Academy of Art University Reviews

2,351 reviews
As an emerging artist, I really wanted to enroll in a school that would guide me on my journey to being successful and cultivate my skills to a professional level as I enter a largely competitive industry. I am so glad I chose the Academy of Art. The entire staff has been nothing short of wonderful, informative and helpful. I could not ask for better individuals to learn from. They are professional and passionate about helping all their students find their place in whatever industry they choose and are never not preforming their duties at their absolute best. I am only a freshman at this point in time but I can already feel that I am much farther along than what I would've been had I chosen to pursue art independently. The knowledge I have gained is invaluable and I can only imagine my progress at the end of the year, let alone as a graduate.
I am an online only student taking synchronized classes as I could not afford to move from Texas to San Francisco while also being concerned about COVID numbers. The online learning experience for me has been made as simple and clear cut as possible by my professors and I commend them for handling such matters the way they have. Though we are all still learning and adjusting to this new form of education, each of my professors has been stupendously organized with their Zoom meetings and each assignment is always explained in our discussion topics, so I can view the requirements any time without confusion. I feel that I am easily able to follow along and have rarely been confused in the past month I have attended.
Academy of Art University seemed appealing with promises of networking throughout your schooling experience and counselors there to guide you to success in a competitive industry. In addition, the ability to attend online made it convenient to attend from anywhere, rather than having to relocate. However, they are NOT in it for the student's best interest. They lie about graduation rates, they lie about enrollment. In fact, it came out that admissions held contests of who could enroll the most and win vacations. Their pursuit of profit became evident to me in the fall of 2010. I was due with my first baby and coupled with a full time job, I expressed wanting to take a semester off to figure out how to juggle motherhood and work first, then adding in school in the spring. My advisor assured me I could just do lecture based courses, which I agreed to try. Sure enough, it was too much when baby came. I wanted to simply transfer everything to the next semester but could not without more $
Start Your Review of Academy of Art University
A very quick process to start and get enrolled. Within two weeks I was fully enrolled from starting my application, transcripts, and completing my FAFSA.
AAU has been super friendly to work with. The staff and team is always very communicative and kind as well.
It isn't like you get anything other schools aren't offering. Do the assignments and submit to the page. Some teachers go for video feedback which is nice. Others will type it out and leave it as a comment on your work. I do like how they have checkpoints in the lessons to see what you've read and where you've left out on. There are some quizzes sprinkled into the lessons followed up by a quiz on each chapter.
It's pretty average. Though I have only done online so it always feels impersonal. I have a few problems with it's grading system when it comes to having students giving critique on projects. It isn't encouraged like you are getting extra credit for it. Instead it is just another grade. Which leads to a bunch of last minute generic comments like, "oh nice colors" I have seen stuff like that with almost every assignment now.

One more issue I have with it is that they try to not accept transferable credits. I got sent from junior year to sophmore when I transferred. I had to submit several portfolios to get back those credits.
It is so easy to navigate your way through your classes, and if you aren't sure where to find something then don't worry! The Academy has webinars every week that show you how to find everything you could possibly need.
The Academy genuinely cares about your success. To them you are not another statistic, you're an investment. They call you every month to see how you are doing and remind you of all the services they offer to help make your experiences easier on you. The professors are always available to help you when you need it.
It is pretty simple to navigate. Before you start your first semester, they have you go through a workshop that teaches you how everything works. Ten out of ten would recommend.
The staff is friendly and efficient. The teachers are always willing to help with whatever you may have problems with. The online portal is very easy to navigate.
The online experience is a lot easier than you would initially expect! As long as you keep yourself accountable and no your limits about course load anyone can be successful!
The professors are wonderful and the online experience is almost as good as the campus i believe. Art school is definitely expensive but getting the fundamentals and know how are irreplaceable.
Get away! Don't attend if you enrolled, get your money back. RUN. Look at the complaints on the Better Business Bureau website. This place is not accredited. They will not give you a diploma. They will take your money!
My experience overall with my school was amazing not just because I attend the school, but even when you first apply/ sign up they are so kind and caring. They work at the level that you are at to encourage you to achieve the goal that you are trying to reach. Instructors, Mentors, and Advisors email you and call you to check how you are doing with classes and homework. I have not yet been to the school in person, however I can't wait to attend classes in person.
The online experience is amazing and organized. The instructors are very helpful to make sure you know where everything is also if you are new to online classes there are workshops that you can attend to help you understand how to check your grades, how to submit homework/assignments, how to check you student email basically everything you need to know about online classes. They will provide instructions on how things work. Instructors also encourage you to keep doing your work and to see how things are going as if you were in class face to face.
Start Your Review of Academy of Art University
My experience has been great. I was given step by step instructions from day one. The program is amazing with top companies in the industry hiring specifically from the school.
The online program is the second best program in the nation. It makes it easy to learn and submit your assignments.
It was very easy applying to the school and the counselors are always there to help with any questions and concerns. The school is very nice and the faculty as well. There is a process to transfer to that school but it doesn’t take long. I was able to sign up for classes easy and quick.