- 4 Year
- SAN FRANCISCO, CA
- Academicsgrade B minus
- Valuegrade C minus
- Diversitygrade A+
- Campusgrade B minus
- Athleticsgrade B
- Party Scenegrade A minus
- Professorsgrade B minus
- Locationgrade A+
- Dormsgrade B minus
- Campus Foodgrade A minus
- Student Lifegrade A minus
- Safetygrade B
Established in 1929, Academy of Art University is the largest private accredited art and design school in the nation. Located in San Francisco, the epicenter of culture and technology, Academy of Art University has a diverse population of more than 16,000 students from around the world. Academy of Art University believes that all students interested in studying art and design should have the opportunity to do so, and its no-barrier admissions policy makes this possible. We welcome students from all over the world for our 30 programs and various degree levels.
Academy of Art University Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
Will You Get In?
Most Popular Majors
- Computer Graphics168 Graduates
- Drafting and Design (CAD/CADD)128 Graduates
- Animation, Video Graphics and Special Effects124 Graduates
- Fashion and Apparel Design84 Graduates
- Fashion and Apparel Merchandising66 Graduates
- Photography66 Graduates
- Cinematography and Video Production63 Graduates
- Apparel and Textile Science57 Graduates
- Illustration57 Graduates
- Web Page and Digital Design43 Graduates
- Mix of Online and on Campus37%
- On Campus9%
- Tough but rewarding21%
- Here you will find the tools to become great.19%
- You HAVE to be passionate or you won't like it12%
- Creativity and passion at its finest11%
- The pursuit of happiness begins here.9%
- Your wallet matters5%
More opinions are needed to display this poll. Take our survey
Academy of Art University Reviews
I was in the Game Development department (second biggest department) and I always had a comfortable connection with all my teachers. Class sizes are always bigger in the freshman year, but the school puts a max so it's not overcrowded and students have enough time for meaningful critics.
This is the only school that I went to, and compared to my friends the attendance policy is relatively strict. Standard full-time schedule is 4 classes a week (each class is 3-6hrs long). As an artist your homework is always going to revolved around creating more assets for your portfolio or practicing skills to contribute to your profession.
Since the school is in the city, buildings are scattered with free shuttles to move between class and dorms. Nice school to enjoy San Francisco.