American Academy of Art Reviews

My first three years were valuable while expensive. I improved my drawing skills, which is essential to a career in art.

There were good teachers, and horrendous teachers. I had a teacher tear down my sculpture in front of the class because she said I started it incorrectly, even though she watched me build it. I also had a new teacher threaten to fail my class during Senior year because he didn't like how we were taught/our portfolios. He tried to get us to change majors our Senior year.

The school lies. The school claimed 80%+ of my graduating class in my major was placed in major-relevant jobs. Since there were only about 15 kids in my major that graduating year, I knew most of them on social media.

The career services is a JOKE. After I graduated, I was contacted by the new career services lady. I told her I was not employed and she told me she had opportunities to send me. I never heard from her again.
People broke into campus, and when students asked if they were going to do anything to protect us, they said no, because we are in a “good location” (there have been countless robberys outside on our street). We have no security and are very unsafe. They also refuse to fix things that need to be fixed, for example we had a pipe burst and they had a dumpster to catch the water for a few days, and because of this our tiles peeled up (3 months ago) and insead of fixing them, they threw ugly rugs on them instead (still there). We also had broken water fountains for two months, they refuse to turn up the heat in the lounges we have, there are no activitys yet we are charged activity fees, and there is a lot sexual harasment throughout campus. We are all paying upwards of 30,000 dollars a year, yet do not see it put into campus or towards us in any way. Our water in the bathrooms and water fountains, occasionally (10+ times) comes out brown.
I loved the small size of the school. Given it is primarily an art school. Having that small environment gives you many advantages, such as more 1/1 time with teachers and students to better learn and grow in your work. Yet given its small size I have a good sense independence from here as well. They are not too close to you, giving you space if need be, but also are not distracted by hundreds of other artists. As well as the fact that it gives off a very friendly and comfortable feel. Which in art as high stress as it is ,is very needed. The walls are plastered with amazing work from past and current students and graduates, giving me a nice sense of what is actually attainable after school here. Of all the schools I toured, this one has been the most ¨appealing¨ for lack of a better term. Amazing school, with a very nice and friendly vibe twords it.
Start Your Review of American Academy of Art
The American Academy of Art provides a great learning experience for all who want to major in the arts. Classes are all small enough for all students to get one on one moments with the proffesors. Everything is taught from step one and the proffesors work with everyone to help you get ahead and master the mediums.
I would like to see more motivation within the student body. It's annoyingly common to see students skipping class to hang out in the student lounge. Class sizes are very small- sometimes less than ten students in 300 and 400 level classes, so when one or two people are always missing it's frustrating to see they are still allowed to be in the program.
The art classes at this school are really great. Most art professors will teach you the basics and push you further into the subject and help you expand ideas and skills. I absolutely love the art classes here. I love being able to have one on one time with those teachers and be able to constantly progress. However, the science and humanities classes are generally easy and not worth paying overly attention. There isn't a lot to offer and the ones that are offered, are too easy in my opinion. Some of the science and humanities professors leave me more confused after explaining assignments by contradicting themselves or leaving out important information. I wish there were more science and math options.
all in all, this school is great. other students are generally great and staff is mostly great. The fact that they focus on career planning makes this school top notch. I recommend.
I’ve attended the academy for 5+ years and I enjoyed it. Very small school which I personally like since I get more one on one time with the professors.
Most of the teachers here are good and care about their students. They push you to try new things and work harder. We go to school in an office building. There are two tiny student lounges and often kids have to eat lunch on the floor in the hallway. We have no food court here, just a few crappy vending machines. Homeless people have gotten into our building before, it's not hard to do. Location is on Michigan Ave and right by the Art Institute museum. You can't pick your own classes lately because there are no choices, you just get put somewhere even if you have no interest in the class. They charge you lab fees which are rediculious and should be built into your tuition.
It's great being taught by people who are already established in the art community. The teachers are really personable and it's not hard to talk to them at all. While there isn't anything like a meal plan and the dorms are quite expensive - which is kind of expected being downtown and all - the classes and how thoroughly subject matter is covered makes up for it
So far I like all my classes and professors!
Students have much convenience here.
The career services at my school are amazing. Alumni also utilizes them.
I'm looking forward for the several opportunities this college offers it's students.
My major fit perfectly with this school.
I'm so proud to be a part of this very highly rated school!
So far the career planning and help seems like the only reason I'm happy with this school so far
Some professors are very stubborn and act they are better than you at what they do and don't want to help you learn, afterall this is school and not yet my career so I need to learn all I possibly can in a respectable way.
Start Your Review of American Academy of Art
I wish there were better teachings on the program's I'm using in class and I didn't feel like I have to learn them on my own
It's okay I just wish the financial aid office would be more responsible and the teachers be more open and not so intimidating
Some classes are filled, being a freshman. So there isn't a way to transfer to a different class unless someone in that class transfers out