Allegheny College Reviews

Classes and rigorous, however you will learn a lot. Most professors have office hours where you can ask questions if needed. The professors genuinely want their students to succeed, and are willing to help in any way. Tuition is expensive and off-campus housing is not available unless you are from the area.
Allegheny College is a great place. The people there are great if you make the right friends. The party scene is all what you make it. You can have more fun than a huge school, but you can also have no fun at all. It is what you put into it. Meadville is a great little town. The local bars are awesome as well as the food. If you enjoy the outdoors you cannot beat the area. Hunting, fishing, hiking; Its all there. The education itself is very hard and rigorous. It is not an easy school. But you get one of the best educations you can get. The professors are great and truly nice people. They want you to succeed but will push you at the same time. Allegheny College isn't for everybody. But if you decide to attend you'll be sure to leave with some great memories, a great education, best friends, and a constant craving for Market House. #gatorbounce
Allegheny College is a great four year college with a beautiful campus and amazing staff. The academics at Allegheny are highly ranked with the school being a liberal arts school. The college takes the safety of their students seriously to help improve student life on campus. Allegheny offers a lot of opportunities for internships which help to build connections for jobs after college. Living at Allegheny is comfortable with cozy dorm, housing, and apartment options.
Start Your Review of Allegheny College
The moment I stepped on the campus I knew I was home. Several people reached out to me during my orientation period before moving to the campus. During an open house, I was greeted by several staff members and they all asked me about why I became a Gator. My first week of class I will have to have surgery and had several students reach out to me to let me know about their organizations (and also if I needed any help). I have never felt more welcome or loved in a learning environment. This was a huge step for me, and the community made it so much easier. I knew I made the right decision.
Allegheny College is the perfect school to attend if you're a little confused about what you want to do in life, but you know you need to be in college. You do not have to declare a major for two years and graduation requirements are generic that multiple classes can satisfy many of them. The teaching environment is always open and friendly with the smaller class sizes, so it truly feels like your teachers get to know you. Getting involved is also super easy, because we have Greek Life, Varsity Sports, Intramural Sports, Clubs, and many jobs on campus for students to be apart of.
Allegheny is a rigorous school that expects a lot, but the professors are invested in helping students succeed and most are role models and good instructors. The overall atmosphere is also a very friendly and welcoming one. However, costs are constantly increasing while aid stays the same, so I'm always feeling like the administration only sees dollar signs, no matter how much I contribute to the school's success. The drinking culture on campus is quite prevalent and annoying. Residence Life does not know how to pick it's RAs properly.
Allegheny is a place for good students to become great people. I went on from Allegheny to get my Masters degree from an elite school. While Allegheny may not be an elite college, you will get a top-notch education. Comparing the two experiences- Allegheny students are just as intelligent and hardworking as elite college students, often more so, but without the pretension. Allegheny students might not have had the test scores or GPA to get into an elite school, but they have the curious, intelligence, and work ethic to. Allegheny students are kind and accepting. They are open. They are caring. I wouldn't trade my Allegheny experience for any other.
Allegheny is a great school for academics, but there are definitely some things that could be improved. Underclassman student housing, general amenities, and the surrounding area are definitely downsides.
The school has rigor and a variety of classes, but is in a small town that doesn't have much to offer.
I recently went on a visit to Allegheny and I really loved their unique combinations requirement for majors. I would like to seem them be a little more selective in admittance.
Allegheny is a hidden gem to American private liberal arts colleges. It has truly changed the ways that I interact with academics, people, and view the world. You'll build connections across disciplines while adding new, challenging, and diverse experiences from faculty, clubs, sports, music, the outdoors, art, and finding your own path. It's easy to run with a passion that you hold and just as easy to tap into the passions of others with more than 120 clubs represented on a campus of ~2000 students. Prepare to be amazed and changed!
Allegheny College is a small liberal arts school in Northwestern Pennsylvania, 'liberal arts' meaning that students much study multiple fields of study. I find that through doing this, I am able to make connections across disciplines and it has been an eye opening experience. Allegheny is academically rigorous but truly rewarding, and I have been able to develop meaningful relationships with many of my professors. There are opportunities for students to join greek life, however there are also over 100 student run clubs and organizations to participate in. There is even an equestrian team, which I am apart of. Allegheny does not have the best dining halls and some of the academic buildings and dorms are outdated, however the experience as whole is life-changing.
As a small liberal arts college relatively few people have heard of Allegheny, but this does nothing to diminish the value of the education or experiences I've gained from it. The professors here are enthusiastic about their subjects and it shows in their teaching. Because Allegheny's small size classes are not over packed and you actually get one on one time with professors. They care more for their students than professors at large universities do. There's a ton of clubs and sports teams to join and your dorm mates can become fantastic friends. However it's not all perfect of course. The party scene is pretty weak though and housing can be a huge pain in the ass. There is also a large sticker price but Allegheny gives a lot away in financial aid, everyone I know here has some kind of financial aid. Also the main dining hall isn't the most appetizing. Still, Allegheny College is a fine institution that is worth at the least visiting.
fantastic school, great professors, good party scene for school of its size , only minor defect is the Meadville area is very sub par.
I love Allegheny College! However, the courses here are rigorous and challenging. If you are planning to come here, be ready for the overload of work given.
Having a great time so far. Classes are tough, but teachers encourage the use of office hours. Athletic teams aren't the best, but we all support each other. Greek life is pretty big on campus, but it doesn't control everything.
Sexual assault will unfortunately be a problem on every college campus. Allegheny mains, students, and offices supported students who were victims of sexual assault through informing the community of safe practices, helping victims, and taking appropriate action in cases of sexual assault.
Start Your Review of Allegheny College
Allegheny isn't as well-known as it ought to be. However, you're able to see how valuable your education was only after you've left campus. Despite the lack of a prestigious name, once internships and employers see your Allegheny work-ethic and how diverse your interests are you are help in high-regard.
If you're looking for marble staircases and oak bed-frames then SERIOUSLY reconsider why you want to go to college. Allegheny does a great job at bringing together students fro diverse socioeconomic backgrounds. As such, money that might otherwise be spent on the latest and greatest drops/amenities will be bypassed to ensure a quality education where diverse opinions, experiences, and interests intersect in the Allegheny community. As such, the dorms here are average, sometimes a little under-par. But, the college-owned apartments are FANTASTIC and the houses are a lot of fun. There's a place for everyone.
Greek life here is big. But, it doesn't fit the typical "Animal House" stereotype. I personally felt indifferent to the greek life merely because of the imprint Greek Life has left on American higher Education. However, that being said, many of my closest friends were greek. They were a fun bunch o hangout with but didn't dominate the social scene. You're able to find the comradely that comes with the Greek system on other avenues of community (club sports teams, ensembles, from halls, etc.).