
I love how you can get that on-on-one attention and you don't have professors or teachers being an unknown person you have never seen before (seeing a different side of that person). Lastly, I like I how everyone is friendly and there is no dramatic competition you see in the movies.
I went on a tour of the school and thought of it as something I wanted to do for the next 2-4 years of my life, Musical theatre has always been a passion of mine and I wanted to continue it at an amazing school and be able to do it professionally and/or work in music anyways after graduating from the college if i get accepted in .
I liked how strict the program is. It is designed to set apart the people who are serious and passionate about theater, and the people who aren't. What I would change, however, is the lack of compassion and understanding among the administration there. I believe it is possible to be strict and understanding at the same time.
One of the most amazing and prestigious schools in the industry!
Not only do they have an extensive history and an impressive alumni list, the staff truly believes in their work and it shows. if you want amazing technique and experience about the industry AADA is the way to go!
Terrible worst school I went to .Certain teachers are terrible.I hated every second of this school.I hated having the same people in all my classes.They expect you to pay for everything.You learn nothing at all it’s a waste of time and money.Going to scamda was a mistake
Being that I only had about 7 months of acting under my belt when I first came to this school, I can surely say that I am a totally different person. I never would have thought that I’d be the actor that I am now. Yes, I still have an entire year left, but I feel as though I’ve learned so much already just from this first year of being at this school. This conservatory breaks everything down, they give me all the fundamentals of being an artist. I’m so glad I even took the chance to come out to New York to audition when I did. It changed my life for the better, I can definitely attest to that.
Start Your Review of American Academy of Dramatic Arts - New York
The admissions and finance departments are great at communication and response time. They have made me feel extremely welcome and they offer scholarships... although I was given only a small amount everything helps. The audition process was fast and comfortable: I left my audition smiling and laughing since my auditor was joy to perform for.
The school is really intense but you will be graduating as a trained actor. The teachers are really strict but it is all worth it in the end. I wouldn't recommend anything to change.
The teachers were amazing. The things they taught me about acting and life are indispensable. They're in the middle of a massive curriculum overhaul so there were frustrating transparency issues with the administration. Frequently, there was a shortage of classrooms/rehearsal spaces so they rent off-campus locations. Booking rehearsal rooms as a student was hard and sometimes you would get kicked out because a Company show needed that room and they take precedence. The changes occurring are ambitious and ultimately, it's too much too soon. Students found themselves getting screwed on accident because there are too many students and not enough time and resources. Sometimes it felt that all of my money was burned on renting off-campus and bribing industry to come and see us. However, they worked out most of the kinks on my graduating class. The staff were what made it for me.